• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

I need some iPod advice from people currently in High School

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

SergeArsenie

Spirit of the Squirrel
Well i'm deciding on whether to take my iPod with me to school tomorrow. It may seem like no big deal, but i'm a bit concerned, seeing as its my first time. Anyways, what should I do when people want to see it, or listen to it a bit, or hold it? Frankly, I don't trust them and I don't want to let them. What can I say that won't come off too mean, since I can't just say "No" because who knows what they'll try.

Any advice would be extremlely helpful. I think i'll just keep it in my pockets and it'll be fine, but my dad said, "Why bring something so expensive to school?" And he's right, but I want to listen to music, but i'm afraid it'll get stolen (which I think I can avoid with keeping it in pockets) or damaged (maybe bumping into people in hallways?). Whats your opinion? I hope I can just make it through the day trouble-free.

Thanks guys for the help.
~Serge

VousDew

Not Amused
Website
www.naturalborncynic.com
You're thinking about it too hard. Don't wave it around and shout, "Look! An iPod!", but you don't have to be paranoid about it, either. Just keep it on you at all times. And there's nothing wrong with letting people see it, or touch it. Just tell them to keep their fingers away from the screen. :)

Zeniq

Website
spaces.msn.com
I think that if you want to take your iPod to school, you should take it. You should definately be careful with who you let handle it, and if you make the choice not to let anyone touch it, that's fine. If people ask if they can see it, say "no, I don't think so." and if they pry, don't give in. People should respect your choice to protect your property from others.

Twista89

Ipod addict
Well my advice to you is if your planning on listening to it at school and outside of school...get rid of the white ear-buds people will know if you have a ipod and will try to rob you.
I took my ipod to school once and only let people that I really know and trust touch it and only one person listened to it. So if you want to let people see it let only the people you really know see it. Also I keep my ipod in my locker during some classes like Gym where it might get stolen. If you let someone listen to it and you dont feel 100% with letting them see it stand by them all the time and make sure they dont try to walk off. If you feel scared to bring it to school dont bother with the pressure and just leave it at home that way you will know for sure no one from school will try and steal it.
I kinda feel safe bringing mine to school sometimes because like 20% of the people in my school have some sort of ipod so I feel not alone with the ipod lol.

Last edited:

mcbain

yeah i suggest not flashing it, they will get jealous if they want to see let them if they are nice.

SergeArsenie

Spirit of the Squirrel
Twista, since you're in Chicago too, what school do you go to? Maybe we go to the same school?

Also, 3 replies in a 2 minute timespan, awesome. Thanks guys.

Yep, I understand. I'm just a bit skeptical about having it stolen or damaged, but i'm a realistic person and I know that if I keep it with me at all times, it won't get stolen. Its just that my dad manages to make some good points.

The part I am concerned about is letting people touch it or listen to it, or hold it. If I would say no, they would mutter something under their breath or try to convince you, and i'm pretty sure that kids of today don't just accept saying NO. I know I do because i'm smarter than everyone at my school (rank 1), but I see many idiots at my school who are totally opposite.

That's it, just don't want it touched or people asking to "see" it.

Madkins007

My 2 cents as a parent and ex-techie high-schooler:

1.) Ditch the white cords. They are a signal to everyone that you are carrying an iPod. Nothing ot be embarrassed about, but it just adds to the 'look at me' factor.

2.) Play the 'what if' game. How will you feel if it IS lost, damaged, etc.? Murphy's Law will catch up with you sooner or later! I had an expensive tape player stolen when I was getting my senior pic taken and I asked a teacher to watch my stuff- which she did until she left.

Bottom line:
3.) Do what you really want. Small electronics like this are worthless if they are just sitting around.

afalconsvick

Atlanta Falcons!
Website
tonyjalbanese.com
Wow that's awesome I'm from Chicago also. Anyway I use mine in school and don't have a problem. I don't have the white earphones anyway. If someone asks to let them see it, then stand right next to them and don't let them pass to anyone else because that is how it gets lost or stolen.

Buffoonist

I think the common mistake is letting the whole world know you own an ipod. At my school everyone holds their ipod's in their hand. hmm i wonder why they get stolen and dropped frequently.

I keep my ipod on with my belt clip, wear ex51's, and don't let anyone hold it.

mcbain

it also depends on your school.
Are there a lot of thefts and bad kids?
or very few?

SergeArsenie

Spirit of the Squirrel
Well when you have to turn it off, you have to take it out of the pockets. I hope it'll be fine in my pockets.

At my school, not really anything bad happens, but I am kinda of skeptical of people that look ghetto.

SoundChaser

just take it, man
don't worry about it too much
i mean, i don't know about your school or anything, but at my school it's no problem, and ill pull it out in the hall once in a while to turn up the volume or something if i need to, and ive never been threatened or anything
i bought an ipod FOR school, because without music during the day, i can go nuts sometimes, feening for the music that I love so much
anyways, tons of people have ipods at my school now anyways, so nobody even cares any more
as for the people who look ghetto, lol just dont look them in the eye.. haha that's what i do

Twista89

Ipod addict
lol your school lets u listen to music. My school dosent let me listen to my ipod, only some classes do like Art and American Lit. Just because people look as you say "ghetto" dosent mean they like to rob people. Im around people like that everyday and I know I can trust alot of them because they have had my back since 6th grade. Cant always judge a book by its cover.

Last edited:

martini1020

Like all these other people stated, don't worry about it too much. I am a highschooler and take my iPod everywhere I go...and I mean everywhere.

I've had experiences where people would go, "Ooh look, an iPOD! Can I look at it? Come on, I'm not gonna break it. I just wanna hold it!"

*you may notice a slightly glazed-over look in their eyes*

I merely reply with, "You know what, i'd love to stay here and chat, but I have to get going. I'll take to you later, alright?"

*talk fast, keep walking, don't look back, and act like you really have to go somewhere* {it works 75% of the time for me}

But seriously, the iPod is a delicate and somewhat fragile item...not to mention pricey. So I understand your concern. My recommendation is: Bring the iPod to school. Like someone mentioned before, don't wave it around in the air. Test the waters a bit. Then decide whether or not you're going to draw unwanted attention to yourself.

The best way to have it {the iPod} with you and not draw unnecessary attention to yourself is to keep in a pocket or jacket. But make sure you don't do something stupid like play basketball while it's stuck in your pocket or jacket. :D

SergeArsenie

Spirit of the Squirrel
Good advice martin, but what if its during a 45 minute lunch period and theres people next to me?