ID3 tag for "remember playback position"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Wallace

Is there a way, in an ID3 tag editor that's not itunes to specify that you want to "remember playback position" of a file? Here's why I ask: I move audiobook mp3 files on and off my computer all the time. Each time I reload them into iTunes, I have to go through the step of making sure they "remember playback position" by checking that little box. If, on the other hand, I could specify that as a permanent part of a file's ID3 tag, I could be saved that step.

Is this possible? FYI, I use an mp3 tag editor called MP3tag.

Thanks for any ideas.

Wallace

cjmnews

Staff member
This is an Apple specific item. So there is no specific item that can be "added" to the file to enable this.

You could try removing the files with Windows Explorer and not in iTunes, as long as you put them back in the same place, and iTunes will remember the setting because you didn't remove it from iTunes.

Why remove the books from iTunes? Why not use smart playlists to manage the Audiobook syncing instead of the Sync Audiobooks checkbox. Sure the playlists will appear under the Music section, they are still audiobooks, and with sync specific playlists it is easier to manage.

Heck on my 4GB Nano, I have a smart playlist called Active Audiobook, where I manage the book I want with checkmarks, so that only a checked book gets synced, and it still uses the playcount = 0 stuff to keep my place. That way I only get 1 book at a time.

Wallace

Thanks for the note. I feared as much. I like your idea of removing from Explorer but not from iTunes. That will probably solve it.

I do use smart playlists to manage my books; the reason I shuffle them back and forth is because I have a ton of them, and I'm juggling a hard-drive space issue. I, too, use the 4GB Nano, and it's loaded with primarily books, lectures, and podcasts. Smartlists are a godsend, all right.

Thanks for your answer.

Wallace.

Website
www.ilounge.com
The other solution is to convert them to AAC format and give them an "M4B" extension before importing them into iTunes. This will cause iTunes to recognize them as "Audiobooks" automatically, and actually put them in the Audiobooks section as well. In this mode, the "Remember Playback Position" setting is actually forced on (ie, not only is it on by default, but you can't turn it off).

Prior to iTunes 6 (when Apple added the "Remember Playback Position" setting), this was the only way to get audiobooks you imported yourself to remember their playback position. As an added bonus, you can add chapter markers to M4B files with third-party software, so not only can you make them remember their playback position, but you can set them up so that the prev/next buttons skip to specific chapters.

The sticky posts at the top of this forum provide more information on how to do this and some of the software tools available. Note that if you're not concerned about adding chapter markets, you don't need third-party software: Simply convert them to AAC (you can use iTunes itself to do this), and then rename the files to have an M4B extension instead of M4A and re-import them into iTunes.

Wallace

Thanks. I'll play around with this a bit as well. I appreciate the ideas.

Wallace