iPad Mini vs. Google Nexus 7

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tazz3

Android os is messy and buggy.iam geting rid of my android tablet and geting an ipad.
I should have gotten the ipad to start with but iwas brain washed by android users..

iaanhayden

The Nexus 7 processor examines far ahead of its competitors and may supply an entirely distinct grade of gaming experience. Apple’s iPad mini apparently is the lightest tablet among the three. Besides, the construct value and aesthetics of Apple products order esteem and esteem across the world.

sandiees

I agree that android feels a bit messy. I'm still looking to get an ipad mini. Hopefully an update will come soon about the ipad mini 2.

jijitina

nexus 7? I want to know the difference between galaxy note 8.0 and iPad mini. I saw a review about it on Aneesoft blog. But I need more details about them. Any information will be welcome! :)

Sparkee

nexus 7? I want to know the difference between galaxy note 8.0 and iPad mini. I saw a review about it on Aneesoft blog. But I need more details about them. Any information will be welcome! :)
I would say at this point your biggest decision would be whether you want Apple's closed iOS or Google's more open Android operating system. Both have their good and bad points. I'm sure you can find the apps on both systems for your needs. The only real reason to go with the iPad is if you have a collection of iTunes purchased video or older copy protected music.

With that said I still prefer my Apple ecosystem and have yet to try an Andriod product. I do plan on getting either a Nexus or a Galaxy to play with soon but I'll still keep my iDevices for the foreseeable future.

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
The best one is the one that you will use and that does what you want it to do, does it well, and doesn't fight against the user. I will never understand why people seem to get their undies in a bunch because someone says "I think x is better than y and here is why..."

If I prefer x it is better, to me, for me, than y. If you don't like x and you prefer y, bully for you. But why hang out on an x-message board? Just so you can stand up and sanctimoniously proclaim that anyone who likes x is a "fanboy".

I was recently complaining about configuring a Dell Tablet, wishing that it was as easy to configure as my iPad. Not because I don't understand Dells or Windows XP, or because I am an "apple fan girl". The original requisition for one of our programs (I teach IT in a technical school and am the on site tech) was for iPads, but the district tech person said "No, these do the same things!" which anyone who has used an iPad knows is like saying "You don't need a car, this bike is the same thing." Yes, both are vehicles, but they are not interchangeable in all situations.

Of course out of the woodwork come the trolls..."Why an iPad? Why not the other tablets on the market? Ipads are for stupid people who don't know what they're doing. Apple sucks!"

First of all, grow the heck up. I could care less about someone else's opinion. Why an iPad? Because that's what the non-technical program researched and found apps for; apps that cannot be played on a Dell POS tablet. Why was I irritated? Because in trying to find a purpose for these ridiculous Dell tablets I was continuosly frustrated by the notion that a useable option is a computer OS in a tablet format that isn't touch-friendly, uses too much RAM, is absolutely maddening to install a driver on, etc.

I love to tinker as much as the next guy. I have Linux, Chrome OS, Server 2008 and 2012, Windows 7 and 8 all on both of my Macs. I also have two PCs that I built and 2 iPads, an iPhone and various and sundry iPods. When I want to tinker, I'll take a netbook or use a virtual machine to tinker my way through something I'm interested in. When I just want something to work, I reach for my iMac or my iPad. I'm not sure why that is threatening to some nimrod who prefers Windows, but it seems it always is.

If you don't like Apple, don't buy one. Easy peasy, but don't assume that this somehow elevates you to a higher plane.

kornchild2002

I would say at this point your biggest decision would be whether you want Apple's closed iOS or Google's more open Android operating system. Both have their good and bad points.
The main issue with Android, aside from it still not performing as smoothly as iOS, is that app developers often program for iOS first and foremost. Then they contract out and have their iOS app ported over to Android. This is true for tablets and smartphones. Some developers program for Android first (or solely) but cross-platform apps are often best under iOS even with limited hardware. An iPad 2, iPad 3, or iPad mini will run a cross-platform app smoother than the latest quad-core Android tablet/phone with 8GB of RAM running Android 4.2.

It's not that Android tablets aren't powerful enough or aren't running the right hardware, they are. They offer setups that are thinner and more powerful than any iPad on the market. The main issue is the software still isn't specific to that hardware, more apps are available for iOS (both on phones and tablets), and most cross-platform apps are developed for iOS first and then sloppily ported to Android.

Sparkee

The main issue with Android, aside from it still not performing as smoothly as iOS, is that app developers often program for iOS first and foremost. Then they contract out and have their iOS app ported over to Android. This is true for tablets and smartphones. Some developers program for Android first (or solely) but cross-platform apps are often best under iOS even with limited hardware. An iPad 2, iPad 3, or iPad mini will run a cross-platform app smoother than the latest quad-core Android tablet/phone with 8GB of RAM running Android 4.2.

It's not that Android tablets aren't powerful enough or aren't running the right hardware, they are. They offer setups that are thinner and more powerful than any iPad on the market. The main issue is the software still isn't specific to that hardware, more apps are available for iOS (both on phones and tablets), and most cross-platform apps are developed for iOS first and then sloppily ported to Android.
Thanks for the info. My main use for a Nexus 7 would be for a large screen GPS simply using cached Google maps, tethered data off my iPhone or even just get the cellular version. It is a cheaper alternative at $2-300 for Nexus than $3-450 for an ipad mini to dedicate to one use. Other than a little experimenting for my uses I would probably only use Googles apps anyway. It will probably be permanently mounted in a truck and subject to abuse so the cheaper alternative wil not hurt as bad if damaged beyond repair.:rolleyes:

kornchild2002

It's definitely not bad for an inexpensive tablet and would serve as a good GPS unit when using Google Maps. That's about all I would do with it though as, even at this point, the Nexus 7 is starting to show its age in terms of hardware.

Flyboybob

A blast from the past, a golden oldie, this discussion reminds me of the OS war between Apple and Windows in the late 90s and early 2000s. Same arguments, similar rantings but this time with a different outcome. Back then the enterprise portion of the computer business was wedded to the IBM standard which included MS. Apple couldn't even create a crack in their solid wall. However, with the internet, smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices it's the public who will decide and not corporate IT managers. Apple today is actually making inroads in the enterprise world with iPhones and iPads primarily by having tight integration between the OS and the hardware which may actually have an advantage when it comes to data security.