How-to: share your library over the Web, iTunes-style

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Sam Williams

I was having a bout of Apple envy the other day over the ability of iTunes 4 users to share their libraries over a Web interface, and set out to do the same on my PC. It turned out to be very simple - it only took <5 minutes to find, download and set up the necessary software, in fact (probably less than iTunes, hehe).

I used BadBlue Personal Edition, which is a freeware app. Incredibly easy to set up - the hardest part was forwarding a port (of my choice) through my NAT router, which some people might not even need to bother with... I now have a neat, simple fileshare that I can switch on and off whenever I want! Particularly useful for swapping tracks with friends.

No guarantees that it'll be switched on when you try it, but if you're lucky, you can see the end result in action here:
http://81.96.181.110:3456/Music/

This was just so much simpler and neater than I'd anticipated, I thought I'd let others know - might come in handy.

Sam

Last edited:

Sam Williams

Well, quite! I hadn't realised when I posted this, but iTunes' sharing system doesn't allow copying of tracks onto the listener's machine; this of course does. Even better :)

sparks9

Im looking tru it right now and downloading final countdown, this is pretty cool, maybe i'll do this myself. The speed isn't very fast though.
I like your music library, i have much of the same stuff.
:cool:

Sam Williams

Of course! Just the same way I ran out and bought Europe's Greatest Hits, just to rip that one track and then erase the album tags from the file... ;)

Glad you like it!

Sam