How to change location of the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Synthtony

I recently uninstalled iTunes on my PC as part of some systems upgrades. I have moved my iTunes media to another external hard drive from it typical Windows C drive location. I reinstalled latest iTunes back into its default location and pointed the program to my new library location. All work well. However the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder, which I use a lot, wants to add new media into the iTunes Media folder on my C drive. How can I get this to point to where my media is currently stored and have it add files there?

cjmnews

Staff member
Usually you map the Music folder for Windows to a different drive. Then your music is still in <login>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media....

Since you moved the iTunes Media folder, you may need to move it again after the process is complete. I would have a backup of my Music as a precaution.

I did this on my system where my Music folder is on D: (2 TB drive) not C: so on your external drive make a Music folder and the steps in the link help you move the files from C: to the external drive.

After this is complete then move your iTunes Media folder into the external drive:\Music\iTunes.

Open iTunes and play a track. It should ask you to locate the file, navigate to external drive:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<artist>\<album>\<track>.<extension>

If it asks if you want to update the whole library to the new location answer positively.

Now everything should work as expected.
There is another way with a Junction in Windows but this is cleaner.