iphone 3G, so many people wait to buy...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
well, as you know, a lot of people get in the line to buy one, and activate phone at the same time. but today, I asked employees, saw podcast that you can activate it at your home just like first Gen iphone. the process is the same. somebody told me that apple store, AT&T use special version of itunes 7.7 which is only available at store. it turns out all bull ####. two companies just made their own policy. customers are more painful to get one. why don't they just sell it, everything on activation will be home? I don't get it. today, lots of people still were in the line. even other customers had to get in line to get in freaking store. this is all xxxx. as matter of fact, I don't have time to wait in the line for new phone. I have to work, don't like to do that way. why don't apple just sell it through online? if you watch geek briefTV podcast, how easily you can do activation at home. well...

kyussmondo

You still have to activate the iPhone as before. The thing that is different is you have to enter into a contract before you can leave with the phone. The SIM and works fine (I have it in an unlocked phone till I get my iPhone 3G) but the iPhone just needs activating before it will work.

The carriers are getting you to sign contracts in store now because they know how many people unlocked the first iPhone, plus this time they are subsidising the phone. The old way would be a lot more smoother and efficient, although that would mean lots of lost revenue for the carriers with people unlocking and using other networks instead. All other phones are the same, why complain they are doing it with the iPhone? Whether you agree or disagree the exclusive carrier and iPhone go hand in hand.

Last edited:

bg5067

Here in the UK the process took like 5 mins for me to upgrade from my old iphone

just went in upgrade passed in 60 seconds sigend for the upgrade got the phone and left swoped the sim connect iTunes 7.7 and there ya go activated in around 2 mins. so went well for me lol

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
kyussmondo said:
You still have to activate the iPhone as before.

That's not exactly true. You CAN activate it from home, if Apple and ATT let you do it. In other words, the original idea was that the phone would have to be activated in-store, but because of the high demand that crashed Apple's activation servers, they sent people home to activate them rather than wait around in the store for hours while the servers came back up. There is a custom version of iTunes that they use in Apple and ATT stores, but they abandoned it when the servers got overloaded. So it wasn't bull#### like the OP suggested, just not a technical limitation. It was strictly a policy change.