How to copy Playlists from iPod to Computer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

larryfield

How can I copy playlists from the iPod to my computer? I don't want to copy songs, they are already on the computer. I just want the playlists copied (for backup purposes) to the computer where then can appear in iTunes.

Thanks,
LF

GadgetGuru72

Sorry, but that can't be done.

There are several third party applications (e.g., iPod Agent) that can copy songs from the iPod back to the computer. In doing so, they also copy the playlists. However, there is no way to copy just the playlists.

If you want the same playlists in iTunes, you'll have to go through and manually create them. Even if you've got a bunch of playlists with several rules in each playlist, you'll be surprised how quickly this can be done. It shouldn't take you very long at all.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Are you sure about that? I seem to recall that I was able to do this with CopyPod, although I can't remember for certain.

I think that CopyPod will basically try to recover to songs if they're not in iTunes already, but will just skip over them if they already exist. The end result should be the same.

GadgetGuru72

jhollington said:
Are you sure about that? I seem to recall that I was able to do this with CopyPod, although I can't remember for certain.

I think that CopyPod will basically try to recover to songs if they're not in iTunes already, but will just skip over them if they already exist. The end result should be the same.
Well, I was sure when I posted my comments. ;)

Now, I'm starting to wonder if you're right. I played around with all the different "iPod to computer" programs (including CopyPod), and don't seem to recall that being possible.

larryfield - I guess your best option is to try CopyPod and see if that works. If not, you'll have to manually create them like I said earlier.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Somewhat ditto for me... I never used CopyPod in a real-world scenario... Rather I just tested it to see what it could do (and there have been several revisions since).

I know that iPodRip (for Mac) does this, as I've used it several times since moving my music library over to my Mini, but since this is in the iPod+Windows forum, I'm guessing that larryfield is looking for a Windows solution... :)