• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

how to use handbrake?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gonewiththesin

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
125
Points
0
ok, i have copied a dvd to my laptop, using dvd decrypter.

so whats the next step in converting the movie to a mp4?
 

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
1,522
Points
0
Age
29
Location
Byron, NY
I assume you have a VOB file now...

Open up Handbrake, find the VOB, and tell it what to do as far as settings go... there's even a convenient side-pane that will have presets for iPhone, Apple TV, large iPod and small iPod.

Tell it where to output the file, and click encode.
 

gonewiththesin

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
125
Points
0
ok, so i ripped a movie with dvd drcrypter like it said in the guide, in the previous post.

and when i try to load the ripped movie into handbrake i get this message.

 

gonewiththesin

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
125
Points
0
pohatu771 said:
I assume you have a VOB file now...

Open up Handbrake, find the VOB, and tell it what to do as far as settings go... there's even a convenient side-pane that will have presets for iPhone, Apple TV, large iPod and small iPod.

Tell it where to output the file, and click encode.
ok, i have multiple VOB files., when i used dvd decrypter i chose just the main movie. it outputted 3 VOB files.
 

Sparkee

New member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
5,705
Points
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
Once you have ripped the video off the DVD you should have a Video_TS folder that contains the files from the DVD. Select that folder in Handbrake as the Source and then select the main movie, the roughly 2hr title, in the title box.

If you want to convert it from the vob files I think you will need to open it with file selected in Handbrake. However due to the file size limitations on some file systems most ripping software will make multiple vob files.

Alternatively search for a copy of DVD43 instead of using DVDDecripter for making personal copies of your DVDs. It will help you get around most copy protection and let you covert the movie directly off the DVD using Handbrake. Once DVD43 shows a happy face, browse over to the Video_TS folder on the DVD in Handbrake. There is still some copy protection DVD43 can't do and but it will do everything DVDDecrypter can do with out additional software.
 

gonewiththesin

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
125
Points
0
Sparkee said:
Once you have ripped the video off the DVD you should have a Video_TS folder that contains the files from the DVD. Select that folder in Handbrake as the Source and then select the main movie, the roughly 2hr title, in the title box.

If you want to convert it from the vob files I think you will need to open it with file selected in Handbrake. However due to the file size limitations on some file systems most ripping software will make multiple vob files.

Alternatively search for a copy of DVD43 instead of using DVDDecripter for making personal copies of your DVDs. It will help you get around most copy protection and let you covert the movie directly off the DVD using Handbrake. Once DVD43 shows a happy face, browse over to the Video_TS folder on the DVD in Handbrake. There is still some copy protection DVD43 can't do and but it will do everything DVDDecrypter can do with out additional software.

i'll try ripping the movie with dvd shrink, and see what the results are.
 

gonewiththesin

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
125
Points
0
gonewiththesin said:
ok, so i ripped a movie with dvd drcrypter like it said in the guide, in the previous post.

and when i try to load the ripped movie into handbrake i get this message.


i get that error message when i choose the Video_TS folder as a source.
 

gonewiththesin

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
125
Points
0
gonewiththesin said:
i'll try ripping the movie with dvd shrink, and see what the results are.

it seems that it still rips the movie into multiple VOB files.:shake:


EDIT:

i have tried everything that everybody has mentioned in all the posts, and it just doesn't seem to work at all.

EDIT:
 
Last edited:

Sparkee

New member
Joined
Nov 18, 2005
Messages
5,705
Points
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
Just about every program out there will create multiple vob files because they are too big for some operating systems to handle. If the DVD is properly ripped Handbrake will join the vobs as it creates the movie using the Video_TS as a source, not the vob files. I have made many movies this way.

Try setting the Mode to IFO I in DVDDcrypter, open the Tool/Settings and in the IFO tab change file splitting to none. Then go to the main screen, with the DVD in, and click the Stream Processing tab and enable it selecting the first video and the audio you want. You should get one rather large vob file. This should work on a NTFS drive, not on a Fat32 or lower drive since this file will be roughly 4-6Gbs.
 

gonewiththesin

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
125
Points
0
Sparkee said:
Just about every program out there will create multiple vob files because they are too big for some operating systems to handle. If the DVD is properly ripped Handbrake will join the vobs as it creates the movie using the Video_TS as a source, not the vob files. I have made many movies this way.

Try setting the Mode to IFO I in DVDDcrypter, open the Tool/Settings and in the IFO tab change file splitting to none. Then go to the main screen, with the DVD in, and click the Stream Processing tab and enable it selecting the first video and the audio you want. You should get one rather large vob file. This should work on a NTFS drive, not on a Fat32 or lower drive since this file will be roughly 4-6Gbs.
i did the exact same settings in dvddecrypter and it out putted 2 VOB files that were about 2 - 3gb in total, then when i choose that folder in handbrake i get that error that i posted.
 

studogvetmed

New member
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
10,131
Points
0
Age
41
Location
Tiskilwa, IL
Website
www.vandeventers.com
The dvd43 breaks the encryption with the other programs sometimes don't do on their own. It just runs in the background as you run other programs. So if you rip with that running, you should hopefully be able to then point to the new ripped source and convert...
 

melsmusic

New member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
5,178
Points
0
Well you don't even need to rip. Put in the DVD, open Handbrake, and convert. As long as DVD43 is running and you get the happy face with the DVD you're trying to convert.
 

studogvetmed

New member
Joined
May 14, 2003
Messages
10,131
Points
0
Age
41
Location
Tiskilwa, IL
Website
www.vandeventers.com
melsmusic said:
Well you don't even need to rip. Put in the DVD, open Handbrake, and convert. As long as DVD43 is running and you get the happy face with the DVD you're trying to convert.
Ah, nice, last I had heard, handbrake for windows still couldn't convert from the DVD directly even with decryption software running.

That must have changed.

Cheers.
 

melsmusic

New member
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
5,178
Points
0
studogvetmed said:
Ah, nice, last I had heard, handbrake for windows still couldn't convert from the DVD directly even with decryption software running.

That must have changed.

Cheers.
Yes, it's one nice program with DVD43. I've only started using HB recently, and it's really simple & fast. All the DVDs I've tried have worked. No nasty ugly face you're supposed to get if DVD43 can't get past the encryption. But as I've said in other threads, I'm only converting music DVDs, and Australian ones at that usually, so I'm not sure how it would handle a big budget movie. If I get around to it one of these days, I'll get one of my sons DVDs and give it a shot.
 

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
10,155
Points
0
Age
53
Location
Margaritaville
melsmusic said:
Yes, it's one nice program with DVD43. I've only started using HB recently, and it's really simple & fast. All the DVDs I've tried have worked. No nasty ugly face you're supposed to get if DVD43 can't get past the encryption. But as I've said in other threads, I'm only converting music DVDs, and Australian ones at that usually, so I'm not sure how it would handle a big budget movie. If I get around to it one of these days, I'll get one of my sons DVDs and give it a shot.
Some of the newer ones, especially from Sony or Disney might have issues but otherwise they should work fine. I'm glad this is working well Mel, now it's almost as easy as using Handbrake on a Mac!
 

gonewiththesin

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
125
Points
0
This has been asked before by me, how to rip DVD TV shows

i have asked this before with no success in being able to rip my tv show dvds to my computer to be able to add them to my ipod touch.

can somebody please tell me how, i have tried dvd drcrypter and handbrake, but with no success.


EDIT: i have bought some tv shows episodes from the itunes store, and i would like to know if its possible to burn them to be able to watch on my tv?
 
Top