• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

If only...digital music sales crossing borders

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bdb

On the B side of life
The EU is probing Apple about the arbitrarily territorial nature of iTMS (though its not really specific to Apple). I've wondered why the record companies pretend that territorial borders actually mean anything in a digital world, when the business world has been opening global business markets.

The article didn't seem completely clear if its government copyright issues or just an arcane way of doing business. Probably both, I imagine.

I doubt this will actually result in much of a change anytime soon, but it will be fantastic if it does happen. Those in the UK & US have it best, as they both host a lot of bands and cross-distribution often occurs quickly (though I've had to wait up to 15 months for some UK releases). I seem to recall the iTMS catalog in Australia was pretty weak because of all these artificial borders.

link

The good thing about having Apple involved is that they've had some success in the past at forcing the record industry (kicking and screaming) into the 21st century. The bad thing about having Apple involved is that we'll likely be kept in the dark throughout the entire process, and we won't know if they're succeeding or actually even doing anything.

bdb

On the B side of life
Good point. I was thinking just selection-wise, but price-wise iTMS really seems to be gouging the UK.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
IIRC current UK prices are 79p (~$1.53). I recall reading that about 12p (~$.23) of that is the VAT. Considering that the downloads are not taxed in the US, that makes a rather large difference. Without the VAT, the price would still be ~$1.20 though. My point here is that not all of the price difference is Apples doing.

Are there other taxes on the iTunes downloads in the UK or just the VAT?

bdb

On the B side of life
I just heard an album I liked, and went to Amazon to see how much it was. $23, twice as much as most CDs. Its an "import", not meaning its any more imported than other CDs from non-US labels, but that there label isn't distributing it in the US yet.

Its not just digital music where this territoriality is costing us.