How the heck can you have so much music??!!!!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Dr.Gonzo

Sitting at around 6600+ songs. Most of which have been iTunes Purchases, eMusic Purchases and stuff from my personal CD collection - now in storage - and from frequent library trips where I can find some real dandies on occasion. The girth of my collection comes from listening to all different types of Music, from Rock to Bach, Marley to Miles Davis to Metallica, Johnny Cash to John Coltrane, plus world Music and some old school rap just for fun. I'm 33 years old, I grew up on my parents stuff, oldies, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Duane Eddy, and my Grandparents' stuff, Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc. And my sisters who were listening to Ted Nugent, Heart, BOC, and other stuff like that. And a lot of stuff I picked up from friends, and from my own discoveries.

To this day I still get a kick out of hearing John Coltrane in between Pantera and Tim McGraw on shuffle mode. :D

iTunes just for you is another good feature for discovery, although I have a few WTF moments with the single songs, even though the album suggestions are usually dead on.

Once my free government money gets here I'll look into springing for a 160GB iPod. By the time I fill that baby up we will be looking at 1 terabyte ipod touches. :D

memorrhagic

hmm most of you good guys got over 10,000 pieces of music...
i wonder do you really listen to all of them? or at least do you ever listen once, or knew what songs (the name or sort) did you have in the library? coz i hv 7000 in my hd, and half of them i didnt even knew what they sound like..

hexonxonx

When I first got my iPod Classic in September, I barely had just over 3,000 songs. Now I have almost 8,300. Allot of it I have simply because I had them on LP from years ago. I play them occasionally and some I have even forgotten are even on my iPod, till I start scrolling through the artists. Some of them I loved when they first came out such as the Who's Who are you. I played that a few weeks ago and wondered why I was so obsessed with it when it first came out and why I don't feel like that all these years later. Some of them I play and it seems like old times again.

Then there are times that I am seriously into buying so much new music that I don't even have a chance to play it all such as when I bought the Complete Bob Dylan. That was back in November and well, I think I have only played 4 of the CDs out of all of them. Then I buy other CDs and I play them over and over again.

No matter what, the fact is, is that I bought the 160GB Classic simply because I can have everything with me because I never know what I will feel like listening to. One night this week it was all Skinny Puppy, last night was Gary Numan. A few nights ago, BLack Sabbath with Dio as the singer. Another night all country. Oh and not to forget Peter Paul and Mary a few weeks back. Yeah, I got all kinds of stuff on my iPod. One of these days, I'll listen to every one of those Bob Dylan songs, it's just not time yet.

yope

My wife and I have very disparate music tastes, so our library has a very eclectic mix. Our music collection has grown over time, we used to buy loads of CD's until we got our Yahoo! Unlimited subscription. Thanks to that the music collection grew to almost 8000 songs with a CD downloaded every week or so.

Dr.Gonzo

memorrhagic said:
hmm most of you good guys got over 10,000 pieces of music...
i wonder do you really listen to all of them? or at least do you ever listen once, or knew what songs (the name or sort) did you have in the library? coz i hv 7000 in my hd, and half of them i didnt even knew what they sound like..
To me that's part of the beauty of it. I hear stuff on Shuffle Mode I never knew I had, and it usually sounds good. Oh yeah, my collection is now approaching 7000.

bdb

On the B side of life
I'll listen to albums more than anything, and I definitely listen to those. Some of it is older stuff that doesn't get much use lately, though.

I get a lot of various singles from blogs, label websites, etc, and they end up in giant directories of songs that don't have any categorization or reason, and I don't really get much use out of those.

I just checked my list of songs: 36,000. I didn't realize I had that many!

Stay Alive 305

iPhone 3G Owner
Website
www.myspace.com
I only have about 1,000 songs and about 100 of them are by (or featuring) Eminem. The reason my collection is small is because I buy all my songs from iTunes or AmazonMP3. The reason I have so many Eminem songs is because, well I think we all know how amazing Eminem is.

toothpaste

I was backing up my library for the first time in a few weeks (i know, should do it daily) and I ran out of room. So looking closer at my itunes library I started to delete music that I don't listen to and never will. I deleted around 1200 songs, give or take a few which is about ~5gb. This still puts me over 260gb. What I decided to do is archive all my dj sets and digital conversions of tapes onto dvds, since I don't really listen to them as much anymore. But music from my youth pre digital is hard to come by. Considering most djs including myself back then would record mixes on tapes. Anyway......

I figure that I should be able to reclaim around ~20gb. So now I'm just keeping music I'm into, I can always get rock from my dad if I'm in the mood for older stuff.

TBojars

Future Social Worker
Just bought a new ipod 80gb. I have 4,100 songs, 31 youtube clips, and 8 movies. Planning on adding more. :) My music ranges from folk music to bands like killswitch engage and techno.

toothpaste

I recently purchased a 1TB external and 1TB internal to accommodate more music. Everything was backed up until last week, yesterday my Powermac g5 died. Now it's bring it back to life as well as doing damage assessment on the drives to see if data was lost or corrupted.

I have access to ~60,000 tracks from another library to grow mine, but it will have to wait a bit.

I feel for you. Had that happen to me and still debating if I should send my 500GB external HD to have it salvaged by the pros. I got a disk write error and now it won't mount for me to do it myself. Most of my library has been restored but some of the files I need were backed up onto the ext HD.

Chricton

I'm so crazy about backups I feel I need at least 2 of everything. I have my 343GB (50047 tracks) of music in two seperate places, and my fast growing hi-def movie collection copied on two drives, that totalling about 300GB each at the moment. A year ago I never expected that to be an issue, but watching them on my PS3 from either my computer or external drive is addicting.

I think in total I have two 640GB's, a single 320GB, and 3 160GB's. Plus the music on the internal 500GB.
I can't wait in a couple years bluray burners will hopefully be cheaper and backing up 50GB discs will ease some of my needless worries.

badlertuneup

I want to get a TB for just my music. I have way too much. I easily am breaking the 200gb mark and I get more music by the week. Seriously ridiculous.

OverFifty

Honestly, most of us (unless you're in the DJ biz and even then...) will never have the need for the kind of space today's iPods provide, much less future iPods. (Even if you use your 120 GB for mostly movies...that's a lot of movies!) But...I'm old skool (over 50). And I had older sisters who introduced me to music. So my tastes range from the 50's to today. And like "in the olden days" when you could sit on the floor & pull out LPs from your collection, it is very cool to be out with someone & mention a song or artist & be able to pull it up on your iPod & have a listen. ;-)

HOWEVER...as a marathoner, I DO find the 8 & 16 gb nanos practical & great for my long runs. I can load them up & not have to swap out songs every day or even every week & yet still be able to have a good variety of songs to listen to over several hours of running. 20 years ago, I used to run with one of the first Sony Walkmans (cassette tapes) and would carry a fanny pack with several extra tapes, so I wouldn't have to listen to the same songs over & over on each run. Yeah, I got proficient at swapping out tapes without even having to stop running. ;-) It still amazes me that today, I can pack a Nano in like 1/8 th the space of the Sony Walkman & have 1000 or 2000 songs in such a small footprint. And what with music managers, I don't even have to suffer through the songs I don't like, since you simply don't even load them onto the iPod! (With the Walkman cassette players, you either had to suffer through them or fast forward/check to see where you are.)

OsiPod

kpax said:
ok ive recently got a 60gb 5G video and right now im just trying to cram all my music into the ipod. its been 2 weeks now and ive uploaded almost all of the albums in my CD collection and all of them i bought online/had in my computer and its not even reaching 7gbs. i have over 1200 songs i thought it wa a big collection but some of you guys are saying that your 60GB isnt even enough for your collection!! how the hell can you have so much music and how long have you guys been collecting??
Hey all, I see this initial post made 3 years ago and have been browsing but I haven't seen anyone talk in this thread about bit rate and how that affects how much you can store. Do most people rip in the iTunes default AAC? I changed that as I was ripping my collection of 3000 CD's (not bragging, I'm a music fanatic and love buying music) to MP3 and 192K and just recently, I'm doing some of the better remastered stuff at 256K. I am hoping that we'll get larger capacities in the future so that we can have the convenience of portable music but at higher sound qualities.

TBojars

Future Social Worker
At this moment I have about 1200 songs. I accidently deleted my entire library off my 250gb drive. Before my ipod got wiped out, I had about 5600 songs. Right now, I'm going thru and listening to every track and rating them to make new playlists. Great thread by the way!

TBojars

Future Social Worker
OsiPod said:
Hey all, I see this initial post made 3 years ago and have been browsing but I haven't seen anyone talk in this thread about bit rate and how that affects how much you can store. Do most people rip in the iTunes default AAC? I changed that as I was ripping my collection of 3000 CD's (not bragging, I'm a music fanatic and love buying music) to MP3 and 192K and just recently, I'm doing some of the better remastered stuff at 256K. I am hoping that we'll get larger capacities in the future so that we can have the convenience of portable music but at higher sound qualities.

I encode at 320 mp3. I think it uses more space encoding that high. I encode at 320 since I can't hear that great so 320 I think helps me hear the music just a little clearer.

Code Monkey

TBojars said:
I encode at 320 mp3. I think it uses more space encoding that high. I encode at 320 since I can't hear that great so 320 I think helps me hear the music just a little clearer.
That statement could hardly be any more incorrect if you'd said encoding at 320 helped you see better and read people's minds.

The percentage of people who can ABX between even 192VBR kbps and lossless is less than 1% of the population, and these are people who not only have above "20/20" hearing, but have also trained their ears to notice extremely subtle nuances that lossy encoding is prone toward.

If you have poorer hearing, you should be encoding at *lower* bitrates, not higher.

TBojars

Future Social Worker
Code Monkey said:
That statement could hardly be any more incorrect if you'd said encoding at 320 helped you see better and read people's minds.

The percentage of people who can ABX between even 192VBR kbps and lossless is less than 1% of the population, and these are people who not only have above "20/20" hearing, but have also trained their ears to notice extremely subtle nuances that lossy encoding is prone toward.

If you have poorer hearing, you should be encoding at *lower* bitrates, not higher.

Hmmm...never looked at it that way.thanks Code Monkey