iphone 3G users...what WILL charge it?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Sosha

I'm learning that a lot of current speaker systems/in-car set-ups will NOT charge the new 3G iphone.

Can we start a thread listing devices that we know WILL and WILL NOT chrarge the new iphone? I'll start with a note from USAspec (the folks who made the cable hookup for the ipod in my car):

WILL NOT CHARGE 3G:
USAspec cables (new cable to come out in 6-7 weeks)

WILL CHARGE 3G:

BusyDaDJ

Will Not Charge 3G
Pioneer AVIC D3 - CD-I200 iPod Direct Connection Cable

hey8you

WILL NOT CHARGE 3G:
Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod® Control Interface

WILL CHARGE 3G:

Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod® Control Interface with Kensington 4-in-1 Car Charger for iPod K33368

Been using the above setup for about 4 days now with no problems.

angusshangus

WILL NOT CHARGE 3G:
firewire to brick wall charger that came with 3rd gen iPods
BMW factory iPod interface
MINI factory iPod interface

Sosha

To sum up so far:

what WILL charge:
Kensington 4-in-1 Car Charger for iPod K33368

what WILL NOT charge:
USAspec cable model PA11 – HON2y (new cable to come out in 6-7 weeks)

Keep the info coming, gang! This thread could be useful to others.......

mshaf

Alpine head unit with dock connector will also not charge it.

Mephiska

Will Charge iPhone 3G:
Griffin iTrip and AutoPilot Car adapters
Kensington LiquidAux and LiquidAux Deluxe

Sosha

WILL CHARGE:
Logitech AudioStation Express

WONT:
Altec Lansing IM3

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
kloan said:
Are these all charging via Firewire?

Do any USB chargers not work?
Any USB charger should work fine, provided it puts out the necessary current (lower-current chargers may power the iPhone, and even engage the charging circuit, but will charge slowly or not at all).

The only devices that are completely out are FireWire-based chargers. With the exception of car adapters, almost every other major accessory that won't charge the iPod is probably at least two years old. Almost every accessory that was designed and/or built in the 4G iPod era used 12V FireWire charging.

Car chargers are the notable exception simply because a number of manufacturers have tended to "cheat" and just use the unmodified 12VDC from the car's electrical systems, despite Apple's guidelines to the contrary.

kloan

SSMoy
jhollington said:
Car chargers are the notable exception simply because a number of manufacturers have tended to "cheat" and just use the unmodified 12VDC from the car's electrical systems, despite Apple's guidelines to the contrary.
Oh.. that's unfortunate. I sure hope the one I bought didn't do that. I paid more for it specifically because it was guaranteed to work with the iPhone. But that was the 1st gen...

MichiHenning

WILL CHARGE:

Original Apple power supply.

I just figured, considering how many devices WON'T charge it, that was quite remarkable and worth pointing out ;)

Michi.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
kloan said:
Oh.. that's unfortunate. I sure hope the one I bought didn't do that. I paid more for it specifically because it was guaranteed to work with the iPhone. But that was the 1st gen...
If you bought an adapter from a mainstream accessory maker that was certified to work with the iPhone, it should be fine with the iPhone 3G.

Unlike the original "Made-for-iPod" program, the "Works with iPhone" certification requires that accessories be built to certain specs, which Apple actually tests before the accessory can be released.

12V FireWire charging has been off the docket for at least two years. Only older accessories should still be using that method of charging. Newer accessories that are still causing problems have simply chosen not to follow Apple's guidelines. Of course, to be fair, most unauthorized accessories don't have access to Apple's specs....

Mind you, there are also some absolutely insane accessories out there that fly-by-night outfits have chosen to brand as iPhone compatible without any kind of certification from Apple.... These most likely won't have the "Works with iPhone" logo on them, but the manufacturer will list the device as working with the iPhone. For example, one such accessory was a battery pack that is supposed to charge the iPhone from 2 AA batteries..... An impossible feat when you consider that the iPhone uses a 3.7V battery, and two AA batteries will only supply 3V of power. :shake:

Last edited:

Sosha

To summarize, so far:

what WILL charge:
Kensington 4-in-1 Car Charger for iPod K33368
Logitech AudioStation Express
original Apple power supply
Griffin iTrip and AutoPilot Car adapters
Kensington LiquidAux and LiquidAux Deluxe

what WILL NOT charge:
USAspec cable model PA11 – HON2y
Apple iPod Hi-Fi
original Bose Sounddock
Altec Lansing IM3
Alpine Head unit with dock connector

kyussmondo

The Alpine KCA-420i will NOT charge the iPhone 3G, but will charge the iPhone 2.5G and all iPods. Anyone know Apple's reasoning behind this move, or is this just another cost cutting exercise? It is annoying. I have had that Alpine unit for a few years now and it still works great, so there is no need to change it any time soon.