iOS 4.2 on 2G iPod touch

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ThornXi

Has anyone upgraded their second gen. iPod Touch to the new system upgrade? If so, is it an improvement?
Don't do it if you have pirated music and/or Cydia installed (jailbroken). Updating it gets rid of anything like that. It happened to me....

Flyboybob

I realize that it will remove the Jailbreak. However, does it bring wallpaper to the second generation iPod Touch as it shows in the illustration on Apple's website? The only Jailbreak feature that I use is the wallpaper.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
However, does it bring wallpaper to the second generation iPod Touch as it shows in the illustration on Apple's website?
I have a 2G 32GB Touch running 4.2.1, and custom wallpaper on the home screen is not supported. Apple's illustration of the iOS 4.2 release incorrectly shows custom wallpaper on a Touch with a "2nd generation" below it, but this is an error.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
That depends on several variables ... such as what OS you're using now, and how you use your Touch. In general, 4.x is not going to do much for a 2G Touch. Probably the most useful thing in 4.x is keeping pace with the availability of certain apps, and maybe the new AirPlay in 4.2 (assuming you have an AirPlay device). 4.0 and 4.1 were battery hogs, but not if you turn off Push notifications, etc. I doubt that 4.2 is any better in this area, but time will tell.

mclaugh

Any news on a Smart Playlist dynamic updating fix? Seems crazy to even ask since it's been broken for so long..........

Sartre

Don't do it if you have pirated music and/or Cydia installed (jailbroken). Updating it gets rid of anything like that. It happened to me....
I don't know how it would detect if you have "pirated" music. Of course you have to wait for a new jailbreak to use cydia apps but you can back them up with pkgbackup.

I highly reccomend upgrading to 4.2 if you're currently on 4.0/4.1... it's noticably snappier. Still not as snappy as 3.x but quite acceptable (I can't vouch for gaming performance, as I don't play any.)

Raskolnikov

I updated last night. Seems vaguely snappier generally, but only very barely, if at all. I can't comment on battery usage yet. I upgraded for two reasons:

• 'Find in Page' in Safari, but this appears not to work for the 2G touch. (Drat.) :(

• AirPlay, which works a charm with the AirPort Express hooked up to our stereo. Much more handy than AirTunes as I very rarely have my iMac on these days (i.e. since getting the touch). :)

So, so far I'm a happy camper, but it wasn't quite the ground-breaking update I'd hoped for.

Last edited:

Misterkyu

Website
www.myspace.com
I tried it several times, it still lags, like about 10 seconds for videos to open, or just close by itself... What should I do? i don't want to do a restore, since i manually manage my media...

vocrobot

I have a 3rd gen Touch and although it probably isn't the volume levels seem louder with 4.2.1.

I listen mostly at night when going to sleep and at the absolute lowest volume level it is quite loud for me. Even when I'm out I only have to have the volume at a quarter for it to be loud enough with the earphones that I use.

1BadPig

For some reason 4.2 is sucking my 2G touch's battery dry even worse than when I updated to iOS 4! :(

meconio

Well I did and actually its basically the same for me, apparently for the IT2g the only gain is bug fixes, find in page an airprint don't work, airplay can't tell since I don't have apple TV to test it.

I wanna jailbreak it to see if I can get the "find in page" for safari, but as far as redsnow 0.9.6 b5, there is no option for enable just that, still just the home screen wallpaper and multitasking, I'll try enabling the multitask to see if that brings up the find in page.....I'll post my results.

meconio

Jailbreak with both redsnow 0.9.6 beta 4 and 5, but still one can only enable multitasking and home screen wallpaper, no find in page or AirPrint.

Kind of weird though that actually the multitasking doesn't work in my IT2G, with the jailbreak available. So I'll stick with just the wallpaper and no sb settings so my device won't feel slow.

Sartre

Download MyOS from Cydia and you can enable multitasking, or edit the plist manually. Here are the instructions from guitarman0121 via xxrkidxx on another board:

What You'll Need
A jailbroken iDevice on 4.2.1
Plist editor(iFile or whatever you have)
SSH

Open up WinSCP or iFile, and Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and open up either N82AP or N72AP.plist.

Make sure Multitasking is enabled, if you don't see
<key>multitasking</key>
<true/>
Then add it.

Find the section that says
<key>opengles-1</key>
<true/>
And change the 1 to a 2. Respring and there you go.