In-ear headphone review: interesting read

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Interpol

ExtremeTech reviews the Etymotic ER-6, Shure E3c and E4c, UE Super.fi Pro and EB, and the Koss Plug.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1830689,00.asp

Interesting read, but take the 'review' at face value. Here's a quote:

Shure doesn't make a whole lot of tech specs available on the E-series consumer sound-isolating earphones. We know the E3cs have 1KHz sensitivity of 115dB per mW and an impedance of 26 Ohms, but that's about it. We would like to know the frequency response, but if our ears had to guess, we would say it's roughly 20Hz to 18KHz.
Boy, I wish I had ears that could analyze a headphone's frequency response to the nearest 1 KHz...

Basically, the E4c was their top pick, with the Super.fi Pros and ER-6's next. They didn't like the Super.fi EB and absolutely hated the Koss Plug.

Interpol

The E4c's are a good choice.

After owning mine for about 3 weeks now and giving them some burn-in time, I've noticed that they sound absolutely stupendous with my iPod Photo 60GB, PocketDock line out + firewire, and the Electric Avenues Pocket Amp 2 V2. The sound is extremely well balanced with very punchy bass. The only negative is that with all of these things connected to the iPod it doesn't make for a very portable setup.

Also, stretching an iSkin eVo2 around the PocketDock isn't fun, but I'm getting the hang of it.

warpdrive

Head-fi junkie
Interpol said:
Interesting read, but take the 'review' at face value.

Boy, I wish I had ears that could analyze a headphone's frequency response to the nearest 1 KHz...
Definitely take the ExtremeTech review with a grain of salt.

I can't believe they said the Ety ER-6 was *LACKING* in Treble. Anybody who's heard Etymotics know that Etymotics products have bright, detailed treble, most people would say they have too much treble. They are the brightest sounding canalphones of any brand.

And I also found it amusing when they estimated the frequency response with their ears...

I'd actually be surprised if the Shure was capable of flat 20-18Khz frequency response. In fact, published reputable graphs show anything but.

Last edited:

Echo_

they might as well test cars because they have an mp3 cd player then

never trust computer places to test this stuff