How to Relocate your iTunes Library

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

guthrie-ji

thanks.

I just deleted all music items from iTunes, and re-added them, it buzzed around for awhile, and all seemed OK. When it did a sync with the iPod, it didn't do anything, it seemed to figure things out OK.
Thanks for the notes and information.

Nemphtis

Website
www.zetzio.com
Moving from PC to iMac

Hello. I've just read the original post and would like to explain my situation to get a little more in-depth advice. Up until recently, I have been using a desktop PC, which is where my iTunes library resides. I purchased a MacBook Pro a few months ago and enjoyed using it so much that I placed an order for an iMac yesterday, and I'm planning to slowly transition everything, including my iTunes library to the new iMac and just use my PC for gaming.

So how can I move my entire iTunes library from my PC to my iMac with as few losses as possible? Keep in mind, I plan to install Windows 7, thus wiping the PC clean, so no important files can remain on my PC, everything needs to be on my iMac.

Any help mirroring this for my MacBook Pro so that I have access to my music library when I go abroad or when I'm not on my iMac would be a great bonus. iTunes seems to do a great job confusing me and I'm constantly paranoid that I'll wipe my entire music collection by accident if I fiddle with things without prior advice.

bobjohnson

I tunes Library

Hi please can someone help me. I am struggling to understand how I tunes selects folders, arranges folders, libraries and tracks, I keep finding files on my C drive which I want to transfer all into one place but when adding files I tunes seems to copy all music files to C drive by default which is very annoying.

Now I have two or 3 copies of some tracks and cannot get a proper idea of how much music I actually have. Why cant it simply work like Windows media player which is so much simpler to user as you just select which folders you want to add. Im assuming that Itunes is more complex as the ability to purchase songs from the internet mean a library/catalogue system is required.

Also when I hit sync music in itunes why does it say: Are you sure you want to sync music all music will be replaced. Why doesnt it keep the exisiting files and and add new ones that I have purchased

Frustrated of Melton Mowbray

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Hello. I've just read the original post and would like to explain my situation to get a little more in-depth advice. Up until recently, I have been using a desktop PC, which is where my iTunes library resides. I purchased a MacBook Pro a few months ago and enjoyed using it so much that I placed an order for an iMac yesterday, and I'm planning to slowly transition everything, including my iTunes library to the new iMac and just use my PC for gaming.
Moving from a PC to a Mac (or vice-versa) is a bit more tricky due to the different in file naming conventions. iTunes stores a full path to each file in your library, but of course the Mac has no concept of a "C:" drive or "D:" drive, so the paths won't match.

You can get around this, however, if you have iTunes storing all of your media files in the standard organization within the iTunes Media folder, since what happens when iTunes can't locate a track in its specific path, it "falls back" to looking in the default location where that track should be.

You can find more detailed info in our article on Transferring your iTunes Library.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Hi please can someone help me. I am struggling to understand how I tunes selects folders, arranges folders, libraries and tracks, I keep finding files on my C drive which I want to transfer all into one place but when adding files I tunes seems to copy all music files to C drive by default which is very annoying.
I'd suggest our Beginner's Guide to iTunes as a good place to start, as it explains a lot of these concepts in detail.

That said, iTunes lets you manage your music files in one of two broad ways: You either put everything in the iTunes Media folder or you let iTunes reference it from wherever you want to keep it on your hard drive. In most cases, it's easier to let iTunes copy it over and then you can just clean up the original files that are outside of the iTunes Media folder.

The settings that control this are in your iTunes Preferences, under the "Advanced" tab. If you want to leave files in their original locations when importing them, simply turn OFF the "Copy Files..." option found in that section.

You can also use the "Consolidate Files" option (see Transferring your iTunes Library for details) to copy any "stray" files into your iTunes Media folder so that at least you'll know everything is in one place and can then clean up anything that's lying around elsewhere

As for the iPod sync, the important point to keep in mind is that iTunes treats your iPod as a mirrored extension of your library when using automatic sync. Your iPod will therefore never contain anything that isn't already in your library. The way iTunes is designed to work is that your library on your computer is the master hub, and what you put on your media devices is an extension of that.

If you don't intend to keep your songs on your computer, then you'll need to look at using "manual" management of your iPod, in which case you can simply drag-and-drop tracks onto it through iTunes and it will be treated as its own, independent library. This is also explained in more detail in the Beginner's Guide linked to above.

Joeschmoedude

I recently switched from a pc to a Mac and was unsure of how to move my music library from my pc to Mac with a certain program that pulls it from the iPod. If anybody knows of any such program could you please let me know?

syberkill

Ok, I think what the first technique of this post is what I need to do. However a few questions:

Scenario: I want to copy my library and songs to a laptop exactly how they are now, with all track info and album covers, to keep iTunes from mashing up two separate iPhones. I know I can probably do this without the transfer, but I'd like to just ge able to plug and sync one phone to my PC and the other to my laptop.

If I do what is said here, will the original files on my pc be deleted when I do the copy thing?

TomT_41

First time poster. I have learned a lot by reading JHollington's article and the forums. Here's my question.

We received (as a gift) an external hard drive with a bunch of music and other media on it. We also have an extensive library on our home PC (operating XP currently). We want to combine all the media from the two iTunes music libraries together. What's the best way to do this?

1: Can we simply import (or drag and drop) the files from the new HD into our PC's library?

2: Should we move all of our PC music library onto the hard drive and consolidate the files there? Since there are iTunes music/media folders in both locations, will this cause a problem?

3: Since the files on the HD were downloaded to another computer originally (a Mac) are we going to have access and/or compatibility problems? We definitely don't want to lose our current files.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

bar

Website
s52.photobucket.com
First time poster. I have learned a lot by reading JHollington's article and the forums. Here's my question.

We received (as a gift) an external hard drive with a bunch of music and other media on it. We also have an extensive library on our home PC (operating XP currently). We want to combine all the media from the two iTunes music libraries together. What's the best way to do this?

1: Can we simply import (or drag and drop) the files from the new HD into our PC's library?

2: Should we move all of our PC music library onto the hard drive and consolidate the files there? Since there are iTunes music/media folders in both locations, will this cause a problem?

3: Since the files on the HD were downloaded to another computer originally (a Mac) are we going to have access and/or compatibility problems? We definitely don't want to lose our current files.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
In my opinion, the easiest way(assuming your main HD has the space) is to open iTunes, and click FILE/ADD FOLDER TO LIBRARY, and select the folder in question. That is assuming you have selected the "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library " selected in the advanced preferences. If you haven't, select that first and then do the sequence.
If you do that, they will all be imported from the HD, and there will be copies made on your computer's HD. Then(After making sure they all copied), you can scrub the originals to save space.
I hope that helps.

notaclueguru

help!!
i have trouble with my itunes when i try to play a song it asks me to locate and then when i click on that it shows folders of different downloads of itunes which d'ont open the songs either,if someone can answer this problem i would be gratefull as im not very computer literate

bar

Website
s52.photobucket.com
help!!
i have trouble with my itunes when i try to play a song it asks me to locate and then when i click on that it shows folders of different downloads of itunes which d'ont open the songs either,if someone can answer this problem i would be gratefull as im not very computer literate
In order to allow itunes to work best, i prefer to select "Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library" in the advanced preferences. If you haven't, do that.
It won't really solve the problem with the current tracks, but will solve it from now on.
Assuming the tracks you are talking about are SOMEWHERE on your computer, just erase the ones with the exclamation mark, and add them to your iTunes again. If you selected the setting i mentioned above, you will never have the problem again.

haleytivet

Attempting to sync with external hard drive

OK. I'm sure the answer to my question is on this forum somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

I moved/copied all itunes onto an external hard drive. I renamed the location and I believe I have everything saved the right way. I am now attempting to sync my iphone and it is telling me I have to erase everything in order to sync.

I have tried the "manage music files" but it's not allowing me to accept this change.

I am a MAC user and can't seem to figure out how to sync my phone without losing everything on it and starting over.

If I have to start over by erasing everything how do I start over? And will this same thing happen next time I try to sync?

Please help! :) Thanks!

jstuneck

Deleted the wrong files

I am trying to move itunes to a new internal hard drive to create more space on the original drive. I successfully changes the location of the files onto the new drive as described in this post (I actually followed the directions in the article "Transferring your iTunes Library".) I carefully verified that the files had been transfered and then deleted what I thought was the music files on the original drive. I had actually chosen the newly copied files. I assumed I would be able to repeat the steps above to recopy the music files, however when I do, nothing happens.

What is the most efficient way to get the music files re-copied? It is only the music files that are missing. The movie, tv and podcast files are still in the new location. I did choose one album to import (I think that is what I chose) into itunes. It now works, but every track is duplicated (one that works and one that has an exclamation point and doesn't work.) There must be a way to do this without all the duplicates.

Thank you for any help you can give to this not completely computer literate person.

blugsr

itunes reloco.tion

yes I looked but I couldnt find any topic that covered using an external hd as your source drive for itunes. ive dl itunes plus the 8 k songs that i have on the f drive. they show up but with the exclamation point. I cant find these songs one by one to correct this problem. there has got to be an easier way

crash613

yes I looked but I couldnt find any topic that covered using an external hd as your source drive for itunes. ive dl itunes plus the 8 k songs that i have on the f drive. they show up but with the exclamation point. I cant find these songs one by one to correct this problem. there has got to be an easier way
see my post in here, somewhere, for step by step instructions

sherrycanary

recreating library

3) Choose a new Music folder, and enter it into the appropriate box in the Advanced Tab of Preferences. (For me, a folder on the new internal drive. For you, on the external drive.)

Hi

How and where do I create this new music folder?

Thanks,
Sherry

Thom_D

What about my phone backups and apps

With 11 pages of replys and the terrible search tool I just couldn't find the answer to this question. I have a new laptop running Windows 7and I am going to move iTunes from my old and soon to be dead desktop PC running windows XP. I get how to consolidate my music files, copy my iTunes folder from my old PC to my external hard drive and then copy that onto my laptops hard drive. This all seems pretty straight forward.

The question is, will this process also copy my iPhone backups, apps, photos, etc. from the old PC to the new one? Or are there additional steps I have to take in order to get everything moved over to the new PC.

I want to have essentially an exact copy of all of iTunes from my old computer (music, cover art, play lists, play history, iPhone backups, iPhone apps, the whole nine yards that has become iTunes) on my new one because as I mentioned I am going to retire the old machine and donate it to a school or church.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Provided you've upgraded to the new iTunes Media folder structure your apps will be included in the consolidated Media folder, as this puts the "Mobile Applications" folder in the same hierarchy as the rest of your media content (music, movies, books, etc).

Your iPhone backup sare stored elsewhere, and while you can move those over if you really want to, there's rarely any point in doing so, since you'll get a whole new backup the next time you connect your iPhone anyway. You can find more information about where those are stored in this Apple support article: iPhone and iPod touch: About backups

Your photos actually have very little to do with iTunes, so you'll need to move those over yourself. The only thing iTunes knows about your photos is the folder you've pointed it to -- it syncs photos from that location, and even creates a cache of converted thumbnails in that folder, but otherwise doesn't touch or care about your photo collection.

crashtestdummy

I just moved my iTunes from XP to Windows 7. All my music was on an external. First I just copied the .xml file in the iTunes folder in My Music. My iTunes was OK, but my iPod Classic wasn't. I restored it and resynced it. Then I copied everything from my iTunes folder to my new iTunes folder. When I synced my iPhone, everything was happy.