iDiddy Opticover 5g Facts Inside (Ishield Alternative)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

whereIsMyIpod

I emailed the guy from iDiddy with some questions about this Ishield Alternative which i personally bought today as a result of his explanation of it:

questions 1:
Hi, What is the application process entail with your screen protector for the new ipods? Does it require water, does it have an adhesive, and are you able to use it right after application or do you need to let it sit for 24 hours?

reply 1:

Ours is a dry application. We do not recommend a wet application fearing this could cause unforeseen results with your iPod. It may be used right away. Installation requires carefully following the instructions provided for best results. As with any protective cover applied with an adhesive, it is subject to trapping air bubbles. These can be minimized with the squeegee we provide. The Opticover is a protective cover for the iPod. It is not a replacement for the finish the iPod comes with.

questions 2:
Hi,
I was also wondering if you know how this compares with the invisible shield and how clear video is compared to it. Also, does the adhesive affect the finish of the ipod in any way if you try to remove it at a later time? Do you recommend this over all other shield type products?

reply 2:
We do not directly compare our products to others. We have put this product on the same Nano and 5G several times. The adhesive has always come off with the material. We have not experienced any problems with the iPod finish. Please remember the iPod finish is soft. This product will protect your iPod from scratches over the area it covers.

Hope this helps!

Tatsu

this really sounds promising, I think I might order this as opposed to the invisible shields, how about finger prints does it reduce the appearance of them?

whereIsMyIpod

Tatsu said:
this really sounds promising, I think I might order this as opposed to the invisible shields, how about finger prints does it reduce the appearance of them?
i sent another email out to him with that question, will post when i get a response.

mpb2000

whereIsMyiPod said:
We have put this product on the same Nano and 5G several times. The adhesive has always come off with the material. We have not experienced any problems with the iPod finish.
Hmm...don't know if I like the sound of that. They don't provide you with much assurance. Also, from their website:

"This product was originally designed for use on helicopter blades to prevent sand and debris from ruining the finish. Of course the product used on helicopters is 4 times thicker. Don't be fooled by other products on the market that claim the same. Similar products are used in the automotive industry and have an "orange peel" look that distorts the look of your Nano and screen."

Sounds like the same material as the invisible shield because of the helicopter blade comment, but they say a similar product has an “orange peel” look, which the invisible shield does have. Not sure what to make of this.

If the adhesive is not an issue upon removal, if the opticover really is clear, unlike the invisible shield, and if it protects as well as the invisible shield is known to, then it would definitely be something I would buy. However, iDiddy doesn't seem as sure of their product as the people at invisible shield; iDiddy has no warranty, while invisible shield offers a lifetime warranty.

cfarm

Just like the automotive field, there is 3M and a small group of competing companies all selling the same concept. The material itself is slightly different from various vendors. IME, the 3M product is more pliable than the others. I've installed more than one kit on my personal autos.

If you think installing on an iPod is difficult, tackle a bumper on a new vehicle with one big single piece of film while keeping all the bubbles and creases out. A small flat surface like the iPod is cake:)

Tatsu

well, I really like what the invisibleshield has to offer however I'm just not liking that weird bumpy finish that I've seen in pictures posted I really like the flatness and gloss of the ipod, I think the invisble shield kinda destros that for me.

cfarm

Tatsu said:
well, I really like what the invisibleshield has to offer however I'm just not liking that weird bumpy finish that I've seen in pictures posted I really like the flatness and gloss of the ipod, I think the invisble shield kinda destros that for me.
Did it say "3M" on the backing material of the product you got from Invisibleshield?

Tatsu

err lol well I didn't order an invisible shield, those were my reasons for not wanting to, sorry if it wasn't written well I was ina hurry lol. I did however order a shield from martin fields, but this one is starting to sound more promising.

Last edited:

whereIsMyIpod

My diddy protector will arive tommorow, ill post pics later that night of what it looks like with the diddy opticover on a black 30gb, cause i know all you are dying to find the perfect cover.

segura

from what i understand the ditty does not cover the front of the ipod. there are three pieces. 1 for the back, 1 for the screen, and 1 for the wheel (not center button).
i went with invisibleshield for more protection.

cfarm

segura said:
from what i understand the ditty does not cover the front of the ipod. there are three pieces. 1 for the back, 1 for the screen, and 1 for the wheel (not center button).
The pics on the ididdy site suggest it covers the entire front except for the wheel.

whereIsMyIpod

segura said:

From the website:

"iDiddy Opticover covers the front and backof your 5-G in our scratch resistant material."

qzxk0c

The one for the G5 iPod covers the entire front of the iPod except for the clickwheel.

whereIsMyIpod

Got mine last night, tried to install it, fingerprints got everywhere on the sticky side, totally jacked it up, tried to install it anyways, thing got stuck to itself, tried to untangle it, TORE the mother f'er and after that i just went bezerk and threw the s*** in the garbage. DONT BUY THIS WORTHLESS CRAP. Its not , i repeat, not easy to install at all and its a bubble/fingerprint magnet. Truly dissapointing.

Tatsu

gahh thats too bad it sounded really good too, ohwell my martin fields protector came today I think I'll stick with that.

joits

whereIsMyiPod said:
Got mine last night, tried to install it, fingerprints got everywhere on the sticky side, totally jacked it up, tried to install it anyways, thing got stuck to itself, tried to untangle it, TORE the mother f'er and after that i just went bezerk and threw the s*** in the garbage. DONT BUY THIS WORTHLESS CRAP. Its not , i repeat, not easy to install at all and its a bubble/fingerprint magnet. Truly dissapointing.
being the klutz that i am, i already know that this would happen to me if i were to buy it. i'll stick to cases instead.

Tatsu

hmm yeah it is slightly smaller than the ipod but from that previous post with pictures you can actually see that his was too. I'm currently trying to put it on now, but first let me try this to see if brasso really does get rid of the scratches.