how to upgrade itunes version

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Chrisman

Hi, I use a lenovo with intel i3 and windows 7 my original version of itunes is v12.5.4.42 Ive just downloaded from "hippo" v12.7 then restarted and went thru a so-called 'repair' sequence I found in the control panel. It all seemed to go swimmingly but I'd like to know IF the new version is indeed in place Where, on this PC, can I read which version is operating ? Also, wouldnt I 'see' some differences in the format of itunes, that is, as distinct from the older version ? Thanks for your help

cjmnews

Staff member
Not sure why you needed File Hippo, the latest version from Apple 12.10.6.2 should work on 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 7.

Version 12.7 should have worked as well. And the Repair process should not be needed. The version number is in Help->About iTunes menu.

iTunes doesn't change much between minor versions. 12.5 should look like 12.10.

Chrisman

Hey, thanks, cjmnews. Indeed v12.10.4.2 is the version on Lenovo. My imac runs V12.8.2.3. Next IM going to ask how, if it is possible, can I 'merge' these 2 separate libraries so that I can have full sets on both machines. theyre quite disparate at present, with my primary use of the iMac and consequent more current playlists and purchased songs, etc. Thanks for your help

cjmnews

Staff member
Merging libraries is ugly. It can be done, but they will get out of sync again. There are no real good tools to tell you what is missing in one and what would be duplicated. Exporting the Music section as a playlist on each system, importing that into Excel to determine the differences is what people used in the past. Then manually copying the data from one system to another. This will not keep the same import dates or play counts, between the systems, but at least you can ensure the databases had the same content at one time.

NAS is the solution that some people have used, sharing a drive. The PC and the MAC might be able to do this but there are issues with slow syncing and using both devices at the same time expecting the library to be updated by both. I recommend making one system a master with write access, the other a slave with read only access in this mode.

Some NAS devices have an iTunes Server built in. This is a little better as the NAS is doing the writes, and the separate systems don't need to coordinate or be used at different times. The slow syncing is still an issue.

I'll stop here until you provide details.

Chrisman

Merging libraries is ugly. It can be done, but they will get out of sync again. There are no real good tools to tell you what is missing in one and what would be duplicated. Exporting the Music section as a playlist on each system, importing that into Excel to determine the differences is what people used in the past. Then manually copying the data from one system to another. This will not keep the same import dates or play counts, between the systems, but at least you can ensure the databases had the same content at one time.

NAS is the solution that some people have used, sharing a drive. The PC and the MAC might be able to do this but there are issues with slow syncing and using both devices at the same time expecting the library to be updated by both. I recommend making one system a master with write access, the other a slave with read only access in this mode.

Some NAS devices have an iTunes Server built in. This is a little better as the NAS is doing the writes, and the separate systems don't need to coordinate or be used at different times. The slow syncing is still an issue.

I'll stop here until you provide details.
Hi, cjmnews, thanks for your commentary. I think that with the complications youve suggested, I might settle for maybe being selective about what I transfer from Lenovo to iMac. Would I move items as playlists or LP's or songs ? Id be happy to get the songs onto iMac (it's not a huge Library) and rebuild the playlists there. How do I procede ? Thanks for your help :eek:))

cjmnews

Staff member
Merging is mostly copying from one system to another and loading it into iTunes.

Some people here want the world, where the import dates are the same between 2 systems, and play counts, playlists and all the other data.

It seems you may be just wanting the music in both locations.
I use a thumb drive.

If these are MP3 files, you need to make sure all the song information is stored in the songs.
Select all the songs, click on File->Convert->Convert ID3 tags
In the popup window put a check mark next to ID tag then choose ID3 tag version 2.3
Click OK.

You can open the thumb drive in Windows Explorer and put it on the left side of the screen.
Then open iTunes and put it on the right side of the screen.
You can then select the some or all the songs you want in iTunes (Click the first one, hold Ctrl then click the second, third, etc then release Ctrl button, if they are not all together, if they are together click the first one, hold Shift and click the last one, or if you want them all Click any song an then type Ctrl-A on the keyboard to select them all)
Drag the songs from iTunes to the thumb drive and drop them. Wait for the copy to finish.

Take the thumb drive to the Mac, open in Finder and put on the left side of the screen
Open iTunes/Music and put it on the right side of the screen.
Select all the songs on the thumb drive and drag the song from the thumb drive and drop on iTunes Library (top of the left column) wait for the import to complete.
Create playlists using your new songs.

You can erase the thumb drive, all done.

Chrisman

Hey, cjmnews, so sorry for my delayed response. Ive not yet attempted your instructions. I dont spend much of my Life ON a screen so I must dedicate a bit of time to try you method of condensing my 2 itunes libraries and I'll report back with my own news, or likely, more questions. But I want to thank you in advance for your attention. I do have one question to begin and that is, how do I 'select' songs? And when I upload a CD, for example, the 'songs' library automatically shows each track with the little box 'checked' What does this checkmark mean? Thanks for your Help

cjmnews

Staff member
Selecting songs is a matter of clicking on 1 and it highlights.

With CD import, the check boxes are there to allow the user to check the tracks they want to import. You don't have to import the entire CD. You can select some tracks and not others.