iPad 4 iOS 7.x issues ...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gedansky

I have had an iPad 4 for about a year and a half now, and everything was pretty much great until iOS 7. Then I noticed a HUGE drop in battery life. There isn't a trouble shooting question anyone could ask me that I haven't answered. I keep my screen at 50% power, I have my auto off set for 2 to 5 minutes. I don't have a huge number of messages, notifications or anything coming in, and I don't even have a ton of apps running.

I have been swapped twice, so far, and each time the problems are the same. A movie kills my battery in as little as 2.5 hours (from 100% to 0). 10 minutes of facebook drops me 10%.

My most recent device, which I have only had for a week, has been pretty good, but is already starting to show signs of the same issues. A week ago, I ran a test, running movies, and got the promised battery life. But, last night I used my ipad intermittently for about 20 minutes of music playback, then my son played Angry birds for an hour. It took me from 100% to about 50%. There is no way, even with the battery consumption of 2 D games, that an hour should kill 50% of my power.

Also, each time my device got swapped (twice so far), diagnostics showed that my battery life was hovering just in the green, at about 80%, after just a handful of months, and nowhere near the 250 recharges needed to drop battery life by 20% permanently. My most recent trade out couldn't be charged above 80% capacity after only 4 months of use. As they put, it, still in the green, but it shouldn't be dying that quickly.

I have also ready similar posts, though it's been a while. My next step, if I have to bring my current one back is to ask for a mini retina as my next replacement. Not, because I actually want one, but because it actually plays well with iOS7 and gets all the promised battery life, without any excuses.

If anyone has a magic answer that Apple is missing (they have, of course, suggested I trade in my iPad for a new one), I would appreciate it.

cjmnews

Staff member
I have the same iPad. I don't see the same behavior.

My battery seems to be the same as before. Have you tried a restore?
Are you using Apple cables for charging?

zoso4

To test your battery, try this test. It will tell you if you have a battery problem, or if you just use more than you realize.
So here's the test: write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

gedansky

I have the same iPad. I don't see the same behavior.

My battery seems to be the same as before. Have you tried a restore?
Are you using Apple cables for charging?
Several times. Each time a clean restore, and each time battery life gets progressively worse. The last two devices each tested out showing a greater than normal reduction in battery health, with the one I just traded out, being a 20% drop in battery health over a 4 month time period, without the estimated 250 charges needed to bring it about.

gedansky

To test your battery, try this test. It will tell you if you have a battery problem, or if you just use more than you realize.
So here's the test: write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by <1 minute . If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
I will give this a try. But, Apple's estimates of battery life based upon activity performed, were pretty spot on before iOS 7. Prior to iOS 7, If it said I could use WiFi for 10 straight hours, surfing the web, or sending/receiving emails etc., then I absolutely could. Today, I started doing email and office work at about 10am, and had a dead battery by 2pm. That's just email, webmail, typing notes, and imessage, all of which the technicians agreed shouldn't put a dent in my power.

FYI.. I also have no background apps running.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Several times. Each time a clean restore, and each time battery life gets progressively worse.
What do you mean by "clean restore"? If you mean that you restore the iPad instead of resetting it, that may not resolve the issue if you re-installed your backup after restoring. A corrupted backup can perpetuate a problem, so restoring does not accomplish much if you follow that process by loading a bunk backup file.

If by "clean restore" you mean that you did not load a prior backup at all after restoring the iPad (i.e. you gave the iPad a completely new name and had to re-do all your account setup, preferences, etc.) then that would be very unusual if you continue to have such battery issues.

So please confirm what you mean by "clean restore". For reference, my wife's iPad 4 on iOS 7 has much better battery performance than what you're seeing. I don't know the exact results, but on a recent flight she watched The Godfather (a 3 hour movie), played several rounds of blackjack and solitaire, and listened to music for a few hours and did not run out of juice. I specifically remember her commenting on how good the battery life was in fact.