I have a new HP mini folding laptop computer now...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

DR0570

...not that wanted one but that’s a different story. I was trying to load my iTunes on it that I have backed up on a pin drive but...I’m not sure how to do that. I dragged the entire iTunes folder (that included the player itself) on the computer...and... I didn’t know what to do so I clicked the player icon to see what would happen, I got an error message that can not remember what it said. So if anyone knows how to take your backed up iTunes Player and put it on another computer and have it function normally. Your help is greatly appreciated.

cjmnews

Staff member
A fairly common question around here.

First off you don't need the iTunes folder where the player was contained, the one in C:\Program Files\iTunes. A new installation will put that there for you.

If your music was managed by iTunes, then all your music on the old computer should be located in My Music\iTunes\.... and by backing up this folder and all the sub-folders underneath it, you will have a copy of everything you need.

If your music was not managed by iTunes, then you need to figure out where your music is located on the old computer and back it up somehow, so that you can put it in the same location(s) on the new computer. You will also need a backup of the My Music\iTunes folder as this is where the library is that tells iTunes where all your music files are.

Either way, depending on the amount of music you have, it may not fit on a Thumb Drive / Pin Drive. I had to use an external hard drive for my move to this new computer. I have moved my library to 6 computers now.

On the new computer, you download and install iTunes. I highly recommend using the real Windows version https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64 instead of the Microsoft Store version. The Microsoft Store version may be lacking the usual features due to Microsoft restrictions. I have seen problems using the Microsoft Store version with other software, so I don't trust iTunes from there.

Then you restore your backup of your iTunes library and Music.

Restore the iTunes folder to the Music folder, overwriting all files. This will put your library and Music (if iTunes was managing your music) onto the new computer where iTunes can find it. If your music was located outside of this folder, you need to restore the Music to the SAME locations where the music was on the new computer.

Open iTunes and you should see your library. If not stop here and post a reply.

Play a track. It will either play or ask you for a location (like if you changed login names between computers), click the locate button and navigate to where the song is located, usually C:\Users\<login name>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\<Artist>\<Album>\<Song>.<ext> (assuming iTunes managed music, if not managed, you will need to find the song where ever it is), and it may ask if you want to update the library with this location and you answer yes. The track will play.

The library is now moved to the new computer.