Instant Deep Sleep with homebrew files?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
I've been getting a couple of reports from listeners of "homebrew" audiobooks (.m4b files) that after playing such files their iPod goes into Deep Sleep mode after playing such files. Instead of pausing and waking up normally, the iPod resets (and loses the last bookmark).

I haven't been able to reproduce this myself, even testing the exact same files to those people having problems.

Anyone else encountered this? Any ideas why it would happen?

kelzan

This definitely happens. From reading peoples complaints, and from my own experience, it happens when you encode something in mono to a .m4a file, then change the extension to .m4b.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with stereo homebrew .m4b files, or audible files.

It's not that it resets itself after playing such files, the failure mode comes in two flavors:

1) You were listening to a homebrew file of the type described above. You turn off your iPod, and come back to it again after awhile. Your iPod is now completely dead to the world, and won't respond to any button press. You now have to do a cold reset to get back to the apple logo, and make your iPod come back to life.

2) You were listening to a homebrew file of the type described above. You return to the file to listen, everything works great at first, the iPod continues playing where you left off the last time, and BAM! After about 30 seconds of playing, you're booted out to the music menu again. When you go back to the file you're playing, you start at time 0 again, your bookmark information is lost.

I've seen both of these problems, again only with mono homebrew .m4b files which were converted using iTunes.

These problems are really annoying, especially #1. Supposedly they were fixed with 4.8, or some posting say that, but my own experience shows that they were not.

david1951

Website
www.ipodsoft.com
Thanks a lot for this - I hadn't connected it with the known mono-homebrew file problem.

Easy fix, then, is make sure the files are stereo. You don't actually save any disk space by making them mono anyway.

kelzan

Actually you do save space by encoding files in mono. It's a little deceptive, because a 64kbs mono file is the same size as a 64kbs stereo file. The fidelity of a 64kbs mono file is the same, however, as a 128kbs stereo file. The "kbs" measurement is how many bits per second overall. A stereo file has to divide these bits between two channels, so a mono file will give you the same fidelity at half the bitrate.

I see a lot of people encoding books in stereo, which unless there is a lot of backing music or sound effects, is kind of a waste of space.

dordale

kelzan--

A good reason that 4g ipod owners encode their files in stereo, is that "homemade" audio books (m4b files) are known to lock up the 4g players.

dordale :)