iPad IOS14.6 Safari bookmark "changed"!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PerranOak

I have the BBC Weather website for my area as a bookmark on favourites and have had it, unchanged, for years.

Today when I clicked on it an IOS message came up warning that this was an insecure site and I should close it. The web address was a great long one - not the normal one. In my idiotic panic I deleted it without noting the address.

I force-closed Safari and cleared all website data.

How could this happen? Does it mean I have a virus or something?

Cheers.

cjmnews

Staff member
There are a few possibilities for a message like that.
  • The most minor is an http only site that shows insecure in the bar instead of the lock symbol. I have an example linked.
  • The usual problem is an old link that was redirecting automatically to a more modern link. Sometimes the redirect just can’t follow the path and it Gives up. You can fix this by going back to bbc.com type in your location and that should give you a new link to bookmark.
  • Sometimes the site has a problem with their https certificate, and it can’t be validated properly. This can also happen with old links, because the administrators changed the server hierarchy, and the link can’t get the correct certificate anymore. I find this with shopping sites where I click a link on something I ordered a year ago, and see that error.
Generally a big site like the BBC has layers of protection to prevent viruses and hacking.

cjmnews

Staff member
Highly unlikely. There are very few attacks on iOS, Apple fixes ones that are discovered quickly.

petrtom

If you have synchronization with other devices activated, it might be possible that some plugin has changed the url (some nasty plugins added by adware programs change things like your default search engine without asking, so it won’t surprise me if there’s one that changes your favorites to force you to watch some ads before being able to access them). However, safari for iPadOS does not support plugins, as far as I know