How To Delete A Genre From The Ipod Classics

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

REDSHIFT1

Title says all: I want to delete the genre "holiday" from the ipod itself, but keep it in the library. And then keep the Itunes program from redownloading it into the ipod every time I connect it to the PC. I am trying to finish up importing my cds into the itunes. Turns out I am not going to have enough room on the ipod itself.

Cold Irons

As far as I know, the genre's present on the iPod are controlled by what songs are on the iPod. If you have "Holiday" genre songs on the iPod, that genre will be in the list.

You could define a smart playlist that excludes Holiday songs & then sync your iPod to that playlist vs. syncing to your whole library.

otaku

Smart Playlist?

Only way I can think of is to set up a smart playlist that excludes the genre and then set the iPod to sync to that playlist.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
For holiday tunes, a common way to avoid syncing them is to un-check them in iTunes and set your iPod to sync only checked items.

To the OP's last comment, if your library exceeds the capacity of your iPod, take a look at how you can manage this with creative the use of smart playlists, written by Code Monkey, a regular contributor around here:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1154607/smartlist-management-pdf?da=y&dnad=y

REDSHIFT1

Well I have discovered that I can have the ipod sync with every genre except Holiday and I get the same results as if I had deleted the genre from the ipod itself. And as long as I keep the "manually manage music" thing active on the ipod, the software wont reload the holiday into the ipod. Catch is that now I am going thru the ENTIRE library one album and artist at time and making sure the each is classed in a genre. If I don't then that song, album, etc., will not show up on the ipod.