• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

I need some iPod advice from people currently in High School

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robertll24

I go to a private school and just about everyone have an ipod, so it's fine for people to walk around with them. Don't worry about it, it's only an iPod...

SergeArsenie

Spirit of the Squirrel
Its not "only" an iPod. Someone richer than average like you can afford to say that. To me, 300 dollars is a LOAD of money, seeing as how I earn only 40 a month from allowance. An iPod is a valued item for me.

martini1020

serge, I am homeschooled so I don't know what it is like to be in the middle of a 45 minute lunch period. {Just cause I'm home-schooled doesn't mean I don't experience what you are talking about}.

Getting back on track, in my experience when there are a bunch of people around me, I leave the iPod in my pocket. Try to sit in secluded areas. Trust me, the last thing you want is some dumb F--- to spill his Coke all over your pants...thus wetting and harming your precious iPod. That's totally inexcusable {you ought to make the a--hole pay for a brand new one}.

Most of the time I just sit and pray to God that nothing like that happens. You could tie your jacket around your waist. When you go for lunch, remove the jacket and rest it on your lap. That way, you'll be able to shield the iPod from spilled food and beverages. Not only do you look fashionable, but you also have a celver means of protecting your iPod.

*yes I am rather paranoid about things like that...who isn't?*

As you mentioned before, some of us can't afford a brand new iPod should something happen to it. If I were you, i'd bring a CD player with a mix of your favorite songs. I do that quite often. iPods attract a lot of attention no matter where you go {I've experienced, "oooooo ipooooddddd ahhhhh!"}. People are going to want to see it, touch it, and use it. CD players are cheap and a lot more durable than an iPod. Granted I can't say for sure, but I'm not going to fling my iPod and CD player out the window to find out which is tougher.

Also, I doubt you'd want to put your iPod in your locker as it seems that they get broken into quite often. School, especially highschool, can be a treacherous place. Keep the iPod with you at all times. Don't 'leave' it with someone. Trust me, they might really leave with it.

Either way, I doubt you will let anything happen to your iPod. Just play it safe and play it smart.

martini1020

One more thing, make sure you have a carry case for your valued iPod. Trust me, you will want to have one. Without one, it's like walking around naked...which is frowned upon by society.

heroshima

Dude you're being way to paranoid. If you want to listen to music bring your ipod to school and don't let anyone touch it, keep it on your person at all times. Common sense, don't flash it around. If you're afraid "ghetto" looking people are going take it from you then only listen to your ipod at home with the doors locked. Seriously though "ghetto" looking people what the hell? Any kind of person is capable of stealing, you sound like a 80 year old man. Crazy youngsters.

jlmodell

the topic has been exhausted i think, but i am bored so i will throw my $.02 in..

It sounds like you scrimped and saved for months to get that iPod, but what, if not to listen to music on the go, did you save so much for? If as a status symbol, i would assume your school is kind of affluent to be of any use like that (and thus flooded with ipods).

I went to school in manhattan, so i had to trudge through the nyc transit system with the thousands of hooligans (who have ipods of their own, ironically) so i was kind of de-sensitized to the idea of having my stolen.

All in all, i would say, take the ipod to school, listen to music, start up many a conversation, and if you must listen to it in class, make sure your teacher won't bi_ch too much lol. (If i could find my yearbook, i have my iPod earbuds on during a calc 3 lecture senior year.. front row of the class.. rofl)

atomx

I'm a teacher, so I'll comment from a different perspective. Be careful with your teachers/iPod use. You might get one of those instructors--I know a few of them--who refuse to give a student a higher grade (in a borderline case) after catching the student listening to music in class. Other teachers are likely to melt down--they feel that one who plays music in class is "disrespecting" them--and will immediately send the kid to the dean's office, where said device will probably be confiscated. In my class, I don't allow kids to listen to music, especially during lectures or group activities. There is just no way to learn and stay focused if your mind and ears are occupied with the contents of your iPod. Only in rare instances, when kids are quietly working on individual projects, will I allow the use of iPods. Sometimes playing your iPod is more trouble than its worth--ultimately, there is a time and a place for everything.

We have also had a couple of incidents in which iPods were stolen. In each case, the kid advertised his iPod (bragging, showing off playlists, etc.). The white earbuds are also a dead giveaway--it seems prudent, therefore, to keep your mouths shut, your iPods off (and hidden) during class, and to go out and purchase some earphones that are not white (I like the Sony EX-51's: cheap--$25.00 through Amazon--decent sound, and black). That way you can ride the bus without worrying that someone will come up and aggressively ask, "So, what did you buy for me today?"

It seems to me that one should at least consider worst-case scenarios whether in the classroom or on the street.

jlmodell

I, of course do not condone dis-respecting your professors by listening to some [insert what you ppl listen to these days], while they are lecturing-- i only did so when solving problems, and only with teachers i knew would not take things so seriously.

I sort of don't agree with getting rid of the white buds, because, atleast in nyc, it is kind of fun finding other ipod owners and sharing music and such, but of course if you do not feel safe, switch them

Madkins007

White earbuds...

This reminds me of an interesting story in my fave design book "How Things Don't Work" in which they design a travel bag for expensive camera gear that protects from both mechanical abuse and theft.

The bottom line was to use an expensive protective case, then hide it inside a cheapo case with a sleeve hanging out of it, tied with rope, obviously battered, etc.

What self-respecing shutterbug would ever consider doing this to his/her expensive gear?

Users fall into one of two basic camps- those who WANT to advertise, and those who don't. Pros and cons both ways, but non-advertisers usually keep their stuff longer.

As for your situation- use black earbuds in school and a pair of whites for finding other iPoders if you want. Anyway- you can't really 'share music' on an iPod unless you use a headphone splitter.

dgsmith15

SergeArsenie said:
Well i'm deciding on whether to take my iPod with me to school tomorrow. It may seem like no big deal, but i'm a bit concerned, seeing as its my first time. Anyways, what should I do when people want to see it, or listen to it a bit, or hold it? Frankly, I don't trust them and I don't want to let them. What can I say that won't come off too mean, since I can't just say "No" because who knows what they'll try.

Any advice would be extremlely helpful.
If you're the least bit paranoid about taking it to school then my suggestion would be to not take it all. Trust me, you'll be able to make through the day without it.

ruach10

my 2 cents, ditch the white earbuds, get a good cayse and a remote then u dont have 2 take it out all the time.

on the subject as a whole
: for some reason i got plunked in the most ghetto school in my area, its f'ed up i mean they still bus people in from the city(tampa florida) into my suberb (bradon florida) and for any one who cares its mann, and i noticed that loads of people have mp3 players and there r 2 people who bring there ipods 2 school and play it in class but that particluar teacher does not give a f*** i mean she was listings 2 her daughters ipod the other day in class.

jaroque

dude, seriously, how much time during your day DO you have to listen to music while at school? i can't remember a block of time in high school when i was thinking, man, i wish i had some music to listen to.

ClearlyCanadian

Well i have had an ipod for about 1 year now. I was the first or second in my skool to have 1. I brought it to skool. No one ever stole it. Now im at my new skool and well lets just say 1/4 have an ipod

ashufflerisme!

Madkins007 said:
My 2 cents as a parent and ex-techie high-schooler:

1.) Ditch the white cords. They are a signal to everyone that you are carrying an iPod. Nothing ot be embarrassed about, but it just adds to the 'look at me' factor.
Not to be overtly stupid about this, but is this really a huge problem in the states. I live in Canada, and though there are some pretty bad neighborhoods here, when you get on the bus to our school, every 2nd or 3rd person has an MP3 player, and 95% of those are iPods...

I just don't see it happening. But then, I'll probably ditch them when I have to go somewhere outside of school. There is no look-at-me factor at my school. An iPod. Big Deal. Everyone had one three years ago.

Just my 2 cents.

BiReL41r

iPod Video Owner
I brought an RCA Lyra to HS once. Im talking about an RCA LYRA GUYS!!!! IT GOT STOLEN! This peice of junk was like 64mb at the time and could only fit 30 songs or so compared to 7,500 songs +. Some guy just put his hand in my pocket and ran away, before I could run through our clustered halls he was gone. I wasnt that disapointed because it was only $100 but still everyones mad when something gets misplaced/lost. So I would end up saying no to it, at least I dont...

shamigo

jaroque said:
dude, seriously, how much time during your day DO you have to listen to music while at school? i can't remember a block of time in high school when i was thinking, man, i wish i had some music to listen to.
seeing as to how i'm a senior in high school, i'm in college, and basically school is over for me...

1) a lot of our substitutes will let us listen to music in class...45 minutes
2) in gym, we're doing archery...i listen to music then

yea...i get time in school to listen to music.

on the taking it to school subject...just be careful man...if ur friends are gonna ask to see it, most likely u can trust em...unless u have some messed up friends lol...and like someone sed above, if ur too scared of it getting lost or stolen or damaged, don't take it...