Invisible album in column browser conundrum

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Code Monkey

I had named the previous Glee CDs (keep your snickers to yourself ;)) in line with the MusicBrainz listing "Glee: The Music, Volume X", where Volume X is whatever the particular volume or subttle was for that particular album. This worked just fine until volume 4.

When I named volume 4, "Glee: The Music, Volume 4" it did not display in the album part of the column browser (the 2 or 3 part Genre/Artist/Album that is optionally at the top or left of your iTunes library). The tracks were there, they could be searched for, pulled in by smartlists, and they showed up in whole library or in a subset that should have contained them (e.g. clicking on Glee Cast for Artist in the column browser). The tracks were there, the meta data was indexed, but the album name would absolutely not display as part of the column browser.

I re-encoded the files, re-tagged them, even forced a revalidation of my iTunes library, nope, this album name absolutely would not show up in the column browser.

I changed the naming convention to "Glee: The Music - Volume X" and now they all show up.

I'm scratching my head. The original convention worked for seven different Glee albums without issue. It was only volume 4 that it disappeared. Can anyone else replicate this weirdness or shed any light. I always try to understand iTunes' quirks, but I'm clueless on this one.

ScoobZ

So the comma in the title seems to be what throws it off? That is odd. Not sure I can help. I know we have volumes 1 & 2 but I'm not sure about 3 &4.

ScoobZ

Well, as an experiment I changed the titles of 4 albums in my library here at work to:

Glee: The Music, Volume 1
Glee: The Music, Volume 2
Glee: The Music, Volume 3
Glee: The Music, Volume 4

I'm on iTunes v10.0.1.22. OS is XP SP3.

No matter which way I browse the library I see all four albums.

Code Monkey

It's not the comma, it's the whole name. I have volumes 1 & 2, the madonna, journey to regionals, blah blah, blah. They all work. It's just that for volume 4, that particular name won't show under albums in the music library. I've even assigned the name to a random test .mp3, poof, disappears. Yet, change the name to something like "Glee: The Music, Volume 4.1" and it shows fine. It's just that particular title that my iTunes won't display. Damnedest thing.

Code Monkey

Well, as an experiment I changed the titles of 4 albums in my library here at work to... I'm on iTunes v10.0.1.22. OS is XP SP3.

No matter which way I browse the library I see all four albums.
Thanks for try. I think I'm going to stop hurting my head over this one. I just tried and I can't replicate it on my wife's machine either. Easily reproducible on my machine, but it seems limited to some quirk of my machine and not a general bug in iTunes. This is the direct descendant of the same .itl file I started with in 2003, shouldn't be too surprised I found some bizarre quirk.

ScoobZ

It's not the comma, it's the whole name. I have volumes 1 & 2, the madonna, journey to regionals, blah blah, blah. They all work. It's just that for volume 4, that particular name won't show under albums in the music library. I've even assigned the name to a random test .mp3, poof, disappears. Yet, change the name to something like "Glee: The Music, Volume 4.1" and it shows fine. It's just that particular title that my iTunes won't display. Damnedest thing.

I mentioned the comma as that was the only difference I could see in the title. Changing it to 4.1 and having it work is crazy.

ScoobZ

Thanks for try. I think I'm going to stop hurting my head over this one. I just tried and I can't replicate it on my wife's machine either. Easily reproducible on my machine, but it seems limited to some quirk of my machine and not a general bug in iTunes. This is the direct descendant of the same .itl file I started with in 2003, shouldn't be too surprised I found some bizarre quirk.

There's another thread around here where a guy couldn't get a particular song to import but as soon as he changed the name of the song, boom!, it would import.

I've not experienced that or your situation. Knowing me the issue would hang around in the back of my head until I could figure it out. lol

S2_Mac

I'm curious as what name iTunes gave the album's folder (i.e. the tracks' container inside "iTunes Music" folder) when the album tag was set as "Glee: The Music, Volume 4"...might be a clue as to what tripped up the application.

ScoobZ

I'm curious as what name iTunes gave the album's folder (i.e. the tracks' container inside "iTunes Music" folder) when the album tag was set as "Glee: The Music, Volume 4"...might be a clue as to what tripped up the application.

Maybe it made the 4 a $ instead and the folder was hidden. lol

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Could it be that only Vol 4 is tagged as a Compilation, and your iTunes is set to "Group Compilations While Browsing"? That would hide the album from the browser, and would only be found by selecting Compilations in the iTunes browser.

ps Where did Apple move the "Group Compilations While Browsing" setting?

pps Wow, S2 is back!

ScoobZ

Could it be that only Vol 4 is tagged as a Compilation, and your iTunes is set to "Group Compilations While Browsing"? That would hide the album from the browser, and would only be found by selecting Compilations in the iTunes browser.
Interesting thought but when he changed the title to blah-blah-blah 4.1 it appeared.

Code Monkey

Naturally, I've been playing with this today as time allowed no matter what I said about forgetting about it :D

The folder idea was an angle I hadn't thought of but, alas, also not causing this. The folder is named as expected "Glee_ The Music, Volume 4"

I just noticed an even weirder element to the bug. It's only in the Music portion from the sources pane the album name is invisible in the column browser. If I view the column browsers from a playlist containing the "evil name", the album name does show up there.

Anyhow, whatever is causing it, I am now certain it has to do with some freak (but nearly completely benign) corruption in this particular *.itl file. I loaded up tracks with the ".., Volume 4" album name in my daughter's library and it's invisible, but her library file started out as a copy of mine. Then I loaded up the tracks in my lossless library, that library started completely fresh about 18 months ago and it shows up just fine. All three of these library files are on my PC here at home, so it has to be something in the *.itl file itself, and, oddly enough, something that predates whenever I forked the library files to manage my kids' iPods with a different library file than my main one.

ScoobZ

Naturally, I've been playing with this today as time allowed no matter what I said about forgetting about it :D
lol atta boy! :)

Anyhow, whatever is causing it, I am now certain it has to do with some freak (but nearly completely benign) corruption in this particular *.itl file. I loaded up tracks with the ".., Volume 4" album name in my daughter's library and it's invisible, but her library file started out as a copy of mine. Then I loaded up the tracks in my lossless library, that library started completely fresh about 18 months ago and it shows up just fine. All three of these library files are on my PC here at home, so it has to be something in the *.itl file itself, and, oddly enough, something that predates whenever I forked the library files to manage my kids' iPods with a different library file than my main one.

Is there a way to look inside the .itl file? It would be interesting to check it out in both conditions (offending title and non-offending title).