iPad backup falling over

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Kim F

My PC crashed when syncing my ipad - I was having a few problems with the latest MS 10 update which was making PC unstable. When I next tried to Sync, I got a message saying previous backup was corrupt. I followed the iTunes instructions on deleting the last backup files. When I try to Sync or backup, it falls over at exactly the same spot (according to the progress bar) Itunes says the iPad has never been backed up to this PC. When I go in via file explorer, I can see a backup folder and files has been created by previous backup attempt. I've tried physically deleting the folder created but the Sync continues to fail at same spot. Running latest version of iTunes

cjmnews

Staff member
Your backup is usually located at C:\Users\<login>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup in a directory with a long hexadecimal name, the AppData folder is hidden, so you'll need to allow hidden folders to be seen to get there.

You can tell the right one by comparing the date on the folder with iTunes Edit->Preferences, Devices Tab for the device. I usually use Windows Explorer to delete my backup folder (holding Shift and press Delete to remove permanently) as then I can be sure the entire backup was removed.
I don't know if the Delete Backup button in iTunes actually removes everything or not.

Once you delete the folder with Windows Explorer, reboot the PC and the iPad, and you should be able to back up successfully.

Kim F

Thank you, I have deleted the entire folder via Windows Explorer but it continues to freeze at the approx the same spot during the Sync after said deletion

cjmnews

Staff member
I was kind of afraid of that. I am assuming you rebooted as well (restarts the Apple Helper services and possibly clear the issue in the iPad).

3 ideas:
First: Can you backup to iCloud? We all get 5 GB of space there, I don't use much of mine, but it is space we have. My thought is that if you can successfully backup to iCloud, then restore the iPad from iCloud backup, this may fix something that was corrupted with the failed backup in the iPad. Then you can back up to the PC again. I suppose if your iPad is full of messages and pictures this will not work as there will not be enough space.

Second: Have you checked the event log of the PC for drive errors (something made the PC crash, could have been the update, could be the PC)?
What I do is open Event Viewer and go into Windows Logs, then System.
Then I click the top bar in the Level column to sort by level. That way all the criticals and errors are at the top.

Then I look at the source column for Disk those are hard drive errors. Since it is sorted by Level, the dates are out of order. It should not take long to scroll through all the errors.
The error should look like "bad block" or "driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR3" where the numbers could be different.
If you have this, you need to either fix it with SpinRite (does not run on some HPs due to partition games HP plays) or get a new hard drive/SSD, backup your current drive, put Windows 10 on the new drive, restore the backup.

Third: Contact Apple Support. Per their article on this issue: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203271

Kim F

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I pay a bit extra and have 50Gb available via Apple cloud. When I back up to the cloud, it works, no error messages but iTunes says both before and after the backup, I have never backed up to the cloud. I'll check my event viewer after work

Kim F

Hmmm, yesterday performed a successful backup to cloud, however, its not giving me an option to restore from the cloud.

Kim F

Hooray, restore from iCloud worked, then backed up to PC and that worked as well. Thanks very much for the guidance!

cjmnews

Staff member
Cool, I figured something got corrupted in the crash, and this would fix it.

OliverYY

I got the same thing when i tried to update my iPod last night. When i called apple they said that there was something wrong with my pc, not my iPod. Im not sure that i believe this but i'm going to get my computer checked out anyway.