How to use iTunes without access to iTunes media

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jsegovia

Hi, all. I use iTunes with a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 tablet running Windows 10. I have over 1 TB of iTunes data - I store all my iTunes media on an external WD My Passport 2 TB drive. My question is if I'm out of the office and I don't have access to my external drive but I do want to stream songs or movies, what's the best way to run iTunes on my Surface so it doesn't mess up the configuration and cause problems for me when I next connect to the external drive?

And if I want to buy a song or movie without my external drive can I do that and then somehow get that song or movie to the library stored on the external drive next time I'm connected?

Thanks!

cjmnews

Staff member
Just run iTunes, and stream Apple Music. Unless you try to save the songs, sync a device or access your library, it should be oblivious to the missing drive.

To be 100% safe, you should have a backup of the iTunes Library.itl file (located in the Music\iTunes folder) from when the drive was last connected. That way if the library gets messed up, you can recover.

I would avoid purchases on the PC as iTunes will want to save them to the missing drive. You can purchase on another device, and when you have the drive again, download your purchases.