Instruction : How to force restore

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Deus

Ok so after an hour on the phone with Apple and having to retry all the basics like soft reset, hard reset nothing worked. So here is the way to force a hard reset (this will erase all data so hopefully you have backed up!)

I used this when my iPhone 3G was stuck on the Apple logo and would not do anything else. Even after a hard reset (Holding down the home button and power button for 10 seconds). iTunes would also not recognize my iPhone when plugged in.

I am NOT responsible for anyone doing this. I did this myself and it worked fine.

1. Hold down the home button and power button at the same time. This will force the screen to fade and the Apple Logo to reappear. KEEP holding the two buttons down until the iPhone shuts off.

2. Once the iPhone is off plug one end of the usb cable into the PC .

3. Open iTunes

3. While holding down the Home button plug the cable into the iphone.
Contunue holding the home button until the you the itunes logo and the picture of the cable on the iPhone screen. This may take up to 30 seconds.

4. Voila iTunes should now detect the iPhone and you can perform a restore.

Hope this helps someone. Maybe stickie this?

Cheers ;)

jfnc

This works great, truly a lifesaver move when you have no other option. I've had to resort to this about once a week or so since 2.0 came out, and it hasn't failed to work yet.

Deus

Here are some situations where I have seen this happenning. When going into Settings. If nothing actually loads and you are looking at the greay background...well... either wait of hold down the clack button until it closes. Resetting at this time will cause the death apple.

I have noticed the setting freezing like that when trying to access it while an application is downloading. Whenever you have a frozen app, hold down the black button for like 30 seconds and it should close the app. Never reset with a frozen app or you too may get the death apple .

This is just from observations I have made over the last couple of weeks. I have had to force this reset about 5 times so far.

RRaceRB

hard restore.

thanks.
f'n iphone just dies on me and i couldn't figure out why.
rb.

paul100

Thanks for teaching us about force/hard-reset/restore and its pro's and con's. And It helped me a lot of times to make my iTunes recognize my iPhone.

RompaRoom

up_all_night
Not now but previously this saved my life, I was ####ing over my jailbroken iPhone not booting up after running cydia thought what am i going to do. Apple will know im jailbroken lol. This worked wonders!

cougarric

this is the same solution I came up with to solve my ipods problem. definitely worth a sticky

Spewy

Recovery mode?

Ok so after an hour on the phone with Apple and having to retry all the basics like soft reset, hard reset nothing worked. So here is the way to force a hard reset (this will erase all data so hopefully you have backed up!)

I used this when my iPhone 3G was stuck on the Apple logo and would not do anything else. Even after a hard reset (Holding down the home button and power button for 10 seconds). iTunes would also not recognize my iPhone when plugged in.

I am NOT responsible for anyone doing this. I did this myself and it worked fine.

1. Hold down the home button and power button at the same time. This will force the screen to fade and the Apple Logo to reappear. KEEP holding the two buttons down until the iPhone shuts off.

3. Open iTunes

Contunue holding the home button until the you the itunes logo and the picture of the cable on the iPhone screen. This may take up to 30 seconds.

Cheers ;)
Hi all,

The above didn't workl for me. I done a reset last night as i am selling the phone and wanted to clear all content.

The phone never restarted, it keeps coming up with the apple logo and a round timer. I tried the above steps and it doesn't help, Itunes comes up with a message 'iphone in recovery mode, restart.

I can't get it to do anything.

Please help,

andrewison

Thank you so much

3. Open iTunes

Cheers ;)
thanks so so much for this.
Went and did the iphone 4 through that website hack, installed an app, did a reboot and then , wouldnt restart, stuck on the apple logo.

Was thinking for a moment that I would have to get it done privately.

Cheer
AI

neciak

My daughter permently locked me out. This is the same Mac store said to do. The only problem is I can't get my phone to shut down. I have held the power and home button. Nothing works. Any idea's?
Thanks!