Imported DVD's won't play in Quicktime

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DigiMedia

Dear All - I have been trying to import by DVD collection to iTunes, so I can sync movies with AppleTV. I am using Cucusoft Ultimate DVD Converter version 8.3 (further system details are below). I am pretty disappinted that the default settings of Cucusoft don't result in a playable movie.

The default output file size for Cucusoft is just over 1GB. To get an entire DVD compressed to 1GB reduces the quality well below what AppleTV can accept. Unfortunately, if I increase the "split file" setting in Cucusoft to 2 or 3GB, the resulting .mp4 file will not play with Quicktime: I am getting Error -2048 (file not a valid Quicktime format).

Reducing the bitrate to create MP4 files that are below 2GB works fine, and they will play in QuickTime, but as I mentioned, the quality is less than desired. Cucusoft support suggests that files need to be below 2GB to play on mobile media devices. This means that a regular movie will need to be split into multiple .mp4 files, each below 2GB in size....OK, but then how do you play your movie from within iTunes? Not exactly ideal....you really want to have only a single file.

Unfortunately, I'm trying to play these files on my PC. Quicktime documentation does not state a 2GB file size limit, and my PC (Windows Vista 32-bit) has no problems with files much larger than 2GB. I have tried opening from both NFTS and FAT32 drives with the same result.

I am assuming therefore that the framerate or bitrate is too high for QuickTime to accept. If anyone out there has something to add that may help, please pipe-in. Thanks

DVD importer: Cucusoft Ultimate DVD Converter, version 8.3
Import Settings A (failed): Apple TV (1280 x 720) H.264 Movie(.mp4)
Video Bitrate:1594Kbps, Frame rate:29.97, Audio bitrate: 128K, Video size: same as original
Import SettingB (failed): Apple TV (640 x 480) MPEG-4 Movie(.mp4)
Video Bitrate:1508Kbps, Frame rate:29.97, Audio bitrate: 128K, Video size: same as original
iTunes version; 9.1.1.11
QuickTime Version: 7.6.6

St.Nick1993

I am having the same problem, did you ever figure out how to get Quicktime player to play larger videos?

cjmnews

Staff member
First off this message was from 9 years ago. They probably figured out a solution by now.

Second, this was on Windows. Quicktime was killed for Windows 3 years ago. There is a major security issue, and Apple killed off Quicktime instead of fixing it. If you still have Quicktime installed on Windows, you should remove it. Replace it with another player like VLC.

Third, if it was on a Mac with Quicktime, it should be able to handle such file sizes without a problem.