I get the p2p thing, but this?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

enjoisoad

This is getting rediculus. I bet tableture sites are going down next. Ya know i could understand all of these p2p hating arguments if the artists were living MODEST lives. .... Im not gonna start arguing p2p here as i suspect its agent the rules, (i just deleted 20 or so lines ;) ).

rachwah

rach*
now THAT is ridiculous... guitar licks - is that like tabs?

that's bull$hite. as if you can find every song you want on fricken you know those book things..

the internet is fast and easy... that makes me angry

but then again a lot makes me angry tonight i so grumpy

enjoisoad

Tableture is an alternate form of sheet music. It is like this

e------------|
B------------|
G------------|
D-----3-----|
A-----3------|
E-----1------|

That is a powerchord in tableture.

Dstring 3rd fret
Astring 3rd fret
Estring 1st fret

I find it much easier than reading guitar music. I can read sheet music its just this is much easier.

Last edited:

iTara

Digital Hooligan
enjoisoad said:
Tableture is an alternate form of sheet music. It is like this

e------------|
A------------|
D------------|
G-----3-----|
B-----3------|
E-----1------|

That is a powerchord in tableture.

gstring 3rd fret
bstring 3rd fret
estring 1st fret

I find it much easier than reading guitar music. I can read sheet music its just this is much easier.
Wrong way round dude ;) that powerchord should be

e-------------|
B-------------|
G-------------|
D-----3------|
A-----3------|
E-----1------|

That would be an F minor ;) remember when writing tabs the thinnest string is at the top - its upside down, but it works if you have the guitar lying across your lap

Easter Bunnies Get Drunk After Easter :)

T.

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
This sucks.

Who the hell cares?

Are you gonna pretend to be greenday and find their music online, then record it and sell it to make a greater profit?

actually that wouldn't be a bad idea... :)

It's so ####ing stupid!

bdb

On the B side of life
I've heard tabs mentioned as well.

Its all copyrighted, and printing it without the author's permission is technically a copyright violation. Why they went after this guy and not the lyrics sites, I don't know. Maybe its just a matter of time.

The reasoning behind it is simple. Lyrics are often printed in CD liners, so its one of the values of CDs over downloaded music.

The absurdity of it is that the RIAA labels represent artists that write some of the dumbest lyrics that exist.

enjoisoad

iTara said:
Wrong way round dude ;) that powerchord should be

e-------------|
B-------------|
G-------------|
D-----3------|
A-----3------|
E-----1------|

That would be an F minor ;) remember when writing tabs the thinnest string is at the top - its upside down, but it works if you have the guitar lying across your lap

Easter Bunnies Get Drunk After Easter :)

T.
in my defence it was 3 am ;)

urbanlegend

Toronto Tonto
The music industry doesn't know which way is up. Maybe they would like to come rip our ears off next.

enjoisoad

A rootkit to the brain. You listen to a storebought cd that pumps microscopic hand granades into your brain and when they pickup the sounds of a downloaded pice of music they detonate leaving you to reformat your brain.

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
This is why everybody needs to stop listening to RIAA-backed music, and support indie artists.

Now, if only I could find some (more) decent aritsts ;)

RIAA, please go away.

I don't buy CDs, I buy all my music online. Both through subscription services like Yahoo! Music Unlimited, and Pay-per-download like iTunes. I don't mind paying for music. However, the trouble is it would actually be easier for me to pirate the music (And lyrics now too, eh?) than to download it legally. I have two players, a iPod, and a rio. If I download music from iTunes, it'll work on my iPod, but not my rio. If I download from Y! Music, it wont work on either unless I tunebite it.. which takes time and looses quality. So if I need a high-quality file thats DRM free, my only choice is p2p.

Give me a music store with legal unprotected MP3 downloads, and I'll uninstall my p2p software. (I never use it now. I've only downloaded about two or three tracks over the last 6 months or so. Just ones that you can't find on iTunes.)

But now that *a certain iTunes DRM-removal program* doesn't work with iTunes 6.. I'm stuck with DRMed music again.

Anyway, back on topic with the lyrics and all... they're really just screwing themself (again). I hear a song on the radio I like, but don't catch the name or the artist -- what do I do? Google a few lines of the lyrics of course! So they're actually getting sales from that.

And yes, I understand that they are only (well, for now) going after unlicensed lyric sites.. but thats probably a surprising ammount. And what about fansites that have lyrics for rare and hard-to-find songs? :p

"Don't p!ss off the people who buy."

Josh

bdb

On the B side of life
TheJosher said:
"Don't p!ss off the people who buy."
Why not? They put copy-protection on their CDs, and Contraband hits #1. Sony puts worse copy-protection on their CDs, gets their name smeared all over the papers, and has CDs in the top 10 even during the time that they're getting bad press. They increase the lawsuits, and their CD sales are up (versus last year).

If the American public has sent any message to the RIAA, its that we're willing to let them do anything to us; we'll still buy the music.

I've decided to stop buying from RIAA labels, too. They are just too smarmy. But I realize it won't make any difference from a sales standpoint; I'm only doing this for me.

mjmoonwalker

Website
eminemjamesuk.com
What's next? Going after bands that have names that sound like the real thing? Or bands that play music that sounds remotely like copyrighted music? Bleh...I hate these things.

enjoisoad

I say we all revert back to banging cowhide drums around a campfire.

...cow's will prolly sue us though.....

xGabooNx

i don't really agree with this. I guess I can see their point if they wanna be all technical, but with lyrics, it's not like you get to head the song just because you have the lyrics infront of you. If anything, it makes me like some of my music more because I can easily figure out what the lyric i missed was. Its more handy than trying to find the case since i don't keep my cds in the cases.

As far as the guitar tabs go, I don't agree with that either. Playing someone elses song is alot different than listening to it or owning it. I realize they have rights to the music scores etc, but its not like you can go to a site and get copies of the official sheet music (well maybe you can, i dunno haha). Tabs are how alot of people get into guitar, and there would be far less people playing guitar if they werent as accessible. You could argue that less = good and only the truly dedicated would play and become great but whatever :p

In the end I don't really know what to think. First impression is 'whhhy?" but i still see where they are coming from. But I don't think its lyrics and guitar tabs that are hurting them, so I think they should focus on something else.