how to sync if you have more music than space?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

nontoxicglue

a member
Website
nontoxicglue.textamerica.com
Hi, i originally had a 20gig then i had to move to the 40 gig ipod to accomadate my growing music collection. but now i'm now considering ipod mini. i was wondering how does it sync with itunes (update number of times played, star rating etc..). when i tried with my 20gig ipod with my 33 gig music collection with automatic update, it did not update the info (number of times played, star rating).

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
You have to make sure you don't make any changes to the iTunes tags before syncing. Doing this will cause all iTunes data to take precedence over iPod data and erase any changes, playcounts, etc on the iPod.

Syncing with a smaller library I suggest using sync playlists. It will only sync info in those playlists. No changes will be made to anything that not being synced.

Stuart

Starboard

when you plug in the mini, iTunes will try to sync, then it tells you that you have more music than will fit on the mini. You hit okay and iTunes will randomly generate a mini playlist.

But a better to synch is to make up your own playlist. see this thread
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22266
for tips on using smart playlist to make it easier to update your music library.

MikeM

Administrator
nontoxicglue said:
now, i have the annoying job of selecting what music should i put on my 4 gig and what music to leave...
That's why I like to leave it to random selection somewhat on my 10gb.

I sync a playlist of the all of my highly rated tunes so I always have those. And then I use various other playlists to fill in the rest. The ability to limit a smartlist to a certain size and chosen at random really helps here.

With the 4gb, you'll have to be really picky. First, sync the songs you always have to have on you. Then be creative with the rest. Create several different 'filler' lists that you can turn on and off depending on mood or whatever. The key is to not get stagnant. Mix it up!

scottpdann

Is there a way for I-Tunes to RABDONMLY choose my music. It keeps selecting the same songs over and over. I have 20+gb of songs, and I would like it to do the work of choosing my songs. If I didn't want to hear it, it wouldn't be on my computer. I just want the randomness thing to work better.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
Use some last played modifiers to shuffle songs in and out of playlists. Make multiple different playlists in iTunes and have iTunes randomly pick songs from multiple playlists (using the playlist is feature in smartplaylists).

using multiple smartplaylists with different criteria can push some further randomness and allow the shuffling of songs to get other less heard songs in the rotation. See the thread in the mini forum about syncing with a library larger than your iPod.

I think the user "Code Monkey" on the lounge has a link in his signature to his method of Smartplaylist management which is a great way of having new and interesting music on your iPod at all times.

Stuart