How to best eliminate massive duplication of tracks?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

robcharlus

Please choose the appropriate forum for this topic. Thank you. I recently had an unrelated problem with Windows that seemed to require a reinstall of Windows and thus loss of data. I turned my computer over to someone who works on them part time (mistake I think). Anyhow, he fixes the problem and saves my data by backing it up to a spare hard drive. I reinstalled iTunes and moved everything from My Music into the library.

Then I discovered that about 17 GB of my 24 GB library was duplicated in iTunes. In other words, iTunes now has 41 GB of music where there was only 24 GB before. And it's clear that this because almost everything is on there twice by using the feature in iTunes to generate a list of duplicate tracks.

With this long introduction, my question is there any way to get rid of the duplication other than generating a list of duplicate songs and eliminating the duplicates one by one? Could I uninstall iTunes, reinstall it, and then move my music from the iPod to iTunes? Do I need to also delete everything from My Music first (a little frightening)?