I KILLED MY REMOTE! Then, I made it awesome...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MartyMcPod

Okay, I finally did what I wanted to do forever. I took my stupid remote, and cut the wire right in half. Boy, did that feel good.

Then, I cut off the ends, and left about 2 inches on each side, and wired them back together, and shrinkwrapped it and everything.

Now I actually have a useful remote, that doesn't add a thousand feet to my headphone cord.

I'm stoked.

Unfortunately, my gf's computer is the biggest piece of crap in the world, and for some reason it won't let me put a picture on it from my digital camera.

So, this thread will be pictureless until my awesome ThinkPad comes in.

Then, I will post a pic, and all will be envious.

Well, not really. It looks okay, but I could have done a better job if I didn't get impatient. It works great though. Seems to be holding together just fine, and I hope it keeps working.

Later!:D

EDIT: I thought maybe I should explain. I skate around my university campus, and I have my iPod on my belt in a Timbuk2 case. The thing is, you can't get to the controls on the iPod, cause it's in the case. What makes it more annoying, is that the headphones plug into a hole in the top of the case, so every time I want to change something, I have to unplug the headphones, then take the iPod out of the case. It's kind of a pain.

So now, I can do everything by just reaching down and using the remote. Awesome.

Last edited:

MartyMcPod

Picture

Here's a picture. The end of it, the white stuff, is white shrink wrap. I could have made it all straight, but it would have taken A LOT longer, and would have been a lot more hassle. It's still holding up, and I use it every day. It's exactly what I needed.

Last edited:

XavierL

Great job... Always try to get things as you would like them!

By the way, I'm also very interrested in Timbuk2 ipod case for my 4G 20Gb iPod. Could you be so kind to post pictures so I really can imagine how it fits in it and how the case look like (and belt attachment)?

(I'm also would like to buy it cheaper than have it sent to Europe direct from www.timbuk2.com)

MartyMcPod

I'll definitely take some pics when I get home. It's a great case overall, and yours will fit great, being a 40 gig. I use a 20 gig in mine.

There are 2 belt loops, I'll elaborate when I post the pics. There is one thin belt loop, made to be a standard belt loop, and you have to take your belt off and on to put it on or take it off.

The other belt loop is actually made to velcro onto a backpack strap, or messenger bag strap, like it shows on Timbuk2's website. It's very thick, and EXTREMELY sturdy. The cool part about this strap, is that when you put your belt through it, it is horizontal, and doesn't jiggle at all. It's hard to put on a take off without taking your belt off, but definitely possible if you need to.

It's very comfortable to have on all day. I'm actually sitting in the library at my school right now (gotta love wireless notebooks :D ), and it's on my belt. It's easy to sit down because of it's horizontalness... (Is that a word?)

The inside is completely soft, and there is nothing to scratch. The velcro is really strong, and shoudn't have any problems.

There is a little slot in the top, as I said before, for the cable.

The one previously annoying thing, that I touch on before, is that to do anything, you have to disconnect the headphones, and take the iPod out, change what you want, put it back in, then reattach the headphones.

this was becoming too much of a drag, and since the remote was way to long, I cut it.

I'll post pics tonite.

XavierL

Thank you MartyMcPod for replying with a very usefull comments!
I'm really interrested in this case, and I think I will have to pay the price (ordering in US!).

Thanks,
Xavier

MartyMcPod

I really like it overall. It looks nice too. Great quality.

How much will it cost for you to go through all that shipping stuff?

XavierL

For a 20$ product, Timbuk2 ask 18.40$ for shipping to EU. And might have to pay custom taxes!

More than twice the price overall!

XavierL

For a 20$ product, Timbuk2 ask 18.40$ for shipping to EU. And might have to pay custom taxes!

More than twice the price overall!

altcountryman

no depression
Wow, I've never shipped anything overseas, but that seems pricey. Maybe you could contact a bike shop here in the States and have them mail you one. If you can find someone to do it, they probably wouldn't mark up the shipping.

XavierL

Very nice pictures, very good showing how it's made! Thank you very much MartyMcPod!!!

MartyMcPod

Not quite sure what you're talking about Capello. They seem to have been working fine the entire time.

This post is pretty much on par with your others though, so I guess I shouldn't expect any more from you... :rolleyes:

MartyMcPod

Thanks. I love this notebook. It's awesome. Nice to have a good computer finally.

HEWSINATOR

The remote length is the sole reason I do not use it. With the 71's it works out ok? How long is it all together? I just bought apple in ears, but maybe will exchange if I can use my remote.