How to recover lost data/files in your iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

fordoix

Thanks for the info guys.
The files do seem to be complete, they are all around 3/4/5mb's.
I tried the yamiPod software and that didn't work either. Pls let me know how you get on iTony-B and if it works for you I'll follow whatever you did.

iTony-B

Fordoix -

Good news - I was able to recover allocated and deleted files from the copy of my iPod drive and these files played in Windows Media Player and iTunes. All the info (Artist, Album, etc) was still present for each recovered file. For purchased music, iTunes prompted me for the password to authenticate the computer.

Bad news - The software and technology I'm using is the same stuff that corporate security and law enforcement use in computer investigations. The computer I'm using is designed for computer forensics and the software is expensive ($2500).

More bad news - It would be difficult for you to replicate what I am doing. However, if you want to give it a try, here's what I did. I connected my iPod to a write protected firewire port on my forensic computer. I then created a sector by sector copy of the iPod's drive to a separate hard drive in the forensic box. I examined that copy with a forensic analysis tool (EnCase www.encase.com) and carved out some MP3 and M4P files to the forensic computer's hard drive. Those files could then be burned to a disc, loaded into iTunes, or whatever as they are now just files. For you to do this, you would need software to make the copy of the iPod and software to examine the copy for the music files. It doesn't have to be what I used but it will probably be more than the software listed here since most/all of those examine the iPod live and unprotected. This is something we never do in computer forensics. Also, there's no guarantee that this will work for you. If the files on the iPod are corrupted for whatever reason, then its unlikely that anything will bring them back. But its always worth a try.

Maybe good news - Check your PM for my contact info. Maybe we can work this out to try to get some/all of your files back.

Tony

Last edited:

jimmytsai

Heyz..

This article realli helped me a lot.. Thanks everyone!

I duno why all d songs were gone suddenly.. but anyways, im tryin to recover em.

Btw.. I just wana ask you all.. cuz i just tried to recover a song with "Recover4All". however, after i recovered it, i found i couldnt add the file to the library.. wut shld i do to import this recovered song back to my iPod? (i also found that no players could play d files too.."

anyone can help me? cuz this iPod is my friend's actually.. and i accidentally made a big mistake.. i havent told my frien tho.. thanks

iTony-B

If the songs aren't playing on your computer then they are not recovering properly. Try another recovery program. Also, if you are using the free demo of the software, make sure that the demo is capable of making the recovery or if it only tels you what it can recover. To actually recover the files, you may need to purchase the software.

almamatter

this just happened to me this morning. I freaked out for a while until I found this topic, and downloaded Recover4all 2.26, I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with the fundamentals of it? Firstly since through itunes everything was deleted, am I meant to scan my pcs harddrive or my ipod?? and if i'm meant to scan my ipod, how do i get it to appear etc? i tried plugging it in to a usb port but don't know how to select it....please please please give me some tips, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

iTony-B

Run the recovery software on the iPod drive.

The iPod should show in Windows Explorer (My Computer) as a removable drive. If Windows is not mounting the iPod when you plug it in, try a different USB port or a different computer. Since Recovery4all will run from a floppy disk, you should be able to do it from any computer.

Temmy

iTony-B what did you use to get a write protected firewire port ?

iTony-B

I use a couple of different methods to write protect the USB and Firewire ports. For the iPod tests, I used a software utility (not commercially available - sorry) that write protects everything except the operating system drive on start up. Then I go in and unprotect the drive that will receive the files. The iPod mounts through the protected port and my initial tests show that it remains unchanged.

If you need more specific information, PM or email me and I'll share what I can.

darknik

What if I don't even have an iPod. I was just using iTunes to listen to music on my computer, but my computer crashed. Can I still get back my purcashed music?

iTony-B

Maybe. Best way is to connect your computer's hard drive to another computer that is running the data recovery software. The less you use your computer, the better your chances of getting your files back.

darknik

What data recovery software would I use? How would I connect the hard drive?

Thank you very much for your help

iTony-B

The choice of data recovery software depends on your budget. Look at the various data recovery applications listed in this thread for a starting point.

Optimally, you would want to connect the drive through a write protected connection. If you don't have that available, connect it as a slave drive.

If that doesn't work, you may need the services of a data recovery company. Contact me off list if you need more help.

gsb33

I was able to recover my music and save it all to my PC. The problem I am having is getting it back onto my iPod. If I try to add the files (m4a format) to my library, nothing happens. The file does not show up in the library. The strange thing is that iTune recognizes the file.

I'm stumped!

Jolie

fordoix

I am having this same problem. I used PC Inspector File Recovery. I located those files but iPod and iTunes could not read it and it is in mp3 format. Have you been able to figure this out?

Window xp - iPod 3.0 - 20 GB
1st time user.

wrayrl

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this if your ipod won't even mount? I have a 2G ipod 10GB Window but i use a Mac.

Please help! THanks.

chedabob

i managed to get hold of recovery software(recover my files) and i made an exact copy of the files that had been erased. i copied them back to the ipod (just drag and drop in windows explorer). now itunes cant read the database, yamipod the same, and the ipod show no songs but some space is used. I deleted the itunes database, and yamipod started to repair but crashed. any ideas?

sixzero

Website
gamingdynasty.com
I have a few questions:

This hasnt happened to me yet but how are you at risk? Can this happen when you try to transfer songs/pics from computer to ipod? I havnt had any issues yet but I notice that sometimes artwork or ratings are gone for some songs...

Before this happens can somebody please explain in detail about this and how to prevent it. I read the whole thread but Im still worried i might lose my music.

Fooman

Sadly, I wiped out my ipod when I used the Ipod Install CD to install onto my new PC. I was meaning to install Itunes instead. Half way through the installation, I realized my mistake and cancelled. However, it managed to wipe out my songs.

I used PC Inspector and it was able to find my files. I did a test recover and it was able to recover a file and even though my media player recognizes it as a mp3 file, it doesn't play it. Is there something else that needs to be done?

Help....I'm desperate. I was thinking of registrating, but if the program doesn't work right, what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.