How to recover lost data/files in your iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

thisdarcy

I was so glad to find this thread here. Thanks to all who have posted.

My Ipod got wiped clean today - 12GB of music, 6GB of digital photos. My CDs are all back home in Canada and I have no other copies of my photos. Stupid, I know, but I bought my Ipod before moving to London because I had to sell off my computer to make the move and I didn't want to cart all my CDs with me, so dumping my music and my photos and some other personal files onto an Ipod seemed the perfect sollution. Everything was fine for so long until today.

My roomate just got her G4 up and running after it had sat collecting dust since I'd moved in. There wasn't much really wrong with it, she's just not very computer savvy. It came back with her 9.2 on it, but she also owned an ancient copy of X - 10.0.4. We couldn't get the internet running under 9.2 so I installed X onto her second hard drive and things were fine. I plugged my Ipod into the firewire port and then noticed there was no Itunes, or any of the Ilife software for that matter, on there. I'm from a Winows PC background, which is what my Ipod is formatted for, but I've had it plugged into Macs back home before and loaded some of my music onto it from them as well with no problems. But here I couldn't access my Ipod in the OS and it had the "do not disconnect" warning on it, so I had no choice but to shut down the computer, which I've done before to disconnect an unwlling Ipod and has worked fine. This time, oddly, even with the computer shut down it was still flashing do not disconnect, though the charge meter had stopped charging. I turned the computer on again and when it was loaded up I glanced at my Ipod and saw it was no longer flashing the message so I disconnected it. Then I noticed it was on the language selection menu. I thought that was odd but just backed my way out to the main menu. Then I got a sinking feeling. I clicked through to where my music would be and it was all gone. I checked the about menu and it confirmed the Ipod was blank.

Now I know, having read this, that the Ipod is not in fact blank, and that there is hope for getting my files back, which is a hope I am really holding on to, but what has me really confused and equally upset is that I just don't understand how this could have happened. Can someone maybe explain this?

Also, I'm wondering, since my Ipod is configured for the PC and I currently only have access to a Mac, does that hinder my ability to regain my files?

Thanks so much for any help.

chanmj

From reading this thread, I find it quite informative on how to deal with lost data files.

I have a question for all and was wondering if anyone could provide solutions to my problem.

Basically, I had reinstalled a windows xp os on my home pc and had accidentally deleted the partition drive on my ipod - which was connected to my home pc at the time - that had over 2,000 songs and was used as a temporily backup storage device as well. As a result of my mistake, I have lost all my music and backup files.

Under my Windows XP os, it recognises the ipod drive but can't access the drive since the drive is said to be clean. I've tried some of the solutions in this thread but with no luck as the applications couldn't recognise the ipod drive.

From speaking with some friends, they recommended that I install the latest ipod updater files onto the unit. Then use one of the applications mentioned in this thread, such as copypod, to recover these files. My only concern with this solution is that if I install the ipod updater files to my ipod, would it format the ipod harddisk which would result in my files being wiped out clean without any hope of recovering.

Could anyone provide any kind assistance to my problem as I'm considering all options to recover my stuff?

reblet

the software you suggested for recovering data

hey, thanks for all those helpful suggestions! much appreciated.

You listed Recover4All Pro, PC Inspector, and Handy Recovery,
and then you listed "Data Recovery for Mac users, with Stellar Information and Virtual Lab.

I have a Mac --- did you mean that the first 3 you listed are not mac-compatible? I'd like to try Recover4All since you tried it.

my situation is that I was pre-occupied and too busy, and unplugged my iPod firewire from my PowerBook G4 without properly ejecting. and I did it TWICE!
Now, the iPod won't show any of the music I put on it,
and when I plug it into my computer it makes iTunes quit, immediately.

But the icon does mount on the desktop.

Would you recommend Recover4All Pro for this situation?
thanks!
Reblet

mikeinta

What about files moved?

In my case I was using XPlay to copy data when it crashed. It shows I have 8GB of data but I can't see the data anywhere. Previously, something silimar happened and it automatically created a "1" folder and I just moved the data back. In this case, there's no folder showing it but it shows 8GB there somewhere. How do I find it?

Thanks in advance

redhouse

recover4all didn't really work?

Thanks for the Revocery4all suggestion. I too inadvertantly deleted about 13 gigs worth of music without any backups and at least my music is back...well, kinda.

I ran Recovery4all. It took about 3 days to scan and recover my music. But alas! An interesting thing happened and it probably wasn't worth the effort afterall:

All the music was recovered, as I said, but none of the song names corresponded to what the songs really were. In addition they were spliced with other songs right in the midde, or at the end. For instance, "E-Z DOES IT" and "#### THE POLICE" by Ray LaMontagne. "AJA-NI-KAMBALI (the New Delhi remix)" by Frank Sinatra, and my absolute favorite: "Crack-Ho Gangsta #####es" by Johan Sebastian Bach.

It seems that Recover4all would see the running time of a particular file and randomly insert another file to conform to that running time...so not only are the songs mislabeled but the complete songs aren't even there, rather they are spliced with others.

If there is another step I'm not aware of with Recovery4All then if anyone knows... please let me know. Otherwise, everone who buys this product, like any other data recovery program, BEWARE! All that is solid melts into air.

gloriphobia

my ipod has for some reason messed up... it wont recognise that all of my music is on it, when it is disconnected, but when i reconnected it to the computer, itunes recognises it, and so i know the songs are there, would running the recover programmes mentioned on this thread help? thanks!!

ipodman715

Website
www.twitmirror.com
Re: recover4all didn't really work?

redhouse said:

All the music was recovered, as I said, but none of the song names corresponded to what the songs really were. In addition they were spliced with other songs right in the midde, or at the end. For instance, "E-Z DOES IT" and "#### THE POLICE" by Ray LaMontagne. "AJA-NI-KAMBALI (the New Delhi remix)" by Frank Sinatra, and my absolute favorite: "Crack-Ho Gangsta #####es" by Johan Sebastian Bach.
LOL!!! :D :D :D

Last edited:

gloriphobia

thanks 4 the help! i'm really stupid, sorry, i got it 2 work, by just restarting it!

aliensx

So... if I understand well... the ONLY program that REALLY does recover everything from the ipod is IPODSALVAGE?

I mean... recover4all recovers only the songs but not the structure of the library?

Could someone explain this please?

Thank you

btf7

MediaRecover

What ever you do... DO NOT Purchase Media Recover Pro or any of their products. It was able to pull photos off my iPod, but they were in an unreadable format. No tech support, no customer service. The sales people were not honest at all.

I had to purchase Image Recall instead. It worked flawlessly.
I highly recommend it.

This was for Photos lost or deleted on an iPod.

sessions

i need to know what apple software does when it reinitialises your ipod... i have scanned the disk with some programs and by the looks of things there are 2 partitions on it... both 38ish gig, so i recon they just write a new bunch of stuff the the HD to setup the new partitions... just need to change that back to the way it was...

dammm itunes... apple please sort it out!!! also whilst you are at it please add a feature of building a playlist on the ipod... it must be really easy to do... just do it!

Ajarn

Noob here....

Hi all, I am in the Land of Smiles - Thailand and I have a Sony Laptop with a mini Firewire port. My friend has an ipod so I told her, she can plug it into my laptop and so i can "backup" her music. I plugged it in, and the HD was blank.

Although she had 5gig of music on it. Now I have done what you all suggest using Recover4all but I have a problem. The battery on the ipod dies after an hour or so. Is the Firewire meant to charge the IPOD so it doesnt use battery?

So while the program is scanning, after about 1 hour, the ipod runs out of battery power, and thats it. Am i doing something wrong? Do i need to get a USB lead? Or do i need to have full size firewire? I have tried it with both, the lead on its own and the docking station and still no luck. I get upto about 400,000 sectors scanned and battery dies. I think its only about 5% scanned.

Please help
Thank you all

Ajarn

Last edited:

angelius

ELo am a new comer from mauritius a tropical island in the indian ocean!!:D
Plz help me!!
i got a greater problem!!
i have reformat my ipod with my pc, but as a great noob that i am i continued to insert folder on my ipod!!the format of the pc and ipod was done in January 2005!!
i inserted a lot of new anime and mp3 files!! When i found my cd itunes 2 or 3 month ago it says that i can't mount ipod!! so wat to do now??? its bearly 6 months!! i even go to the agency of mauritius
but they don't promise to repair it??
PLZ HELP ME!!!

angelius

Plz help me!!
i have reformat my ipod with my pc, but as a great noob that i am i continued to insert folder on my ipod!!the format of the pc and ipod was done in January 2005!!
i inserted a lot of new anime and mp3 files!! When i found my cd itunes 2 or 3 month ago it says that i can't mount ipod!! so wat to do now??? its bearly 6 months!! i even go to the agency of mauritius
PLZ HELP ME!!!

angelius

Plz help me!!
PLZ HELP ME!!!

LISAFIELDS

Hi,
New here, I just read about the infamous disappearance of songs from ipods. I just spent 2 weeks putting songs from cd's on the one I just got and all of a sudden, my ipod says there is no room left on it but the songs won't show up. When I finished last night I had approx. 8/10ths of free space left. Is this the same as the problem being discussed here? I checked out itunes for the first time last night. Could itunes have caused this? I'm freaking out and really, really angry!

Has this happened to anyone else and how do I find out if the songe are there or not?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one can answer you unless you post your information:
-what OS are you using?
-how many songs are on the iPod?
-what bit rate are the songs??
-what iPod HD size are you using?

You probably need to just reset the iPod so that the songs will appear.

Start a new thread on your problem if the reset doesn't work. This thread is for people who have had their HD erased and are trying to recover the songs from the HD via data recovery software. This does not sound like the same problem.

yoshi-pod

Thanks a million for the info. I formatted my HDD and without investigating figured I could leave everything on my iPod and then just sync - d'oh.
Running recover4all right now. Weird thing happened though. I let it run it's first scan and tried recovering my files, but they were completely screwed. Filenames didn't match with the music playing - AT ALL. Also, all ID3 info was gone as well. Damn.
So, I'm running it again and letting it complete it's second scan, hopefully that'll work. Otherwise all my songs are completely gone - nooooo.

Status
Not open for further replies.