iPad not charging when plugged into usb on macbook

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

andreakat01

title pretty much says it all-I've always plugged iPad into my macbook and have had no problem. The iPad is recognized by iTunes and is able to synch but will not charge. It is able to charge using the same usb cord plugged into the standard plug unit. Any ideas?

kornchild2002

Is this something that has always happened or is it just occurring now? Are you using an older MacBook or a newer one? Is it a MacBook or MacBook Pro?

andreakat01

Mac book is older-purchased in '07. I've had my iPad since Dec 10 and have had no problem charging through usb on MacBook until a week ago. Seems like it started after the most recent updates were installed.

kornchild2002

Technically speaking, your MacBook should not have been charging your iPad. The iPad requires more than the standard USB 2.0 power supply and Apple didn't start incorporating that into their MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and MacBook Airs until 2009. I can tell you that your iPad is charging through your MacBook when it isn't syncing. In other words, after the syncing process is over with, your iPad is drawing power from your MacBook. It is just at a slower rate so you see the "Not Charging" notification at the top. Windows notebook and desktop users see this notification all the time because their USB ports are incapable of properly charging an iPad. It just means that, instead of taking 4 hours to completely charge an iPad, it will take 6-7 hours.

There isn't much you can do other than making sure your have the latest updates for your system. I don't know what version of OS X you are running but you can easily update everything (OS X, firmware, and drivers) by clicking on the Apple icon in the upper left and then clicking on Software Update.