• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

In 4 years

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Enigma

In 2001 apple released the first ipod for $400, now for just $50 more they have one with 55 more gigs, 5 hours more battery, and a colour screen, and for $150 less you can get one that is much smaller, 1 more gig, and 8 hours more battery. Where do you think the ipod will be at in 4 years?

krzymono

Four years, wow that's so far away. That's when we'll (well the US) probably have a new president and everything. I'll be graduating college (I'm graduating high school this year). Wow.

Anyways four years open up so many possibilities. Not only the ipod, but I think technology will be so advanced by then. I think the biggest change would be the size (physically and internally) of the ipod. I think as the capabilities of creating smaller chips improve ipods can become smaller and hold more at the same time.

As far as capabilities, I really wish they don't do too much. I don't want the ipod to end up looking like a miniature computer or something. I hope it stays as a gadget for music.

So yea, basically, it will have bigger storage with smaller physical size. And the design may change a little too. :)

catboy17

Although it probably won't mean the end of the iPod, we're already starting to see iTunes integrated into phones. Honestly though, in 4 years I would hope Apple either improves drastically (much more so than they have over the last 4 years) or I hope to see another product suceed it. In terms of the navigation and everything, I think there should be much smarter software navigating it, that really has an understanding of the music beyond the BPM and the inputted Genre and such. I frankly don't care if by 4 years they make the iPod hold a terabyte, if you don't have savvy enough software to navigate it. The fact that some people who use iPods really don't feel much of a difference between it and the shuffle shows that they really need to make the software smarter, even though it's by far the best around at the moment.

jedk

In 4 years the iPod will most likely be just a continual progression but I can't see any major changes other than capacity, form factor, and operating system improvements... What's really going to blow everything away is Organic Memory, which we'll see much later on: http://www.heise.de/ct/english/98/03/018/ :D

Last edited:

Hellaphunk

I would hope for large amounts of flash memory to be available. Imagine a 40GB iPod the size of the shuffle, would be quite sexy I think.

mlts22

For me, evolution, not revolution is the key here. If the iPod had basically the same form factor and shape 4 years hence, but was improved in processor speed, hard disk capacity, and music features, so much the better -- I would buy one.

JustinHermary

The Cookie Boy
Revolution said:
In 4 years the iPod will most likely be just a continual progression but I can't see any major changes other than capacity, form factor, and operating system improvements... What's really going to blow everything away is Organic Memory, which we'll see much later on: http://www.heise.de/ct/english/98/03/018/ :D
wow thats amazing, that is going to be sweet. that would be like the shuffle with a terebyte!!!!! thats insane!

great link, thanks.

Enigma

A shuffle with a terebyte would be so horrible, 1000gb of music and no screen. Yeah I started this thread but never posted my opinion. If large capacity flash prices start to come down I wouldn't be suprised if it made itself onto the ipods, if not then maybe just the minis, ipods will probably be slimmer by then and will all have higher resolution, brighter, sharper colour screens, the colour screens along with faster processors will allow for a more elaborate, but still simple GUI. By then maybe we will have 24 hour batteries that charge in a matter of minutes. As it stands right now I don't see a video ipod in the near future, but in 4 years it may be a lot simpler to aquire movies/video from dvds and transfer them to the ipod. By then we should have gapless and crossfading. I still can't think up any interface that could replace the clickwheel.

jngrossmann

Who me? Couldn't be!
Enigma said:
A shuffle with a terebyte would be so horrible, 1000gb of music and no screen. Yeah I started this thread but never posted my opinion. If large capacity flash prices start to come down I wouldn't be suprised if it made itself onto the ipods, if not then maybe just the minis, ipods will probably be slimmer by then and will all have higher resolution, brighter, sharper colour screens, the colour screens along with faster processors will allow for a more elaborate, but still simple GUI. By then maybe we will have 24 hour batteries that charge in a matter of minutes. As it stands right now I don't see a video ipod in the near future, but in 4 years it may be a lot simpler to aquire movies/video from dvds and transfer them to the ipod. By then we should have gapless and crossfading. I still can't think up any interface that could replace the clickwheel.
24 hour batteries that charge in a matter of minutes? What are you smoking? The charging hasn't changed for LiON batteries for around 10 years now! I remember playing with toy cars that still had 6 hour charging time when I was a kid.

Mister Laugh

Revolution said:

lol 170 terrabytes you probably couldn't even fill that with a complete collection of music. period.

im going to have to agree with the people that say evolution not revolution. if you want a shuffle get a shuffle im happy with my full size ipod.

Finlay

Wow 4 Years! That is a long time ill be going to uni then! I think it will be realy thin,colour screen,touch screen, there will be no scroll whell just a touch screen a stylus and a gui system which will run mac ox software and can be used as a mobile,internet browser and a gps sistem how kl would that be!:D :D :D

ihaveanipod

what if there is no ipod in four years? what if something else comes along. Think about it...

Cooky

Battery's will have changed a lot in the next four years. Can't find the link sorry but I read somewhere about new battery technology that will last MUCH longer (per charge and lifetime) and take a lot less time to charge. Within four years, this techology should be becoming mainstream.

Imagine an iPod that could last a week without charging.

ipodman715

Website
www.twitmirror.com
Cooky said:
Battery's will have changed a lot in the next four years. Can't find the link sorry but I read somewhere about new battery technology that will last MUCH longer (per charge and lifetime) and take a lot less time to charge. Within four years, this techology should be becoming mainstream.

Imagine an iPod that could last a week without charging.
w00! That would pwn! :) I think a little better than my 3G's battery life! :)

russgiro88

iObsessed
I'm still hoping that they can make all-in-one ipod/phone/camera/pda/gaming device so that I can stop lugging so many gadgets around. But it hasn't happened thus far so I'm left doubting that it's even possible.

Mystifier

a device that could do all that?
i think that would be horrible
if you want that, get a laptop.
thats what laptops are for dude.

as i've said in a different post, would you wanna cut down a forest with a swiss army knife? no. you would get a saw.

similarly, if you wanna listen to music, get a music device, like an ipod. not a swiss army knife like laptop (if your just playing music).

SoundChaser

jngrossmann said:
24 hour batteries that charge in a matter of minutes? What are you smoking?
it's called speculation dude
theres nothing wrong with a little fantasizing about the future of technology