How the heck can you have so much music??!!!!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Jimmy97

I'm 15, with a 2.5GB library. Low? Yeah, I know. But it's growing rapidly, right now, around 1GB/month or more, and I don't plan on slowing down. I'd go faster had my internet been faster, but it takes me a while to download a 1GB file (for example), not to mention the TV shows I download each week. I only recently started collecting music seriously (2 months ago). Right now I'm downloading Pink Floyd's full discography :D
I like having a lot of music, but the bad part is that my iPhone (which I use as my primary media player) only has 16GB, and I already have a LOT of videos in my library. I like having both an iPod (a really good one) and a phone in one device, so I won't buy a 120GB classic. But I can deal with that later.

Also, I think I very well might take around half (the ones I like) my friend's 60GB music library (which is growing faster than mine). He has the 160GB classic. I should put a reminder.

g0tVTEC

I am currently in the process of converting my whole library to FLAC/ALAC and 320kpbs. A FLAC album is on average 500MB. I also convert everything to ALAC for it to be compatible with my iPod. That means each album I have is about 1GB. I recently purchased a 1TB external hard drive and I use it to store my music collection.

skruggie

I'm finding the best way to grow a library relatively quickly is the used market - second hand cd's and vinyl can be acquired really cheaply, and the best part is that the music can be ripped at whatever bitrate you prefer.

autumnrain

Website
www.myspace.com
I agree with Wednesday-quality not quantity.
I'm in love with music and have been collecting for only a few years (since 06) and my collection has been growing rapidly since then. I currently have 10025 songs on my iPod and I can honestly say I shuffle with joy. There are a lot of songs on my iTunes that I don't have on my pod simply because I don't like them so much.

patrickrlewis

Website
www.myspace.com
I used to be a DJ and in 2004 I stopped. At the time, I had over 25,000 songs in my collection. I sold everything except for about 1000 songs, then started building it again with stuff I actually want.

Currently, I have a 1tb external, a 500gb external, a 250gb WD Passport drive and a 500gb WD Passport drive.

The only one that has space on it is the 500gb WD Passport, and it now has less than half capacity full.

toothpaste

digging up some old thread here....

just got my new computer only to notice now, that with a large library with play counts, ratings, etc. it's more difficult for me to organize it all my way.

have to figure out a few things.

miTunes75

Toothpaste what computer did u just get. I'm interested in seeing how you're able to keep all your playcountz and ratings. Pls post how u were able to get that done.

RabbinsDuck

I currently have about 540 GB, but still have a lot of duplicates to get rid of.
I also am trying to rate every single song I have, which I know will take years.

At one point I had 1/3 of it all rated, but had a crash (and had backed up all songs - just not ratings/play counts/etc.).

Member of eMusic; actively search around for free music; get CDs from the library and had a very large collection to start -- I keep an external hard drive with me most of the time, and will usually grab music (and give) whenever at a friend's place.

Nowadays, I might grab 20 gb from a friend, upload it and spend days deleting duplicates only to discover about 1 gb of music I did not already have -- ah well, still worth it.

Quite honestly, I hope the music library I am building will be taken over at some point by my son and passed down generation to generation -- kinda cool to think about.

toothpaste

Toothpaste what computer did u just get. I'm interested in seeing how you're able to keep all your playcountz and ratings. Pls post how u were able to get that done.
I purchased a Macbook Pro. At the time, I thought it would be pretty easy to keep everything intact. I was wrong, the older version of iTunes did not use iTunes Library.itl. I kept the directory structure of my old library, I even named my HD the same so that iTunes Music Library.xml would be able to find the music again with the intent on leaving the existing playcounts and ratings. No go.

I was able to revive my Powermac G5 with my original library on it. However, there has been so much music added/deleted on my Macbook Pro that the libraries don't resemble each other. I have not given up on solving this issue because frankly I'm not keen on relistening to all that music to re rate it all. The powermac is boxed up for now, my music acquisition has dwindled to nothing the past few years.

My current stats are

38493 songs
126 days continuous music
241.97gb

I have more on a 1TB external, but I'm just not motivated enough to go through it all. I get audiobooks now, and listening to rosetta stone.

Awesome thread from years ago. Miss some of you regulars from my time. Till we meet again. :)

sallenmd

Old Thread Revived

Interesting that toothpaste chose to revive such an old thread. I always laugh at people like the OP who erroneously think that music libraries are to be measured in GB. That is an irrelevant comparison because it is entirely dependent on the bitrates of the tracks. My lossless tracks take up far more space each than the crappy 128K ones I bought from the iTunes store back before iTunes Plus. Now that storage is plentiful and dirt cheap, there is no reason to rip anything but lossless.

I've been collecting music since since I was 14 way back in 1973. My taste runs the gamut of genres and 40 years of collecting means my library is approaching 200,000 tracks, the majority ripped from CDs I bought with my own hard-earned money. (I have no idea how many of those I own, but it's at least 3,000.) Yes, there are songs I only listen to once every couple of years, but I love having whatever I want at my fingertips, and not controlled by the owner of some cloud server.

toothpaste

This site and forums at one point in time, was the place to be. While I have been collecting music in vinyl, tapes, cds and now 320kbps or flac for a long time, I was certainly exposed to some really cool stuff on here. I agree with you sallenmd, it takes a more in depth look at the issue than how much music one has in terms of simply looking at GB.