How to go back to iTunes 4.9 with library intact.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

snowdog99

Over the course of the last couple of weeks I've tried every option and every suggested fix to get iTunes 5 and 5.0.1 working, without any success. As a result I've got pretty good at returning to iTunes 4.9.

I wrote instructions in response to a PM and thought others might like them too, especially since I've discovered a way to restore the library that I don't think has been mentioned before.

I'm not saying this is the definitive method but I've done it several times now and its worked every time.

1. Un-install iTunes 5 via Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs. Don't restart your PC when it offers.

2. Un-install QuickTime the same way.

3. Go to C:\Program Files and look for folders called iTunes and QuickTime. If they are there (they may not be so don't panic) delete them.

4. Make sure you can see hidden files - My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View - in the Advanced settings area make sure "Show hidden files and folders" option is selected.

5. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Temp - delete anything that's there.

6. Empty the Recycle bin and restart your PC.

7. Run the 4.9 installer which will also install the appropriate version of QuickTime. If you don't have the installer you can download it from http://www.freedownloads.be/downloaddetail/570-iTunes-4.9
Personally I never delete one version's installer till I have a newer one up and running properly.

8. Itunes 5 will have changed the library file so 4.9 won't be able to read it; this doesn't have any effect on the music files, just the file that lists them in iTunes. The files are usually in a folder called "iTunes" in the "My Music" folder. There are two files -"iTunes Music Library.xml"and "iTunes Library.itl". Delete "iTunes Library.itl". There is a sub folder in the same place called “Previous iTunes Libraries”. Open it and find the most recent file that pre-dates the iTunes 5 installation (it should have the date iTunes 5 was first installed as part of its name). Right click it and select “Rename” – delete the date part of the name, making it just "iTunes Library.itl". Drag this file out of the “Previous iTunes Libraries” folder into the “iTunes” folder.

Itunes should now work, with the library as it previously was.