Inverted the screen, finally.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

star882

One tip: practice with something cheap like a calculator for the first time.
It'd be interesting if someone found out how to do this in firmware. That way, it can be easily undone. As for the colors, it would be even more interesting if someone found out how to change the colors in firmware. (Like how its possible to change the color of almost everything in KDE.)

idaedheloth

Junior Hobbit
Website
www.trevorshp.com
that is a really awesome mod. It's so original. do you think you could put together a little how-to? also, where did you get the filter from?

ryno3xx

Website
homepage.mac.com
Here is my method.

Yes it would be great to have a firmware way to do this, but there are side-effects, as were previously listed. On an LCD, each pixel has 2 states: neutral an on. under normal circumstances, about 10% of the screen is in on state. If this were reversed by firmware, 90% of the screen would be on, resulting in a power consumption increase of 9x. A hardware mod, instead of changing what pixels are on, changes what neutral and on look like.

I got my filter at polarization.com

The mod is quite simple. After first realizing that anything you do to your iPod with a razor blade can cause you great sadness and monetary loss, consider the following:

1) disassemble iPod (see other posts for photo how-to, warnings, etc.)
2) remove screen
3) take Xacto knife, razor blade ( shaped like /___\ is best), etc. to remove black foam border. do not discard or damage. you'll use it later.
4) use blade at as small an angle as possible to surface (near parallel) to remove top film. It is ~1mm thick. There are two surfaces, The outer one is the polarization filter, the inner is simply a clear film, likely an adhesion layer. Remove both. Be patient. The Filter is a rather tough material, the LCD is brittle. Too much pressure will break the LCD.

***never pull filter away from LCD. doing so will create a vacuum, bring all liquid***
***crystal to the middle, and ruin your LCD indefinitely****

5) use *mild* solvent to remove any adhesive glue left behind
6) reassemble iPod, not into its case, but just enough that it works.
7) take new polarizer filter and place over display
8) rotate to get desired effect.
9) cut out and place on screen
10) place black foam removed earlier back in place (failing to do so will let the backlight escape thru the casing.)
reassemble iPod

blick2000

Mini Killer (beware)
Can you detail the removal of the filter? Do you have to scrape the filter off like tape or use the blade to bring up a corner of the filter to peel back? I'm having trouble picturing the method of removal. Also did you buy the regular film or the self adhesive film?

Last edited:

ryno3xx

Website
homepage.mac.com
as I said above, NEVER PULL THE FILTER AWAY FROM THE LCD. You *MUST* separate it from the LCD by using the blade to the adhesive. if you're not confident, try it on a cheap calculator first. I'd hate to see another broken iPod because someone wanted to try what I did. it *IS* a risky procedure.

idaedheloth

Junior Hobbit
Website
www.trevorshp.com
i don't know what I would do with the other 1.9 feet of polarizing film, so: Do all lcd screens have polarizing film? I'm thinking of salvaging some off an old laptop screen.

Last edited:

liquidfury

I am thinking of giving this a go. What does the ipod look like with the back light off?

pics would be great

zapod

Gadgeteer
hmm... I am finding this very interesting... my Gen 1 iPod can do this on it's own without modification... I shall explain...

Firstly, it's an effect that's not reproducable ie. I can't make the iPod do it - it rarely does it... maybe only 3 or 4 times in it's lifetime... but I have switched my iPod on, usually with the backlight set to auto... and had to look twice because the screen was inverted. No question. Where there should have been a black pixel there was white and vice versa. When the backlight went off, the screen went back to normal and I was unable to get the inverted screen again. Like I said, no amount of button combos and backlight combos would make the inverted screen happen, so I forgot about it until I saw the pics at the top of this thread... very interesting...

ryno3xx

Website
homepage.mac.com
1) it is dark with the backlight off, impossible to read in low-light situations but easily readable in daylight.

2) yes, it can be done electronically, as some users have mentioned, but doing so uses more electricity, which in turn greatly reduces battery life.

ryno3xx said:
...On an LCD, each pixel has 2 states: neutral an on. under normal circumstances, about 10% of the screen is in on state. If this were reversed by firmware [electronically], 90% of the screen would be on, resulting in a power consumption increase of 9x. A hardware mod, instead of changing what pixels are on, changes what neutral and on look like.

the_commanche

Windows Reigns Supreme
Awesome mod. Although many of people have done it, its a big plus to have done it yourself and pulled it off so well.