• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

How to convert STREAMING MEDIA onto ipod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

JMG

asdf
How to convert FREE MUSIC VIDEOS onto ipod

Okay this works for streaming media like those found on music.aol.com

To download the streaming media file use the directions found in this thread. I have copied the directions below:

ON MAC:
1. Using the Safari web browser, go to Music.aol.com and select the Videos tab.
2. Locate, but do not select, any video from the site's bigger-than-iTunes Music Store collection of videos.
3. From the "Window" menu at the top of your screen, open both Downloads and Activity windows. Make sure Activity is easy to find on your screen at all times.
4. Go to the AOL Music window and click on the video you want to download.
5. A new window will open on your screen with "AOL Video" in the top left corner. 90% of the time a Quicktime movie will appear on the left side of this window.
6. From the "View" menu at the top of your screen, select "View Source."
7. Scroll down to the bottom of the text window that opens up, then search upwards from the bottom until you find a .MOV file. Or you can use the "Find" command (Command-F) to search for .MOV.
8. Select the entire .MOV filename of the music video. It will look like "h tt p://progr essive.stream.aol.com/aol/us/aolmusic/art ists/universal/blackeyedpeas/blackey edpeas_heymama_80048_dl.mov".
9. Open a new Safari window (Command-N) and paste the URL into this window.
10. Look at the Activity window. You will see the same URL appear there, as a http: phrase. Hold down the Option button on your keyboard and click two times quickly on the URL in the Activity window. This will download the music video to your computer.
ON PC:
all you need is firefox and the user switcher.

Get the switcher here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=59

Once you have the switcher download the agents here:

http://techpatterns.com/downloads/firefox/useragentswitcher.xml
(right click and save as)

Then use the user agent options to import the xml file.

You might have to ad the user agent button to your toolbar. Just right click th etoolbar and click customize and drag the button over.

On movies.aol.com you should switch your user agent to any safari or netscape agent on Mac.. like Safari 125.8 (Mac OSX). Then when you go to the aol site you will get the quicktime version of the video. Just right click the screen and view page source. Find the .mov and use a downloading program like NetTransport to download the stream. Just copy the file location and enter it into nettransport.
Now you shoudl have a .mov file that QT Pro won't let you export. To convert these files into "unlocked" or exportabe file you need VLC. Get it here:

http://www.videolan.org/

In VLC go to FILE>OPEN FILE
Do NOT drag file in or use quick open. Use OPEN FILE only.
A new window should pop up.
CLick on browse and point it to the .mov file you downloaded.
Click the stream output box on the lower left, then click Settings to the right of it.

Another new window should pop up.
Under Output Methods, click the File box then Browse for a destination. Remember this destination for later, that's where the "unlocked" file will be. (how many posts will we have asking "where is my file?!" cause no one knows how to read this part)

EDIT (12-01-05): I have just discovered that if you convert to MP4 as opposed to MOV this will solve the VIDEORA audio sync issue

Check the "File" box and select a destination, INCLUDING a filename, with the extension ".mp4"
Encapsulation Method should be MP4
Under Transcoding options click the Video and Audio codec boxes to select them and use the following settings:

Video Codec - mp4v, 768 kb/s, Scale=1
Audio Codec - mp4a, 192 kb/s, Channels=2

(note: you can probably use different bitrates, but the codecs MUST be MP4)

Click okay and the Stream output window will close

You should now be back at the "Open..." window where you selected the file. Just click OK.

At this point the player will start to encode the video. You can see the progress bar on the bottom of the player. Once it is done, nothing will pop-up, it will just stop working.

EDIT (04-02-06): iTunes now has the ability to convert the non-ipod format mp4s to ipod format mp4s. I have incorporated this featre into this tutoria.l

Now you should have a .MP4 file ready to convert via Videora, OT Pro or iTunes itself. Videora is faster, so use QT PRO or iTunes if Videora has problems.

Anyway in Videora just use these settings:

MPEG-4/320x240/768kbps/128kbps

In QT PRO just use the iPod settings.
In itunes just import the video, right click it and click "Convert Selection For iPod".

Last edited:

phillip.deal

finally, a definitive method. but i've actually run into some problems. everything works alright until i import the final mp4 file into iTunes, where if i play the file, the audio and video don't sync up. i've tried reducing the bit rate on both the audio and the video codecs, but there always seems to be a two-second delay between the audio and video. the original mov file is fine. has anyone else ran into this problem? thanks.

JMG

asdf
did you use videora or QT PRO to do the final conversion? I've noticed audio sync issues with Videora that using QT PRO solves when converting some of the music videos. If you don't have QT PRO then try changing the frame rate to 29.97.

phillip.deal

it seems that changing the framerate made it worse. question: when i'm choosing the directory to save the file in VLC, do i need to give it an extension like .mov or something? or just leave it alone.

JMG

asdf
phillip.deal said:
it seems that changing the framerate made it worse. question: when i'm choosing the directory to save the file in VLC, do i need to give it an extension like .mov or something? or just leave it alone.
just leave it alone. You can change the extention later if it doesn't work.

Looks like QT PRo is the way to go until videora fixes this problem. I hear good thisngs about PQDVD as well.

Viper2005

Is there a process that doesn't involve recompressing/transcoding the video twice? I mean, the quality of the AOL videos is bad enough already without having to reduce it twice...

JMG

asdf
Viper2005 said:
Is there a process that doesn't involve recompressing/transcoding the video twice? I mean, the quality of the AOL videos is bad enough already without having to reduce it twice...
no the first process makes a new "unlocked" quicktime so you can't skip this. If there is a better way, I hope someone posts it here soon.

tinymonkey

worked GREAT for me, i had one video out of 5 that was out of sync (Bloodhound Gang - Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo), im still playing with bitrate and stuff with no luck, but JMG thank you VERY much for this very clear process, i was getting tired of reading through all those threads, hopefully someone will come up with a way to sync the audio and video...

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I'm using a PC with Firefox and I got the switcher and I downloaded the XML file. It says to use user agent options to import it. How do I do that?

JMG

asdf
Questionableone said:
any method for .wmv or other streaming media types?
.wmv will work as well. Just open it as described in VideoLan and convert to .mov

JMG

asdf
MattPaintballer said:
I'm using a PC with Firefox and I got the switcher and I downloaded the XML file. It says to use user agent options to import it. How do I do that?

Add the user agen button to your toolbar by right clicking the toolbar adn clicking customize. Find the user agen icon (a globe) and drag it to your toolbar. Click the user agent icon to bring up the list of agents and selece Safari 85 or any Mac program.

On movies.aol.com you should switch your user agent to any safari or netscape agent on Mac.. like Safari 85 (Mac OSX). Then when you go to the aol site you will get the quicktime version of the video. Just right click the screen and view page source. Find the .mov and use a downloading program like NetTransport to download the stream.

Walker

Website
hackaday.com
You can also use a program called WM Recorder for Yahoo Music videos, it rips the stream as it downloads, as Yahoo's streams are very hard to download from.

JMG

asdf
Questionableone said:
i meant downloading it from the web, not converting it for ipod viewing
There are 3 methods.

1) right click media player and click properties. You should see a source code on the bottom of the window that pops up. Highlight it anc ctrl-c (copy). Open up net transport and click new. If clipboard monitoring is enabled (by default it is) then the address you coped should already be in the URL box. Just select a destination and hit ok.

2) In firefox - if it won't let you right click in the screen with windows media player then right click anywhere else in the window and click "FlashGot All". (If you don't have flashgot then you must download the extension. Google it) Select net transport to download all. ONE of the files it will attempt to download should be a .wmv file. This works only some of the time depending how the page is coded.

3) In firefox - right click and view source. Search for the .wmv file and you should find the url for the source .wmv file. Highlight it and copy. Open up net transporter and download as in step 1.

JMG

asdf
EDIT (12-01-05): I have just discovered that if you convert to MP4 as opposed to MOV in videolan, this will solve the VIDEORA audio sync issue

Movies that were out of sync using the former method of using VIdeolan to convert to mov as opposed to mp4 are now in sync when using videolan to convert to mp4 then Videora to convert to ipod compatable mp4. I have no idea why, but it works. Maybe Videora doesn't like mov files? Use the same settings in Vidoera.

tinymonkey

hmm JMG i didnt have any luck, could you be more specific maybe? in videolan all i changed was the mov to mp4...is there more i should be doing, i then converted with the same setting with no luck in videora!

JMG

asdf
tinymonkey said:
hmm JMG i didnt have any luck, could you be more specific maybe? in videolan all i changed was the mov to mp4...is there more i should be doing, i then converted with the same setting with no luck in videora!
Encapsulation Method should be MP4 under stream output settings.

After converting about 5 vidoes last night only ONE had was out of sync. QT PRO solved that.

tinymonkey

alright i guess ill just try another video then because thats what i did...