How to fix the track order?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

invisibleman18

I have a problem I hope someone can help with.
A new album I recently added to my ipod is playing in the wrong order. When viewing it from my ipod through itunes on the computer, they show as being in the correct order, but on my ipod they are in the wrong order. Specifically tracks 12-15 are playing at the start before track 1, even though I have been through editing the info and each song has the correct track number stored. They are just appearing and hence playing in the wrong order in my ipod, despite showing in the correct order in itunes when my ipod is connected to the computer.

Anyone know how to solve this?

invisibleman18

Well isn't that Murphy's Law?
Immediately after ejecting the ipod, they are now in the right order even though I did nothing to change them!

Still, they were like this for a couple of weeks so does anyone know why, and what you can do to get them in the correct order when this happens?

Website
www.ilounge.com
This seems to have happened to a few people, and although the exact cause has yet to be specifically identified, the most common solution is to remove the tracks from the iPod (not necessarily iTunes itself), and re-add them.

iTunes actually controls the sort order on the iPod... The iPod just displays the tracks in whatever order iTunes specifies.

If you're using manual sync, removing and re-adding the tracks is as simple as manually deleting them from the iPod and dragging them back on.

If you're using automatic sync, the easiest solution is to tell iTunes to only sync checked tracks to your iPod, and then UNcheck the tracks you want removed. Sync the iPod, and those tracks will be removed (since they're no longer selected for synchronization). You can then RE-check them and sync again to add them back onto the iPod.

Endeavor

A few things to check in your tags:

1) If you have disc number entered, remove it on all tracks for that album (or all tracks in your collection if you don't use that field.) It's been known to create play order problems, especially if some songs on the album have disc number and others don't.

2) Make sure the "artist" and "album artist" are exactly the same - no extra spaces, commas, etc. (ie if the artist is "John Mayer", the album artist should be "John Mayer"). The simplest way to do this is to highlight all tracks for an album, then click "Get Info" and retype the artist, and click OK to save it to all the tracks.

Also, if you're playing the album from a playlist (sounds like you aren't but for those who are...), sort the playlist in the correct order, then right click on the playlist name and click "Copy To Play Order". That will save the track order for the playlist.

Bill

invisibleman18

Thanks for the replies.
I had checked those things already. Made careful sure the artist was exactly the same for each track, and the track numbers were correct. I did have a disc number, although I made sure it was the same for each track.
Itunes showed them in the correct order but when disconnecing the ipod, the order was wrong. It was like that for about 2 weeks and then when I posted the question and then disconnected the ipod, the tracks were suddenly in the correct order even though I had done nothing to try and change them.

Having a look now and I see for some reason the artist album is entered as the same as the artist for tracks 11-15 while nothing is entered for 'artist album' for tracks 1-10. So that must have been the reason why 11-15 were coming up first. As far as I know I haven't changed that on my ipod though as I didn't know until now, so it's strange they are suddenly in the correct order.
Thanks for the tips.