How do I move my music from broken PC to new PC

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

db-01

I have a PC with a RAID 0 volume error, it will almost certainly mean returning the PC to the manufacturer for fixing, this may also mean getting it back minus all my music.

I have made a copy of the \My Documents\My Music folder in it's entirity and put this copy on an external USB2 drive. Is there anything else I need to make a copy of prior to sending my PC away?

I'm presuming that when I get my PC back, I can copy to files back into \My Documents\My Music and then ask iTunes to search for existing music and all will be back to normal?

What will happen to my iPhone when I re-connect it to the fixed computer? Will it simply re-sync and that will be that? (ie, it won't throw up any errors that it is being connected to a 'new' computer).

Thanks for any help :)

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
You want to backup your music files and the iTunes music database. If all those are on your 'My Music' folder then you are good to go. By default the database is placed on that folder but it's possible to change it's location. As for music files only you know where they are originally located. It's possible iTunes will make some copies in AAC and put them in the folder where the database is located.

But I'm curious that you even have access to your HD as a RAID0 error type will render all the content of the drive corrupted. RAID0 splits the data between two different physical drives and when one becomes inaccessible you loose all the data.

db-01

All my music files are in the My Music folder (MP3, AAC etc). What is the music database?

Yeah I know the RAID 0 error is very odd.

I get a popup from the icon tray telling me that there are reported write errors on the RIAD0 volume. When I boot up the PC, the two hard drives that are in it show ERRORS REPORTED or something similar in big red letter, I then have the option to press ctrl-I to enter the setup and in there I have options to re-build, or remove the RAID and revert to normal, but I'm told that becasue it is RAID 0 it will errase all data. Anyhow, the PC us under warranty and I would rather it went back and was repaired / re-built. Who knows, there could be controller card issues or something?

I can't even use the Intel Application Accelerator RAID software, when I open it, I get a message that 'the user does not have the specified rights', but my login account has admin rights! (even if I right click and 'start as admininstrator' I still cannot perform any of the functions.

Oddly enough, I'm thinkning of changing to an iMAC and getting a huge external drive and turning on the Time Machine thingy. I dread to think that I could have potentially lost 7 years worth of digital photography of my family from my PC.

S2_Mac

The "database file" (perhaps better called an "index file") is "iTunes Library.itl", located right at the top level of the "iTunes" folder. (he file might also be named "iTunes Music Library.itl" if iTunes has had to repair it at some point.)

Easiest way to get everything moved is to copy the entire "iTunes" folder from one machine's My Music to the other's. That will transfer your index file, any non-embedded artwork files, and all your media files (music, movies, viddies, etc.).

snowdog99

If you backed up the whole of the "My Music" folder you've already got the relevant iTunes files, since they are in the "iTunes" folder which is in the "My Music" folder.

electrozoid

Apple Pie Eater
db-01 said:
Oddly enough, I'm thinkning of changing to an iMAC and getting a huge external drive and turning on the Time Machine thingy. I dread to think that I could have potentially lost 7 years worth of digital photography of my family from my PC.
RAID0 is not a "safe" drive for important files. Regardless if the computer is a PC or a Mac. You basically double your chances of loosing data as compared to using a single HD (assuming you're on a double-disk setup). And what's worse, in RAID0 if there is corruption the loss is total (all your files are lost). On a single HD, corruption could still allow recovery of the files in non affected areas of the disk, this is NOT possible with a RAID0 setup.

db-01

since posting this thread I have gone and purchased an iMac. Specifically which folder on the iMac do I copy the previoulsy backed-up iTunes folder? Or is it easier to connect the USB drive and choose import music from within iTunes and point it to the USB hard drive?