iPad price gouging on eBay

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Looks like people are already selling their pre-ordered iPads on eBay. The asking prices are over $2000.00 for a 64GB WiFi model. This is crazy since no one has even done a tear down on one yet. The 2nd Gen iPad will probably multitask and have a camera.

Edited to remove link. Forum Policy - no soliciting members or advertising of other websites, forums or blogs.

Last edited by a moderator:

JSRinUK

There's one on there (http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Apple-Laptops-Notebooks-/111422/i.html?_nkw=ipad&_catref=1&_fln=1&_sc=1&_sop=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282) with a price of $21,000,000 - and that's only for the 16GB version!

I don't know what that guy's been smoking, but I think he should share it around..! :D

Who in their right mind would pay over the odds for what is effectively a "second-hand" iPad - with no warranty, no protection, nothing...

:shake: Such people shouldn't be let out on the streets.

jwc110869

Technology made me fat
They are just trying to take advantage of the fact that the release date isn't an international release. If its a rip off, then I would suggest not paying the outrageous price......

anypats

This isn't surprising at all. This thing happens all the time. Even Tickle Me Elmo's have sold for prices in the hundreds of dollars just because it is an in-demand item and is not available from retailers. People will purposefully buy items they believe will have a higher value on the secondary market. The problem here is that no one knows if the iPads are going to be in short supply. Estimates say that iPad orders yesterday reached somewhere between 90,000 and 125,000 units. We have no indication as to how many Apple will have available on launch day and how quickly they will be able to fill orders. People of course are hoping to cash in on a big payday but I really don't know how many people will really be willing to pay a couple grand for something that costs less than half of that.

kornchild2002

#### all those predictable #######s. They always do this whenever someone releases a new high demand product. I remember that I ended up purchasing two Xbox 360 Pro models when the console launched (one was supposed to be for a cousin) but they didn't want it. That was when the console was $399. I turned around and sold it on eBay for $450 just so I could pay for shipping and get something out of standing in line for 15 hours in front of Best Buy. All of those other people just clicked on the pre-order button at 8:30 AM EST.

Apple hasn't stopped taking iPad pre-orders either so it isn't like they are running out of these. Sure, they may have sold 91,000 pre-orders in the first day but that drastically decreased on Saturday and will continue to decrease. Are people so stupid that they think they can get $2,000 out of a $700 that won't be all that hard to find (ie Apple.com)? What's worse is that I think there are people mentally challenged enough that they would pay such an outrageous price.

wyneken

I wonder if, in some weird way, overpaying dramatically is like a badge of honor to these people. Like, "Standing in line just to pay retail price is for LITTLE people. I'm so big that I just tossed out $2000 and look, the seller even provided a Certificate of Authenticity, suitable for framing. I'm never even going to use this thing, just keep it sealed in the box."

snowdog99

I think it just goes to prove that, as P T Barnum reputedly said, there's a sucker born every minute.

kornchild2002

I wonder if, in some weird way, overpaying dramatically is like a badge of honor to these people.
More like a badge of ######edness. I rarely ever use that word to describe the way people act simply because it is offense to people who are truly challenged. I normal say that people are dumb, stupid, or mentally challenged when it comes to this type of stuff. However, I must say this: anyone who pays over retail price (not including taxes and shipping) for an iPad is outright stupid and anyone who pays $2000+ for an iPad is ######ed. I don't mean to offend people who are actually challenged but it is the truth.

Edit: Oh look, the iLounge forums edit out the word ######ed. Hmm... I never noticed that. I guess there are some people who will find anything offensive.

Gospel

Actually, this isn't a bad idea after thinking about it. Pre-order two 64GB WiFi-only iPads at US$1,400. Sell one for US$2,000 to someone overseas who just has to be the first one in their area to get one. The sale of the extra ipad ends up paying for both iPads with US$600 minus shipping costs left over. Not a bad deal for the seller.

Personally, I don't want to bother with the eBay auction and shipping the iPad overseas. It would be my luck, the check would bounce. But if someone else can do this and pull it off, more power to them! AFAIK, there is nothing illegal about it. Well, there may be US export restrictions to certain countries. But, that is all I can think of.

Enjoy life!
Steven

TechnologyCoach

Website
www.njpctraining.com
Kornchild - It's obvious I'm new here, but I see right off the bat you're intelligent, and have a unique perspective on things.

Surely you can see though, there is "######edness" everywhere, not just in buying of products... let them be :cool:

kornchild2002

I am going to let them be. Hell, they can spend $2000+ on a $500-$700 product if they want to. Who am I to dictate what one should do with their money or time? That doesn't stop them from being ######ed and having me point that out.

Gospel, yes, it is a good idea if you are on the selling end. Essentially "taking advantage" of people who have the money or they really, really, really want an iPad. That being said, the people spending that much money on the iPad are ######ed. Hell, I wouldn't mind spending $1400 for two 64GB iPads and selling one for $2000. That would be a $600 profit (by the time both iPads are paid off and I would get to keep one). I could even sell both for $4000 and make $2600 on the whole deal. That still wouldn't stop me from saying that the people spending that much money on a 64GB iPad are ######ed.

Swampthing

Website
www.speakeasy.org
As we all should be fully aware by now, the Gougers and the Greedy come out with every new product launch anyway. Just like Wall Street, they blindly confuse "capitalism" with greed.

Any iPad selling for thousands or millions of dollars won't actually recoup the selling price. They are just looking for media attention from some ignorant news reporter who will say "someone just paid $30,000 for an iPad!!!" The followup of course is that the sale will either be pulled, go without bids, or the winner never collecting the money. But you won't hear that part on the news.

kornchild2002

eBay normally does a good job of shutting down auctions like this. They normally leave them up until a few people notify them of what is going on.

On a side note, I am glad that Martin was banned. He kept putting up links to his ####### "iPad" website to try to pull in advertising revenue. I had a feeling it would come to this as they never stopped posting outside links. Oh well.

JSRinUK

On a side note, I am glad that Martin was banned. He kept putting up links to his ####### "iPad" website to try to pull in advertising revenue. I had a feeling it would come to this as they never stopped posting outside links. Oh well.
Oh, is that what happened to him? I thought he went quiet.

On the subject of ebaying iPads, I'd rather wait until they're legitimately available in my country. We have certain protections such as the DSR and SOGA which don't tend to apply to personal sales. I wouldn't risk spending so much and having little-to-no protection. Those who pay over the odds and throw away such protection for the sake of saving just a couple of weeks really need their heads testing.

Thornhammer

I think a lot more likely is that the high bidders will back out. Could well be people trying to crash other sellers' auctions.

$21,000 is a joke bid.

kornchild2002

Do you mean Apple? Mac is the tern synonymous with their computers and operating system, it is not the company's name though. We are not talking about the Mac iPad or Mac iPhone, it is the Apple iPad and Apple iPhone. That would be like saying Gas Fusion instead of Ford Fusion.