How the heck can you have so much music??!!!!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
buying and stealing CDs from bit torrent for the last 4 years has brought me to 120gb of music sitting at around 33,000 mp3's.

Ausar

Twitter @Connectz_357
Im around 17,000. But that number is constantly shrinking and growing as I add and get rid of songs. And yes, I do get stuff from the iTunes store.

Germansuplex

Thanks to free legal music on various sites, my CD collection, bumming old CDs off of friends and family, and a great local music store with dirt-cheap ($1-$4 used CDs), I've gotten roughly 17,000 tracks. I rip a lot of my DVD's, download all the free iTunes videos and purchase some stuff as well, so my collection is growing nicely.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
I looked at my "Purchased" playlist the other day, and was surprised to see over 600 tracks in it.

I'd say about 40% is actually paid for, the rest is free downloads.

Some songs I've deleted after downloading (for free) after buying the physical CD - like Paul McCartney's Nod Your Head single, since I got the album.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
laureleaf said:
That kind of makes me salivate. I have a weird love of tagging music, it's so calming. I've already done just about everyone I know who lets me near their collection.
I went through the Mac in the band room one day because I was sick of seeing "John Philip Sousa," "John Phillip Sousa," "Jon Philip Sousa," and "John Philip Sousa."

I spent about an hour going through about three-thousand songs, eliminating duplicate artists, condensing genres (do we need "Hip-Hop/Rap" and "Hip Hop/Rap?"), and renaming tracks that were very, very wrong.

big angry

kpax said:
ok ive recently got a 60gb 5G video and right now im just trying to cram all my music into the ipod. its been 2 weeks now and ive uploaded almost all of the albums in my CD collection and all of them i bought online/had in my computer and its not even reaching 7gbs. i have over 1200 songs i thought it wa a big collection but some of you guys are saying that your 60GB isnt even enough for your collection!! how the hell can you have so much music and how long have you guys been collecting??
I hear you.......I've got 600+ CDs plus another 30 or so vinyl LPs. I've got 325 on the iPod right now and it's taking up 15 GB.

I have no idea how people are filling up the hard drives on these things, unless they're carrying around a ton of movies on them too.

Chricton

I think I was sitting at 32,000 last time I posted in this topic..
Right now I'm in the grueling task or re-ripping a lot of my older music that I foolishly encoded at 128kbps...I got a new 5.1/DTS system for my computer and they sound hollow compared to the 320/lossless stuff.

Last edited:

Germansuplex

One thing I've enjoyed doing is ripping all my concert DVDs and going through my regular movie DVDs and looking for audio to rip, be it from music videos (which I'll usually also encode the video for the iPod) or who knows what else.

hexonxonx

When I bought my 160GB Classic in September, I had about 3,000 songs to load on it. Now I have just over 8,000. 2500 of those 5,000 I have gained since September I have purchased from iTunes and the rest I have downloaded from other places or ripped from my CDs.

I check out the Usenet Newsgroups allot because it's a nice way to get entire group catalogs but it is a very slow way to do it since you have to wait for someone to do it. Eventually it will get posted in the next few months. I don't like torrents. Tried them in the past and sometimes it takes hours to download something there and I don't think it's very secure anyways.

KG GT500

I have just over 700 songs. It has taken me nearly 4 years to get this much together. I'd estimate that I've downloaded *less than legally if you catch my drift* around 150 songs; I've purchased about 200 songs *legally* from the iTunes Store; and the remaining 350 songs are ripped from CDs I've purchased. Not too bad I think. I barely listen to all of it as is. HaHa

idolangelx13

I have around 350 songs from iTunes in 6 months - around 68 songs for other people for their ipods.Also I have ripped 20 cds to put on my Ipod but I have lost count because I add and contanstly delete songs most days on to my ipod

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
hexonxonx said:
I don't like torrents. Tried them in the past and sometimes it takes hours to download something there and I don't think it's very secure anyways.
It can be relatively slow, but other times it can be 700kbps and that's when torrents really rock.

toothpaste

"I am invincible man". Oh sorry wrong thread.

I haven't been on the computer aside from work, which is mandatory, so I haven't really spent any time with my music. I haven't updated my ipod in weeks, and I haven't purchased any music or been doing the music swap thing.

But when I do, I'm getting 3-5 cd's a week on a slow week.

Yoder

Website
www.co-bw.com
Hmm, allow me to throw some gasoline into the fire. There is a lot support for music pirating here. I do not support DRM, RIAA, etc., nor do I support the theft of music in a large scale. It is one thing to snag a song or two to listen to the artist to see if he/she/they suit your fancy. But, to steal from artists just because you do not want to pay is not cool. Sure, groups like the Rolling Stones have more money than they need and they are the groups that DRM and RIAA seem to be targeting for protection.

The independent artists do not get the same type of backing from the RIAA as the big boys...there is no money in it for the coporations. These indy's are the folks who depend on music sales for a living, and when their music is pirated then there is less dough for them. I know a very successful jazz guitarist. He was huge in Russia, Japan, and Europe. This guy is pushing 60 now, and for many years I watched him barely make ends meet. The reason is that his music was pirated overseas and he did not make a penny. Instead, he would pull in his monthly check from the RIAA that didn't even pay the utilities.

Stealing music indiscriminantly hurts the very artists that we cherish. If you steal to get a feel for the artist then fine, but if you later decide that you like the group then you should throw some cash their way by buying some of their music.

Being a former software engineer, I also saw how pirating software hurt the market and led to job cuts.

Bottom line, if you like something that much and use it then you should buy it.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
I spent 12 American dollars on a keychain, the vast majority of cash went to the band, I would assume. I'm willing to spend money to get music, and I do often, but sometimes the amount of music I want is greater than the amount of money I make.

Last edited:

The Duffer

...of St George
Hello,

The biggest libraries are built over time, being an avid collector of many types of music across several formats also results in a well stocked library. I began collecting 7" singles in the 70's (mainly punk & then ska,reggae,post-punk & northern soul) before starting on albums and then CDs, branching out into digital dowloads a few years ago.

After spending a few years digitizing my vinyl collection with the help of my friends I began ripping CDs which left me with an archive of over 100,000 tracks. It's big sure but then I am a keen collector and have had over 30 years to amass such a huge number of albums.

The main point is quality and not quantity, what's the point in having so many tracks if you'll never want to play them? It's all too easy to get hung up on the numbers - just relax and immerse yourself in the music, you'll no doubt have many thousands of tunes by the time you get on the wrong side of 40!

Enjoy the music.

The Duffer

Last edited:

toothpaste

baggss said:
Heh, I just had a massive hard-drive/external case meltdown. I'm recovering the data off one of the drives (the bigger chunk of my Rock genre) but the other drive is questionable. Good news is, I found a Mac App that will actually recover data from a damaged drive.
What is the name of the app?:confused:

kellyhuckaby

i have roughly 6000 songs, mostly from my cd collection and friends. I will admit that 1/4 of my songs are downloaded, but i don't feel guilty because i still support the artists by going to their concerts and buying tons of merch where everything is so overpriced to begin with.

Music Hunter

i have 8,000+ songs and its still growing i got years more to collect i have a big taste in music from ska to the 70's and im only 17