• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Instructions: All music videos, free for your iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

BSI

Any luck on finding out how to do this on a PC, with Explorer?

JMG

asdf
BSI said:
Any luck on finding out how to do this on a PC, with Explorer?
you can't do it on explorer you must use firefox with the user agent. It's free so just go download it.

integlspwr

pd0x said:
if you use windows AOL seems to force the use of a Flash based player not quicktime..i guess for now its a mac thing
im having the same problem it defaults to the flash based player and not quick time. I am using firefox along with live http headers and also user agent switcher.

Anyone know what im doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-integlspwr-

JMG

asdf
integlspwr said:
im having the same problem it defaults to the flash based player and not quick time. I am using firefox along with live http headers and also user agent switcher.

Anyone know what im doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-integlspwr-
Read back on page 2 I posted what settings you use on user agent to get it to give you quicktime movies instead of java.

integlspwr

JMG said:
Read back on page 2 I posted what settings you use on user agent to get it to give you quicktime movies instead of java.
thanks, i'll refer back to page 2 and see how you change from flashbased player to quicktime.

JMG

asdf
integlspwr said:
thanks, i'll refer back to page 2 and see how you change from flashbased player to quicktime.
here it is anyway:

actually all you need is firefox and the user switcher.

Once you have the switcher download the agents here:

http://techpatterns.com/downloads/f...entswitcher.xml

Then use the user agent options to import the xml file.

You might have to ad the user agent button to your toolbar. Just right click th etoolbar and click customize and drag the button over.

On movies.aol.com you should switch your user agent to any safari or netscape agent on Mac.. like Safari 85 (Mac OSX). Then when you go to the aol site you will get the quicktime version of the video. Just right click the screen and view page source. Find the .mov and use a downloading program like NetTransport to download the stream. Just copy the file location and enter it into nettransport. Works perfectly.

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
captainvideo said:
Music videos are free. Not $1.99 a piece. Free. Who says so? AOL, and everyone except Apple.

Here is how to get free music videos for your iPod. On a Mac, follow these steps exactly.

1. Using the Safari web browser, go to Music.aol.com and select the Videos tab.
2. Locate, but do not select, any video from the site's bigger-than-iTunes Music Store collection of videos.
3. From the "Window" menu at the top of your screen, open both Downloads and Activity windows. Make sure Activity is easy to find on your screen at all times.
4. Go to the AOL Music window and click on the video you want to download.
5. A new window will open on your screen with "AOL Video" in the top left corner. 90% of the time a Quicktime movie will appear on the left side of this window.
6. From the "View" menu at the top of your screen, select "View Source."
7. Scroll down to the bottom of the text window that opens up, then search upwards from the bottom until you find a .MOV file. Or you can use the "Find" command (Command-F) to search for .MOV.
8. Select the entire .MOV filename of the music video. It will look like "h tt p://progr essive.stream.aol.com/aol/us/aolmusic/art ists/universal/blackeyedpeas/blackey edpeas_heymama_80048_dl.mov".
9. Open a new Safari window (Command-N) and paste the URL into this window.
10. Look at the Activity window. You will see the same URL appear there, as a http: phrase. Hold down the Option button on your keyboard and click two times quickly on the URL in the Activity window. This will download the music video to your computer. You will notice that many of the videos are the exact same quality as the ones Apple is selling for $1.99.
11. Repeat steps 4-10 for every video you want.
12. Download and install PSPWare for Mac OS X.
13. Open PSPWare's Movies tab.
14. From within that window, choose Options. Make sure Video Resolution is set to 320x240 (4:3) and both video and audio quality are set to high. Close the window.
15. Use the + sign at the bottom of the Movies tab to select each of the videos you have downloaded from AOL. Once selected, PSPWare will automatically convert each of them to iPod format. This will take time, so download a huge bunch of videos and then leave them encoding overnight.
16. Go to the Mac OS X Finder and hit Command-F to Find a file. Search for M4V00001. Inside the folder, you will find all of your music videos in iPod format.
17. Copy the videos to iTunes, then copy them to the iPod.

Enjoy!
well, I already know that. I made movie extractor used by automator on mac os x.
but problem is that you can't put them into ipod video. if you try to convert by quicktime, you will see 'Export' is grey dim. so you can't export that. other Apps like movie to go, ffmpegx is the same result. plus video from AOL is way worse quality than ITMS.

Last edited:

integlspwr

JMG said:
here it is anyway:

actually all you need is firefox and the user switcher.

Once you have the switcher download the agents here:

Then use the user agent options to import the xml file.

You might have to ad the user agent button to your toolbar. Just right click th etoolbar and click customize and drag the button over.

On movies.aol.com you should switch your user agent to any safari or netscape agent on Mac.. like Safari 85 (Mac OSX). Then when you go to the aol site you will get the quicktime version of the video. Just right click the screen and view page source. Find the .mov and use a downloading program like NetTransport to download the stream. Just copy the file location and enter it into nettransport. Works perfectly.
yep i got it working. so now just waiting for a way to convert these downloaded music video files... :(

Last edited:

kamusta1

Is it only possible to do this only under Mac's? or can PC's do this also?

Thanks

JMG

asdf
kamusta1 said:
Is it only possible to do this only under Mac's? or can PC's do this also?

Thanks
yeah thats what I've been posting about. Get firefox and user agent s.itcher and read my posts

filmerp

I've been downloading the AOL videos fine. Converting them has been another story. As archurban observed, the 'export' option is disabled on these files, and both ffmpegx and Compressor refuse to output anything as well. FCP allowed me to export a copy, but the size didn't match up- it ended up a smaller window within a full-size window. Waiting for a solution!

AssassyN

I've gotten the downloads to work via Firefox and the user switching agents (thanks for the tips!), but haven't tried converting yet.

I'll be attempting later today...please post if anyone finds a successful way to get these videos onto the iPod video.

shaktiboy

For the windows folks who have gotten the .mov files to download successfully but cannot convert them for the iPod...

Have you tried using PSPWare per the OP's instructions? Nullriver makes a version for Windows. Go to nullriver.com and try the free trial download for windows and try the OP's instructions when you get to the part about converting the .mov files with PSPWare.

I'll try this myself when I get home tonight, but if you have luck with this approach please post here!

JRoDDz

I have successfully download a couple of these videos, however cannot convert them at all.

What good is downloading them if you can't convert them. I really don't want 50MB videos on my iPod.

pdawg17

The only way I have been able to get it to convert is to convert it first to .avi and then to .mp4