How to remove scratches?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

L33tG4m3r

iPod, therefore I am
Hi all,

I bought a 5.5G iPod in January, and I was being a total dumb*** and I threw it into my backpack along with some track pants with zippers, a padlock, and my keys. Luckily for me, my iPod didn't get TOO damaged, but I would like some help. There are no scratches on the white front thankfully, but there is:

-This deep-looking scratch on the screen about the size of a period (the one in BOOKS, not girls). It's not visible when the backlight is on or when i'm watching videos, but it's really visible on the iPod when the backlight is off.

-Scratches on the metal caseback. There are LOTS of these, I seriously have no clue how those scratches get there, because they are quite small, but there are a LOT. Considering I kept it in the black felt case for the first 2 weeks of ownership, and I babied it like a hobo with a Rolex. Well, basically, some of them are visible in light, but you can see ALL of them under a 100-watt lamp.

Does anybody know a cheap way to remove these unsightly scratches? I wouldn't mind so much, except for the monster scratch on my screen.

Does anybody know a way to remove these scratches with a cheap (under $25 CDN)solution you can find at Best Buy or some other electronics store (IN CANADA). I would buy them online but i'm 13 and my parents won't let me use their credit card to buy stuff online.

Thanks in advance,

L33tG4m3r

P.S: Does toothpaste really work on removing scratches? Please tell me.

a7dk

I don't know about toothpaste, but a lot of people here recommend brasso.

I use Ice Creme, from RadTech. It's about $15, but I don't know where you can buy it in real life, just Radtech.com.

paranoidxe

both brasso and toothpaste are good forpolishing, however with my experience the only thing brasso did was make a bunch of small scratches..so instead of having one big one I have a bunch of small ones.

I'd definitely recommend something that really is designed to remove scratches, not these cheap alternatives that leave you with nothing more than smaller scratches.

jbelder

Novus is the best scratch remover its made for plastics.

wibbly

The silver back of iPods looks to me like they're chrome plated, but with not much Chrome (which is normally very hard - car bumpers/fenders don't scratch easily). Not sure you'll be able to do much with that except hide it in more scratches. Maybe someone sells (or ought to sell) a good paint that will stick properly to the back of a scratched iPod. If (when!?) mine gets badly scratched, I'd like to spray the back white or black with a paint/material that will REALLY stay on to that shiny surface.

But for the front, try car polish. It's designed for paint (soft) so the likely worst thing that will happen is it will not be abrasive *enough*. Also try (for cars) a non-abrasive polish (for new paintwork). At the end of the day, on plastic, what you're trying to do is soften/smooth the sharp edges of the scratches and/or fill them in, so you can't see them so much. Unless they're VERY light, you won't be removing enough material to actually remove the scratchs as to do so requires you take the rest of the surface down to level of the bottom of the scratch...

Last edited: