Honda Music Link or what?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

johnsomp

Has anyone tried the Honda Music Link for iPod now available for the Civic?

If not, does anyone have a 2006 Honda Civic in dash cd player, with an iPod hooked up? How did you do it, i.e., what did you use?

Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

MJ

trend53

Music Link for 2006 Honda Pilot

I'm interested in opinions also on the Music Link system in a 2006 Honda Pilot.

ludakrishna420

i have a 99 civic and recently got a 5G 30g video ipod. I tried hooking it up through the aux to the radio but the problem was that the sound only came out of the left speaker. Then i thought that it was my car. So, i tried it in my dad's car. 2004 pilot. The same problem. I went and returned it and bought myself a Kensington PICO. I have to say, i am really impressed by it (sound from both speakers)

Darrenq

I've had a MusicLink in my 2006 Odyssey since it was released in January. I'd recommend looking elsewhere. The interface is very poor. Using playlists isn't too bad, but searching for a song, album or artist can be horrible if you have a large database. The software runs in conjunction with iTunes and is very slow and cumbersome.

The only good things are the sound quality and the warranty, which is the same as your vehicle warranty if the dealer installs it.

IMO, a simple AUX input adapter that lets the iPod retain control would be better. There's a good webpage with a review, but I am unable to link it due to forum restrictions apparently. I think it comes up on a Google search pretty easily, though.

Flyboybob

I just bought my wife a new Honda Fit Sport. We have not taken delivery of the car and I enquired about the "Music Link for iPod" which is a dealer installed option for $595 US dollars. That's a ridiculous amount of money.

I plan on using the aux. input installed in the front of the radio and a charger for what used to be called the "cigar lighter and use the click wheel on the iPod to select the playlist." Has anyone tried this with a an iPod Nano with any success?

Darrenq

That dealer is going to have a lot of unhappy customers. I paid $170 delivered for parts online and $90 for a Honda dealer to install, labor only. Even at $260, I am disappointed. I can't imagine if I had spent $600. The parts kit is the same cost for the Fit. Maybe the install is significantly more difficult.

I only wish the Odyssey had an AUX input for a direct connection. Definitely save your money and buy a charger to do just what you described.

shermshermy

I have an Acura Music Link and a Honda Music Link. I am very disappointed with them. I wish Honda had designed them better. I also wish there were other 3rd party solution for direct connection in cars with nav systems. I paid $200 for each unit + $200 to install each. What a waste.

bootsie

I work at a Honda dealership, and of all of the new cars that we sell I don't remember ever seeing someone buy this item. I would never spend that much. I have had many of my customers use the aux imput jack in the civic and fit though, and they have been very happy with it. I personally own a 99 civic, it has an aftermarket panasonic deck that has an aux imput on the back. I used a cord and a mount it works pefectly and only cost me about $50.

rwjrn

Don't waste your money

I have an 06 Accord and was charged over 400 dollars for installation of the music link. They give you software that is supposed to create an audible database of your music and allow you to search for songs. Mine has never worked the way they claim. I have given up trying to make it work so if I want to listen to something in particular I remove it from the glovebox, find the song, artist, playlist etc. then start it playing then plug it back in to the glovebox. As you can imagine this is near impossible while you are driving. You can use the steering wheel controls to change songs or albums, but it's very unreliable. Despite re-installing the software several times I've never been able to find some songs. I think it quits after a certain number of songs that start with the same letter. I can never progress beyond Cake. Recently I spent several hours at the dealer because it stopped working completely. They told me they didn't know what was wrong and I must have a virus. That was when I discovered this forum and found out the recent iPod update was incompatible with the Honda software. Apple now has version 1.21 to fix bugs, but I'm still hesitant to install Honda's software yet again. The only good thing I can say about music link is the sound quality blows away an fm transmitter.

hongchoi

sorry to ressurect an old post, but....

I just picked up a 2007 Honda Civic Si w/o Navigation. I ordered the musiclink through ebay for $152 shipped (installed it myself...so easy!)

Compare to using the Ipod itself, ALL adapters/car stereos/etc are going to be clunky. Even with the supposed BEST car stereo/ipod combos it takes forever to find a song (again, relative to the speed of the ipod iteself).

With that being said, I really LIKE the musiclink adapter for my Honda. Using the text to speech software, I'm able to search for anything just my listening for the right artist/playlist/album/genre and hitting a track up button. I do recommend picking up some new text-to-speech engines like the At&T natural speaking since the one Windows comes with is garbage.

Also make sure you're using version 1.3 of the musiclink software if you're using itunes 7 and up.

Anyways....IMHO

spacemanspiff77

hongchoi said:
sorry to ressurect an old post, but....

I just picked up a 2007 Honda Civic Si w/o Navigation. I ordered the musiclink through ebay for $152 shipped (installed it myself...so easy!)

Compare to using the Ipod itself, ALL adapters/car stereos/etc are going to be clunky. Even with the supposed BEST car stereo/ipod combos it takes forever to find a song (again, relative to the speed of the ipod iteself).

With that being said, I really LIKE the musiclink adapter for my Honda. Using the text to speech software, I'm able to search for anything just my listening for the right artist/playlist/album/genre and hitting a track up button. I do recommend picking up some new text-to-speech engines like the At&T natural speaking since the one Windows comes with is garbage.

Also make sure you're using version 1.3 of the musiclink software if you're using itunes 7 and up.

Anyways....IMHO
Well, now I have some thinking to do. Every other person I've talked with says the thing is garbage. I have an 06 Si with navigation and a 5G 30GB and really want this MusicLink but afraid it's a waste of money. BTW, are you a member of www.8thcivic.com?