importing playlist from pc to itunes skips some songs and doesn't import them

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

McMark

When I import a playlist from the windows pc to itunes, itunes skips some songs and doesn't import them. Why? How can I fix this?

It's a major pain because there's a couple dozen songs over a few playlists, with several hundred songs in total, and I have to go line by line just to figure out which songs were skipped.

cjmnews

Staff member
iTunes can't handle some tracks, like the Windows Media encrypted songs (iTunes does not have the key to decrypt, if Windows Media Player allows you to burn it to CD, you could rip (read) it back in as MP3 files and that would remove the encryption) or some formats (asf, .wma, .wmv, .wm) are also not supported by iTunes, you could convert into a common format like MP3, and then either player can play the files. Some quality may be lost doing this.

Most people pick a player and stick with it. Going back and forth between two disparate players makes for headaches.

McMark

Thanks, I forgot to mention I convert them to m3u files before importing.

I need to keep my music on the PC for a few reasons. So I import over to tunes only once every six months or so, so I can have the playlists on my iphone.

cjmnews

Staff member
The songs being skipped are due to format of the songs. The m3u files are the playlists, and those should work fine.

McMark

The songs being skipped are due to format of the songs. The m3u files are the playlists, and those should work fine.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what is going on...

1. I make a playlist in Windows MP
  2. I save it as a M3u format.
  3. I import it to itunes.
Yet some songs from the list come over, and some do not.

So... I manually bring the songs to the itunes library one at a time, and then drag them into the playlists, and now they work fine.

Unfortunately, manually dragging songs over isn't a long term solution. Alas, switching solely over to itunes isn't either.

cjmnews

Staff member
Format of the songs is still probably the issue. iTunes can automatically convert .WAV to .m4a (.aac) but it can't play them. Perhaps dragging them as a group doesn't work. I would have to try it to see what happens.

If you have a specific example where you had 4 mp3 files, 2 wav files, etc, I could try to recreate the situation. Maybe give you an answer.

McMark

Format of the songs is still probably the issue. iTunes can automatically convert .WAV to .m4a (.aac) but it can't play them. Perhaps dragging them as a group doesn't work. I would have to try it to see what happens.
These are MP3s, generally burned from CD via WMP. There's no theme I can discern. One track from an album will get skipped during an "import playlist", but the others come over fine. Manually bringing the skipped track over via "copy file to library" fixes it.

I am getting curious about Windows' support of WMP. I am on Windows 7....

cjmnews

Staff member
Windows 7 will stop getting security updates in January 2020, so you may want to migrate. I see Windows 10 has WMP as an application. It looks like the Windows 7 version.

McMark

Windows 7 will stop getting security updates in January 2020, so you may want to migrate. I see Windows 10 has WMP as an application. It looks like the Windows 7 version.
yup. I need to replace the hardware too. I've got six months to figure it out. That'll probably blow up my little playlist world real good... not to mention finally getting off MP3s.

I'm old school in case you didn't figure that out. I have a library of hundreds and hundreds of cds and vinyl. And I want to retain ownership and control, so apple and google are offf the table. And I want the entire thing to reside off the cloud and outside of apple's "walled garden." I know I know streaming is the future already passed.

cjmnews

Staff member
I also want to own my music. Even files ripped with Apple, are my files, there is no DRM, I can edit them with other editors (removing rap from Maroon 5 tracks to improve them) and use anywhere I like.

Using MP3 is probably the best format to use, as it is compatible with any player. You may like a lossless format, but once again you get into the compatibility problems.

I don't stream my music either. I bring it with me. I tend to disable most cloud stuff, refuse to use Apple Music or their iTunes Match services as these limit my ability to download music to my devices.

As for the MP3 files that don't import, do the ones that fail have very long names? Weird characters? Very deep folder paths?

McMark

I also want to own my music. Even files ripped with Apple, are my files, there is no DRM, I can edit them with other editors (removing rap from Maroon 5 tracks to improve them) and use anywhere I like.

As for the MP3 files that don't import, do the ones that fail have very long names? Weird characters? Very deep folder paths?
Ah a kindred spirit!
There's nothing notable about the files that I can detect.

Another forum recommended that I reinstall itunes. Which is of course SOP that i hadn't tried yet.

I think in the long run a 3rd party music player is the answer. I just didnt feel ready for the brain damage of changing.

cjmnews

Staff member
Most 3rd party players will not allow you to sync to your Apple devices. iTunes is mostly required (Media Monkey used to be an alternative). Your iPhone needs to use iTunes to get media to it.

I doubt a reinstall would fix an occasional file import issue.

The odd thing is that a manual add of the track fixes it. I assume that it plays in iTunes and the iPhone as well. So file corruption is not the problem. This is curious.