• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

I just want to rub it in to all the naysayers about cameras.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

AmazingDM

A while back I suggested two things, that Apple would add cameras to Nanos and that Apple would make their own iCamera. I don't know about the second one but in both cases people were so damn stubborn, resistant, pigheaded and against (or at least in the way of "it will NEVER EVER EVER happen") there being a camera in iPods like the Nano.

Just because a lot of you were so damn pigheaded and stubborn I want to rub it in that hah hah hah, I WAS RIGHT.

Immature yes, but definitely called for.

It's not always wise to be so sure about something you can't be sure of. (better? hah)

Last edited:

mr_infamy

Married Man of Mystery
Fair call :p It's always worth keeping an open mind in technology circles, especially when Apple themselves say they will never do somehting (...like a tablet)

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
Good on you, AmazingDM. I never put anything past Apple, but I didn't think it was likely they'd make this move. You called it.

BUT...

Everything in your post was fine until you said this:

"I hope you learn to stop being so sure about something."

That lacks class, dude. Big time.

AmazingDM

Good on you, AmazingDM. I never put anything past Apple, but I didn't think it was likely they'd make this move. You called it.

BUT...

Everything in your post was fine until you said this:

"I hope you learn to stop being so sure about something."

That lacks class, dude. Big time.
I didn't really put that much thought into it.. so, why exactly?

I think it's true.. People shouldn't be so sure about something as if they ran the business themselves

Astro_Digital

I didn't really put that much thought into it.. so, why exactly?

I think it's true.. People shouldn't be so sure about something as if they ran the business themselves
???????

People shouldn't be so sure about something as if they ran the business themselves.

You are so sure of yourself high and mighty like you think you are Steve Jobs; What a hypocrite. Come in here saying see I was right, pat me on the back.

I thought the rumor also said the Touch was going to get a camera but that did not happen. People have their own theories and biases and I think if you read carefully nobody claimed they are working for Apple and know for sure about anything.

You know what I think is funny all gyms I visit cameras are not allowed. It would be fun if the gyms held up to that policy and banned the brand new Nano from the gym; the device made for gyms because it has a camera.

Now you are going to say I do not know what I am talking about, All gyms like cameras...... WHAT YOU THINK YOU WORK FOR .... "insert gym name here".

I listen to everybod, they have a right to be wrong or right. Some times I learn something, sometimes I do not but I will never call somebody out for guessing wrong.

This is the all time worst thread I seen in ages. :(

Code Monkey

I confess that you could have bet me a fair amount of money about whether the touch or the nano would be getting a camera first (obviously before the leaks "confirmed" the camera on the nano a few months back, although even then, based on similar leaks for the 3G touch, I just would have said they were coming at the same time), and I would have lost. Frankly, although I was pleasantly surprised at just how solid the new nano is feature wise (there's not really anywhere else to go at this point), the camera/video thing still seems out of place.

In this case, just because people turned out to be wrong about the facts doesn't mean they were flawed in their reasoning to begin with - it's still nothing that's ever been core to the iPod platform and bringing it to the nano before the touch seems completely whacked. I suspect the rumored production problems were real and the intended 3G touch got scrapped (I wonder if the tear downs will give us any hints?), because while I would have believed Apple might have brought a camera to the nano just because once they went and brought it to the touch, premiering it on the nano seems completely out of place.

In fact, my gut tells me the reason why yesterday's product unveil seemed so underwhelming is that two of the four products were rush jobs. The 3G touch got radically scaled back by production problems, and the classic was probably just a last minute phone in, with the only apparent change being the hard drive, in response to MS canceling the Zune 120. Teardowns will confirm or disprove this assumption about the classic, but that the new firmware doesn't even come with support for the purely software based Genius Mixes hints strongly at a last minute development. Even last year they managed to add Genius playlist support at launch with little else changed compared to the previous year (not counting discontinuing the double platter model mind you).

There is always strategy behind Apple's moves aimed at achieving phase three of the underpants gnomes' prime directive; speculating and trying to understand that strategy is what drives most discussion on these boards. In other words, fine, you were right, but I liken it more to the blind squirrel analogy than any better insight into things compared to those of us who were wrong ;)

kornchild2002

Maybe you should follow your own advice. You were so sure that a camera would be installed on the 5G iPod nano that you shut out everyone else. Sure, you were right in the end but you sound like you were just as bad as the naysayers. The level of your post isn't going to help you for future cases either. Saying something like "nah, nah, nah, duh. I r teh write, u r teh sucksorz!" really isn't professional. It also isn't called for. It would be like me saying "I have more posts than you and have been using iPods for over 6 years. Whatever I say is right and whatever you say is wrong!!!!!!11!!!!!1one!!!!eleven1!!"

Smrt

I think the cameras kinda surprised us all. But in Apples point of view, they are entering a new money making market, the cheap, crappy camcorder market and I can see it doing well. I know if I wanted one of those camcorders, I would buy the Nano mainly because it is more of an all-in-one player.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
I think the cameras kinda surprised us all. But in Apples point of view, they are entering a new money making market, the cheap, crappy camcorder market and I can see it doing well. I know if I wanted one of those camcorders, I would buy the Nano mainly because it is more of an all-in-one player.
I can see why some people would want to do that. I even have a friend who's psyched to get one for the very reason you outlined.

Personally, I think buying it to use as a camcorder would be a waste of time. The issue is the same as before: lens the size of the head of a pin. There's no way it makes decent video. Passible for lots of people, no doubt, but more toy than tool IMO.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Remember whenever you point a finger at someone, many times four are pointing back at you.

It will be interesting to see some comparisons of say a Flip mino, etc to the Nano. If the quality is comparable anyone who is in the market for a music player and a cheap camcorder, the new nano is the winner for streamlining ones technical arsenal.

AmazingDM

???????

People shouldn't be so sure about something as if they ran the business themselves.

You are so sure of yourself high and mighty like you think you are Steve Jobs; What a hypocrite. Come in here saying see I was right, pat me on the back.

I thought the rumor also said the Touch was going to get a camera but that did not happen. People have their own theories and biases and I think if you read carefully nobody claimed they are working for Apple and know for sure about anything.

You know what I think is funny all gyms I visit cameras are not allowed. It would be fun if the gyms held up to that policy and banned the brand new Nano from the gym; the device made for gyms because it has a camera.

Now you are going to say I do not know what I am talking about, All gyms like cameras...... WHAT YOU THINK YOU WORK FOR .... "insert gym name here".

I listen to everybod, they have a right to be wrong or right. Some times I learn something, sometimes I do not but I will never call somebody out for guessing wrong.

This is the all time worst thread I seen in ages. :(

And what exactly was I so sure of, like I was Steve Jobs? I never said anything remotely like "Oh they'll NEVER EVER put a camera on it" like some people here did. Either for or against.

AmazingDM

Maybe you should follow your own advice. You were so sure that a camera would be installed on the 5G iPod nano that you shut out everyone else. Sure, you were right in the end but you sound like you were just as bad as the naysayers. The level of your post isn't going to help you for future cases either. Saying something like "nah, nah, nah, duh. I r teh write, u r teh sucksorz!" really isn't professional. It also isn't called for. It would be like me saying "I have more posts than you and have been using iPods for over 6 years. Whatever I say is right and whatever you say is wrong!!!!!!11!!!!!1one!!!!eleven1!!"
I wasn't THAT sure. But hey I was right haha..
People do take this kinda forum stuff seriously though don't they? They get very defensive about opinions and whatnot.

I'm not trying to be professional. I really am just trying to be an immature 4 year old saying haha I was right. Sorry, I seldom get to do that. Last time was many years ago when a guy was absolutely sure that Family Guy, when it came back, would only be aired on cartoon network and not fox first. I had to wait 3 years for that one!

I'd never use post count. Post count is silly. We're all people regardless of what we posted before.

Germansuplex

I still think it's kind of a head-scratching move, regardless of who is right or wrong. Maybe next year they'll remove Safari from the Touch and put wi-fi and safari in the Nano because, afterall, the Touch is a game machine.

I don't really think that, but I do think they've blurred the lines a bit on what each device is for, save for the Classic.

Surf Monkey

Website
www.dvdinmypants.com
Touch either didn't get a camera because the "manufacturing problems" rumor is true (I kinda doubt it) or because Apple decided at the last minute that adding a camera would cannibalize too many iPhone sales (vastly more likely.) It just proves once again that iPod Touch is positioned by Apple specifically as the "gateway drug" for iPhone. The whole thrust of the Apple touch screen ecosystem is to drive people towards iPhone. Touch is just a means to an end.

Code Monkey

Good news, depending on your semantical aim, we can continue with this debate for the next year ;)

It has come to my awareness today that the new nano does NOT have a still pic camera, only a video camera. Why this is so boggles my mind, but I gues Apple decided to just confuse everybody.

Code Monkey

Touch either didn't get a camera because the "manufacturing problems" rumor is true (I kinda doubt it)
We all but know the rumors about the camera problems are true. There were commercial products made for the 3G touch that included the camera port; there are pictures all over the internet and have been for months. Apple would not "at the last minute" opt to tick off that many vendors and accessory makers, who had been working for months to have commercial products in place for the launch, they simply would have never planned to add the camera in the first place.

or because Apple decided at the last minute that adding a camera would cannibalize too many iPhone sales (vastly more likely.) It just proves once again that iPod Touch is positioned by Apple specifically as the "gateway drug" for iPhone. The whole thrust of the Apple touch screen ecosystem is to drive people towards iPhone. Touch is just a means to an end.
I could not disagree with all this "the touch can't be made to compete with the iPhone" explaining more. Any notion that you can convince someone who only wants to spend $200-$400 on a device for the next 1-5 years would or even could be convinced to commit to spending around $1000 for just the first year and upwards of three or four grand over the life of the device for pretty much the exact same device plus a camera, the same camera you insist is practically useless, is a laughable proposition.

People who buy an iPhone are people who are already leaning toward some sort of data-phone. People who buy a touch are people who already have a perfectly satisfactory phone, do not want an iPhone, or simply don't want a phone at all. If you consider that Apple has sold two touches for every three iPhones, and the iPhone had a head start, either A) there is, as I believe, virtually zero overlap between the two consumer bases or B) they are sooooo bad at pushing iPhones over the touch that they are practically halving their sales. Given how much more profitable the iPhone is per unit next to the touch, the sales ratio is so bad that if it really were about protecting iPhone sales, they'd just discontinue the touch, not leave off some "practically useless" camera.

AmazingDM

I still think it's kind of a head-scratching move, regardless of who is right or wrong. Maybe next year they'll remove Safari from the Touch and put wi-fi and safari in the Nano because, afterall, the Touch is a game machine.

I don't really think that, but I do think they've blurred the lines a bit on what each device is for, save for the Classic.
I think I was wrong though. The new nano can't take pictures. But still it's proof they will add things to the Nano that aren't music etc

AmazingDM

Touch either didn't get a camera because the "manufacturing problems" rumor is true (I kinda doubt it) or because Apple decided at the last minute that adding a camera would cannibalize too many iPhone sales (vastly more likely.) It just proves once again that iPod Touch is positioned by Apple specifically as the "gateway drug" for iPhone. The whole thrust of the Apple touch screen ecosystem is to drive people towards iPhone. Touch is just a means to an end.
It sounds like they're making it their gaming device now. Boy they were sly about that. If they had introduced it as a gameboy it would have died because of Nintendo's competition. This way they really kinda went under the radar