• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

How to convert STREAMING MEDIA onto ipod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

tinymonkey

im using videolan, and doing everything the same excepting instead of clicking mov im clicking mp4, then i convert that in videora using the settings that i have been, and i put it in itunes and the video is still out of sync, just like when i clicked mov instead of mp4...

JMG

asdf
^ that's why I mentioned using QT PRO even when the mp4 technique doesn't work. The mp4 technique solved MOST of my sync issues, but for some reason I still had 1 out of 6 videos that were out of sync.

tinymonkey

yea well ill deal with it...after chirstmas and next car insurance bill maybe ill spend $30 on that....

Sexy350zstud03

I just noticed that if you download from a site like pcplanets.com which has a huge selection you can cut out the vlc part. You don't even need firefox or any of that just net transport and videoria ipod converter.

iPod_Greg

Thanks for the great mini-tutorial, seems like a good process for preparing the videos. I haven't had a problem downloading the videos on my WinXP PC using Firefox & the user agent switcher....ended up with some nice quicktime movies. However, I am encountering a problem with VLC, and am hoping someone can offer a solution/suggestion. I have applies all the correct settings in the Streaming options, but when I go to transcode the video, nothing happens, and I found the following erroe in the "Messages" (under View>)
main error: invalid chain
stream_out_transcode error: cannot create chain
main error: stream chained failed for `transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=768,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channels=2}'
main error: cannot start stream output instance, aborting
I then found the File checkbox under output settings, which th OP did not mention in their post, but decided to try checking it anyway, specifying a output location and file name. This seems to work, but it generates a file with an unknown file type (Windows ony displays it as a "File") This file will work fine in Videora, but I'm wondering if that is what should happen. Shouldn't the output file from VLC be an MP4? Also, shouldn't the originally mentioned settings work, withough selecting the File checkbox? Or am I just missing something/becoming a noob? Thanks for any help!

--Greg

Sexy350zstud03

try and use pcplanets.com to get your videos they are .asx. All you need is net transport and videoria. You don't need firefox or vlc. I found the videos are of the same quality, easier to convert becuase there is less steps and they have a much bigger selection.

JMG

asdf
iPod_Greg said:
I have applies all the correct settings in the Streaming options, but when I go to transcode the video, nothing happens, and I found the following erroe in the "Messages" (under View>)

I then found the File checkbox under output settings, which th OP did not mention in their post, but decided to try checking it anyway, specifying a output location and file name. This seems to work, but it generates a file with an unknown file type (Windows ony displays it as a "File") This file will work fine in Videora, but I'm wondering if that is what should happen. Shouldn't the output file from VLC be an MP4? Also, shouldn't the originally mentioned settings work, withough selecting the File checkbox? Or am I just missing something/becoming a noob? Thanks for any help!

--Greg
Your welcome Greg, and thanks for giving me the heads up. I didn't realize I totally forgot to include that part about checking the file box. I edited my original post. And you MUST type in a filename with the correct extension depending what encapsulation method you use, which in this case is MP4. For the files you already encoded, just add the correct extension, no need to redo it. Nice to know videora was intuitive enough to still convert it though.

iPod_Greg

Thanks for the quick replies...glad I could (kinda) help you clear up the original post, JMG, and thanks for the tips. Time to get more videos....

--Greg

lerkaile

I need some help, here's my issue.
I've gotten as far as to use VLC to 'unlock' the video by streaming it out, but I don't seem to get the audio segment. I'm sure i checked the box for audio codec and stuff.

The original video has got sound so its not frm source.

Is there anything I missed out?

JMG

asdf
lerkaile said:
I need some help, here's my issue.
I've gotten as far as to use VLC to 'unlock' the video by streaming it out, but I don't seem to get the audio segment. I'm sure i checked the box for audio codec and stuff.

The original video has got sound so its not frm source.

Is there anything I missed out?
I would just go through the steps again. Make sure you select the correct codec for audio (mp4a).

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
there is sad news for mac users who extract music videos from AOL. recently, Mac OS X, Safari are not compatible with watching them. I don't know why. it should be temporary situation. but when it will be available again?

lerkaile

JMG said:
I would just go through the steps again. Make sure you select the correct codec for audio (mp4a).
I've done that but with no success.
I'm sure i've selected the correct codec but there's still no sound.

Strange isn't it?

Could it be my copy of VLC?

Update
I got a new copy of VLC and it works like a charm!
Thanks for this tutorial on getting videos off.
I'm gonna be busy this festive season

Last edited:

Sexy350zstud03

Heres an idea i will post once again. Use pcplanets.com. It is so much faster, more videos, better quality, dont have to use vlc or firefox. Once you click on the name of the video it will take you to a code page not the movie. All you have to do is copy the code that ends with .asx and you dont have to switch to that safari thing either. Then download it in nettransport and then put it straight to videria ipod converter. It is so much easier than aol.

JMG

asdf
Sexy350zstud03 said:
Heres an idea i will post once again. Use pcplanets.com. It is so much faster, more videos, better quality, dont have to use vlc or firefox. Once you click on the name of the video it will take you to a code page not the movie. All you have to do is copy the code that ends with .asx and you dont have to switch to that safari thing either. Then download it in nettransport and then put it straight to videria ipod converter. It is so much easier than aol.
copying the .asx file only brings up a medialog in nettransport. Maybe you could be more specific.

Sexy350zstud03

copy the .asx file (everything in quotes not the quotes) and then download it thats all. It will bring up like 3 quick 2 second downloads for some reason and then the fourth will be the download

lerkaile

After downloading on the mac, I'll need to run it through VLC and it's ready for the iPod? Or should I run it through something like iSquint?

JMG

asdf
lerkaile said:
After downloading on the mac, I'll need to run it through VLC and it's ready for the iPod? Or should I run it through something like iSquint?
No, read the first post in this thread. You need to run it through Videora after VLC.