How do you permanently remove lyrics from an MP3 on iTunes?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cucuzza

Equipment: PC/Windows 10
iTunes version: 12.10.3.1

Issue: Some of my songs have "custom lyrics" that were put there by the original artist, but I don't want them there. Even if I uncheck the box for Custom Lyrics, it still stays. I've even used the scripts here (http://samsoft.org.uk/itunes/scripts.asp) which are wonderful, but unfortunately, even these don't work.

Question: Do you know how I can permanently clear customer lyrics from the MP3?

cjmnews

Staff member
Nice set of scripts. Visual Basic instead of the JavaScript I normally use.

I assume you tried ClearLyrics, what was the result?
Did you try KeywordToLyrics on the selected tracks and put a space as the keyword?

I can write a script as well. I probably have something close to what you need. Nothing as fancy as these though.

OliverYY

To delete lyrics from a single song:
Start iTunes on your computer, select the song from which you want to delete lyrics, do "Get Info," go to lyrics tab, delete lyrics, click "Ok."

To mass delete lyrics from many songs at once, you'll need to find and download an mp3 tag editor.

cjmnews

Staff member
Oliver's reply did remind me of something cucuzza, iTunes is notoriously bad at updating MP3 files of data changes.

My guess is that you ran the ClearLyrics script, and the lyrics were initially gone, but once you played the song they reappeared.

The fix is to FORCE iTunes to update the MP3 files.
Select all the MP3 files
Run the ClearLyrics script
Ensure the MP3 files are still selected
Click on File->Convert->Convert ID3 Tags
Check ID3 tag version
Select v2.3
Click OK

Now the lyrics will be gone.